Thread: OLDER CAT HISSING AT THE NEW KITTEN

OLDER CAT HISSING AT THE NEW KITTEN

i have a male 5 year old cat that i have had since he was a few months old that is neutered & i just brought a new female kitten home about a week ago. i introduced them & everything & the older kitty just sniffed her & walked away so i thought he didnt really care about her being in the house. well today i caught my older cat sitting at the door to the room where my new kitten is & the older cat was hissing so i was wondering if it would not be such a good idea to let them be around each other?

My cat, Trevor, was 3 years old when I brought home Andy who was about 8 weeks old at the time. Trevor did some hissing which usually made Andy run and hide under something. We kept them separated during the day when no one was home and in the evenings they were put together with close supervision. After a while when Trevor realized Andy was pretty harmless things improved. Today they are best buddies. I would just recommend you take it slow and easy with your two and only let them interact for now anyway when there are people to observe. Trevor never hissed outside the door where Andy was but he certainly "parked" there a lot in the beginning and tried to smell him under the door. Good luck and keep us posted!

It sounds like your older cat is accepting the kitten remarkably well in such a short time. Usually the back arches and the hissing starts immediately upon introduction, so it is a positive sign that the adult cat initially seemed nonchalant and indifferent regarding the kitten's presence. Probably your older cat feels especially territorial when it comes to your bedroom, so finding the kitten there was a bit too much, too soon. But in time I would think the older cat will completely accept the little one. Best of luck and keep us posted on their progress!

------------------
    Regards ~ AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

In the days when I used to foster, I had a resident cat who was always so jealous of the newcomers shut off in the bathroom that he used to hiss - standing in the kitchen, laying on the couch, sniffing under the bed - he hissed at the cats in the bathroom even when he was on the other side of the house!

snowball (the older cat) is still going to the door where the kitten is & hissing. he even hissed at the dog today for no good reason! i really am kinda scared to even be bringing the kitten around him since he has been acting this way. he has been acting fine around me. i thought he would be mad since i was keeping blossom (the new kitten) in my room & all

He'll come around in time. They may never be great friends, or they may be cuddled in each other's arms in a week. To speed up the getting used to process, you might bring the kitten out and let Snowball see him and get a good smell of him, but be on guard in case Snowball tries to hurt him. Be aware, though, that if Snowballs tries to strike at the kitten, a little swat won't hurt the kitten and will help Snowball feel like he is boss, and he will be more likely to not feel threatened. This will allow him to more readily accept the kitten. So be on guard but let cats be cats to a degree.

Our cat pumpkin would do that because we had two cats then, and our other cat,Kitty had four kittens and every time she would come close to them or they would come close to her she would hiss.We never found out why she did that, but we had to put all of the in the shelter because that would mean we had six cats and we didn`t want that much so we put kitty and her kittens in the shelter. the names of the kittens were: Seven,Ditto Sammi and Spot!! They were so Cute but we couldn`t keep them!! we ended up keeping Pumpkin!!

------------------
    Rotties Rock!!!!

Good advice, 4 Feline House!

Just watch for the adult cat sitting and switching his tail back and forth on the ground. That is a sign he wants to pounce. Don't get between the big cat and the kitten, or YOU will get pounced! (the voice of experience!) Just try to distract one of them to break the mood.

In a few days, things will probably go smooth and loving.

My cat was 3 I think when we got a kitten named kitty( we couldnt think of a name) and she didnt like her so she hissed and spat and everything i think they got into a couple of fights and the older cat was de-clawed in her front claws so she would grab kittys head with her paws and scratch her with the back paws.

a little good news today. last night i held the kitten down in front of snowball & snowball didnt hiss & was actually quite nice to the kitten. but now i have another problem lol. my kitten now sleeps all day & at night when i want to sleep she wakes up & climbs in my bed walks all over me & pounces & spats all in my face. i pick her up & put her down on the floor but she just comes right back up. i have tried distracting her with toys but in stead up playing with the toys she then starts biting my hands. is there something i could do at night to keep her away from getting in the bed? i dont get to fall asleep til about 2am & then i get woke up by her about 5am