Thread: Help! My male cat (neutered) mounts another male!

Help! My male cat (neutered) mounts another male!

Can anyone help me with this behaviour that I'm trying to find an answer to?
    I have a 1 year old male cat named Gambit who was neutered at 5 months. There are 6 cats in the family now that we adopted a stray named Zulu around 2 years old (also neutered once we adopted him)
    I have noticed several times that Gambit will bite the back of Zulu's neck and almost act like he is trying to mate with Zulu..although I haven't seen him actually mount him like males do to females.
    Has anyone heard of 'dominance' among cats in this way? He does not do this to the other family cats.

I'm sure it's a dominance tactic - the reason the male bites the female on the neck is to control her, and momcats pick up their babies by the neck to control them.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I knew all about that, which led me to think it was a show of dominance but I just had never heard of a male cat doing that to another male cat.
    But it certainly makes sense! :-)

[This message has been edited by karmakoma (edited June 04, 2001).]

Our male cat, midget did that Before we got him neutered, not just to our other male cats, but to our poor old dog's head!

Our male cat, midget did that Before we got him neutered, not just to our other male cats, but to our poor old dog's head!

*LOL* I would have loved to see that! We also have two dogs but fortunately, Gambit doesn't do that to them. Perhaps once Zulu accepts that he's Gambit's 'b*tch'...I think Gambit will stop.