Thread: "I Took Care of Your Cat Today"

"I Took Care of Your Cat Today"

I Took Care of Your Cat Today.

You know the one I mean - the kitten you got your kids a few months ago. The one that you said they could have if it stayed outside all the time (I guess you didn't want to have to change the litterbox), and the kids said wouldn't cost much to feed because they'd give it table scraps?

That cat, a beautiful black and white shorthair, now about a year old, has been hanging around outside my house for several weeks now. He likes the real cat food he gets here, probably because it's in his food dish on a regular basis and he knows he can count on being able to eat when he's hungry. He's still not completely convinced that there will be food waiting, though, and will chow down an entire can in just a few minutes, then come to the door asking for more. I guess you didn't tell your kids he should have food on a regular basis. I guess you didn't think to tell your kids that he should have water, either.

He's a very friendly cat, and I have to confess I'm not sure how that happened, because I get the impression that nobody has been paying any attention to him. He has a wonderful loud purr, and he loves to be petted. He puts his paws around my neck - does he do that with you?

I guess you haven't figured out what all the fighting and yelling has been about, outside your window at 2-3 in the morning. It's because he's growing up and arguing with the other male cats in the neighborhood for the females (all the other ones that nobody else bothered to get spayed and neutered either).

You apparently didn't see the wound to his ear and above his eye a week ago. That was, of course, before I brought him into the house and washed and medicated them - or maybe you saw the wounds and thought they somehow magically healed themselves.

The big gash on his leg from his most recent argument, though, I couldn't fix that. It was oozing pus, and those dark marks all down his leg weren't an extension of his black spots - they were dried blood. And I guess you didn't notice that he was limping and his leg was swollen up. The vet said there were two pretty deep abscesses. He had to put the kitty under anesthesia to do the necessary cleaning and medicating. I told the vet to neuter him while he was at it. Oh, and the vet checked that runny eye - he thinks it's due to an untreated upper respiratory infection. The kitty stayed overnight at the hospital; he was pretty scared and definitely unhappy. Hopefully the penicillin that I have to give him twice a day will take care of both his leg and his eye.

But, the one thing that none of us can fix is that your kitty probably has feline aids. The test results that came back today were "equivocal" (not-quite positive, but not-quite negative) for FIV (feline aids). Feline aids is contagious. Cats (unneutered males are especially at risk) get it from being bitten by an infected cat. There is no vaccine against it. Like human aids, it affects their ability to deal with health problems in the future, and reduces their lifespan considerably.

If I knew where you live, I'd talk with you in person about your kitty. I'd tell you that if you had just kept this loving kitty inside, gotten him neutered when he was 5 months old, and fed and cared for him properly, I wouldn't have had to take care of your kitty.

A good friend of mine sent this to me today!

I have always wanted to write a letter to the people who dumped Chester off in the middle of the night close to my sons house...alone and scared to death, not knowing WHY he was there. You could tell that someone had spent a lot of time with him because he was so trusting and so hungry for human contact. I just WISH they could see what a beautiful boy he is now and how much he is loved, not only by me, but by my whole family. I wish they could just see how much he is enjoyed by all who meet him, see the joy he has brought into my life, how he made this house a home that I can not wait to get back to, and for him, I would like to ask "WHY"....

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Sounds like one of our neighbors he move out and left 3 un altered females of course now we have lots of kittens. He move out in the winter but left a window open on his house for them to get in out of the cold. We have been catching them and getting them fixed , the spay clinic is helping to find homes.

WoW! That really packed a wollop Kim. Wonderfully written and so true as we all know. I think that should be published and posted everywhere. I think there should also be another one written with the sad ending of those kitties that don't make it to a caring persons door.
    God Bless those who care and help. If only we could save them all.

I know several people who need this letter.

Thanks for sharing Kim.

From Decker with Love

Wow Kim, thanks for sharing this as it really makes a big impact.
    I wish I could find the neighbours who left behind Smokey when they moved but took their other cat with them. I would throw this letter in their faces.
    I also found out that talking to some neighbours about their cats is like talking to a brick wall.

Yes CCL, if we only could save them all, but unfortunately, as hard as some of us try, we can't.

Laura's Babies, unfortunately, you will never know "WHY", but it definintely was your gain and gladly their loss.

Bless you Corinna for helping and caring for these precious cats and kittens.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Wow. What a powerful letter. If they don;t get the point with this... then they are completely clueless people who should have never had kids... Wonder what their kids are like. Probably begging everywhere too.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Originally posted by catcrazylady
    WoW! That really packed a wollop Kim. Wonderfully written and so true as we all know. I think that should be published and posted everywhere. I think there should also be another one written with the sad ending of those kitties that don't make it to a caring persons door.
    God Bless those who care and help. If only we could save them all.
    Wonderfully written! I'm trying to find a short story I clipped years ago titled "I Buried Your Cat Today". I'll post it when I find it...but yes...there is all too often, the final chapter.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Kim, Wow.

You wrote everything that I have always thought about the people who left Smokey in a garbage can to die, whoever decided that they no longer wanted Tucker because she was getting old and was grouchy, to whoever left Mystic to fend for herself....even though they had her spayed and the #*$%*who dumped Abner as a kitten. I guess I am blessed to have all of these babies in my life.

Lucky for all of mine as well as everyone here on PT who has made an effort, taken the time, and given the love and medical care to those less fortunate....there are still people who care and can make a difference in this world.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

There is a gorgeous Maine Coon , who comes here , Horace , and he is not neutred ,the same thing , with Gary , and The Franklins !, And PoorGem , and Orangie , who are no longer with us , as they are owned by Idiots , who have no sense about responsible Cat Guarduianship!Amt least the frmer are rehomed , the Latter are in Cat Heaven!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

What a sad letter.. I don't know what to say to it really. If only it could be sent to all the pet owners who just dump their cats.. maybe they'd understand and prevent them from doing it again and help save others, since people don't usually hurt just one kitty..if only.

WoW! That really packed a wollop Kim
    My thoughts exactly!!!

I definitely think the letter should be published. Ever thought of sending it to Cat Fancy Magazine?

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

people need to really think before they decide on a pet.......unfortunately many do not do this, do not realize the responsibility involved in having pets......so sad for all the homeless pets out there.