Thread: Problem with rescued dog (please help!)

Hybrid View

Problem with rescued dog (please help!)

We adopted a 5 month old puppy (Lucky) this past Wednesday and for the most part he has been great. He is simply amazing with the kids. He doesn't jump up or play rough, he is almost completely potty trained, he has no food aggression issues and he allows you to put your hands in his mouth, roll him over, and examine his ears....all while remaining totally calm. However, he is afraid of my husband and he barks at him whenever he walks into the room. He is wary of strangers in general, but he really seems to be afraid of men.

Lucky was slated to be used as a bait dog in order to teach other dogs to fight. He was rescued during a police raid and put into foster care. We know he suffered some abuse at the hands of his previous owner (a man) but we don't know all the details. Lucky's foster mom says he just needs time to get comfortable, but it really bothers me that he barks at my husband like he does. I'm afraid he will bite him or that he will become aggressive with the kids. Today he started barking like crazy at our neighbors when they came to the fence to see him and there was nothing I could do to calm him down until they left. I guess my question is, does anybody know whether or not Lucky can get over his fear of men, including my husband, or is this something he will be dealing with forever? My husband gives him special treats and has taken over feeding him in an effort to earn his trust. We don't want to give up on him yet, but we talked to a few people in the neighborhood today that said they have had rescue dogs before and the dogs never got over their fears. What should we do?!

Michelle

Simba was 8 months old when we got him, he's now 6. We weren't sure of his previous life, but when we first got him he bit my mom twice. He would not let my mom come near him without growling.

My mom was terrified of him, but We knew that wouldn't help the problem any, so we had to get her over her fear first. So, if your husband has any fear of Lucky, tell him he needs to get over it.

For the first few months/ year we had Simba.. We had my mom feed him. My mom let him outside. My mom did everything/anything rewarding for Simba. I'm not sure if this is what helped, or if it's time that did it.. but whatever it is, Simba loves my mom now.

Good luck with Lucky!

Welcome to Pet Talk, BTW.. Hope you enjoy it here.
    Any pictures to share? We LOVE pictures!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Welcome to Pet Talk

In time your puppy will get over his fear of men. I rescued a (now 15) puppy years back, and Maggie was likely badly abused by a man. She was petrified of men, and would either cringe, or bark depending on where she was. My husband couldn't get near her for quite a few months, but Maggie gradually started to overcome her fear of men. It took over a year before she accepted other men around her, and today she loves everyone. It will take time with your puppy, and that's a great idea having your husband become the primary feeder etc. Will he walk on a leash with hubby? Lots of treats, and lots of praise will work wonders. So glad you were able to save the baby before he was shredded.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Thumbs up

Thank you both for replying. The good news is that after talking to Lucky's foster mom today, I found out that it was more neglect than abuse that he had suffered. This will be easier to deal with. My husband really laid the love on him today (as per foster mom's advice) and although Lucky is still a little cautious, he has really improved....in just a day! He had stopped barking at my hubby by this afternoon. We even took him to PetSmart today and he loved it. He picked out a toy while we were there. He just walked up and pulled the one he wanted right off the shelf!

I think with a bit more time and love that he will be just fine. I can't believe how attached we have become so fast. He is just so amazing!

I don't have any pictures taken yet, but I will post some as soon as I have them.

Thanks again!
    Michelle

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Michelle, Glad to hear that Lucky is improving so fast! I'll bet in no time, he'll be a daddy's boy lol! Keep on spoiling the boy. Jan
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~