Thread: Cats & Fireworks

Cats & Fireworks

Well it is officially 2001 here on the East Coast. I live about 10 miles from Philadelphia and a giant fireworks display has been going on over the Delaware River as in previous years. The booming sound is quite evident as we watch the display on TV and hear it in the house. It has woken up my sleeping kitties and their ears are rotating and twitching. I have heard that cats' hearing is excellent and they are actually aware of impending earthquakes even before they happen. Anyone (perhaps some of our California friends) have any first hand knowledge of that? By the way, here's to a HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO ALL (HUMANS AND ANIMALS!)

Spencer, as always, a scream!
    My husband - the non animal lover, why do we need to have cats AND dogs? - was caught the other afternoon cuddling Borris the cat and saying,"You did, didn't you? Borris Worris? You did? You knew it was going to rain, didn't you? You are a clever Borris Worris, aren't you?"
    The poor cat was drenched, having rolled in the wet grass - it had been raining for at least fifteen minutes before Borris came in - and all he wanted to do was find a piece of clothing or, even better, a newly ironed pile of clothes to dry himself off in and he was mewing in all the right places. This only encouraged my husband and, believe me, he will never forget it!!!
    Borris will, forever more, be known as the weatherman in our house!

I guess my cats are useless. They don't know when it's going to rain, they don't know when my blood sugar crashes, the only thing they ever noticed was when the upstairs apartment was broken into. They also know when someone is on the patio about to ring the doorbell, but these are not hard things for even me to figure out.

The only thing I've ever noticed was a foster, Misty, who could hear a palmetto bug (to all you yankees and non-US folks - those huge flying roaches that live in the trees and shrubbery that sometimes find their nasty way into your house) from two rooms away!