Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you have good posture?

do you have good posture?

I'm sitting at this computer at work, on a bar stool seat. I've always hated my posture. But, until recently, never really considered trying to change it. I've been trying so hard to sit up straight at my desk, and, I do fine for awhile, while I'm thinking about it. But, I'll lose my concentration and then notice I'm slouching. Does anyone else hate their posture? Is there anyone here that has any suggestions on how to better my posture? I know pilates helps a lot, and, I've got a book and a couple of DVDs, but, I've just never done it consistently enough to notice a change in posture. And, this so odd! A coworker of mine just walked up to me as I was typing this and commented on how pretty I was sitting. Dang, if I could just keep that up! Random topic, I know, but, I'm just curious...

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I don't really think about it, but I believe I have good posture. I know when I was riding, you need to sit up and have good posture. My instructor compaired me to another rider who is really good and had been riding a while (like with posture, he said I reminded him of her) Yeah that's a horrible example, but like I said, I don't think of it much lol

I know if I'm sitting in a chair for a while, I will slouch cause it gets uncomfortable..lol

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

On horses yes- it's a must- shoulders, hips, and heals all in line with your back not too arched and not too bowed.

When I'm off a horse, my posture is terrible which only makes my back problems flair up even more since I have no curve to my neck or spine. I am constantly hunched or slouched in the chairs at school. I rarely sit properly, unless their is a guest speaker or something and we have to look nice as a class.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Pilates will help a ton. Also, I got a fitball and now use it as my main desk chair. It is fantastic.

I've been thinking of asking them if I could bring one of those balls to use at my desk. I have the ball already, just don't know if they'd be alright with me using it here. I'm kind of in the back, though, so, maybe......There are even chairs that are equipped with the ball to sit on. They're strange looking, but, I want one! And, I took pilates, and, want to again! I love it, just have been really slack on my exercise routine. I did take english riding lessons when I was about 17 or 18. I loved working on my posture, but, haven't ridden with that kind of structure in a long time!

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

No, I have really bad posture. I always slump over when I sit and When I walk I slup over too! I look shorter than I really am!

I have terrible posture. I rarely think of it, though, unless my back or neck starts to hurt. Of course, I noticed and sat up straight when I saw this topic.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I have horrible posture, in fact, I can't stand up straight properly without alot of pain. I think it might be from growing up with massive depression making me slouch alot and stare at the ground.

Oh, one thing I learned when I went to physical therapy for my back, if you want good posture, work on your stomach muscles cause those help support your back and help you stand/sit up straighter.

Ooooh and the ball is a good idea. I might have to try that since I never thought about it!

i only have bad psoture when i'm not doing any sports. i'm not really sure why that is, but i sloutch a lot. and i try to sit up straight, but like you, i can only do it while i'm thinking about it

on a horse, I have very good posture any other time not at all, like I am ALWAYS slouching, I find it extremly uncomfortable to sit up straight even for a few minuts, I also do Pilates regularly because we do them for dance, I did not even know it was supposed to help your posture, never made a difference for me people always complain about my posture though, but I am just the kind of person that goes for comfort over all lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Originally posted by 2kitties
    Pilates will help a ton. Also, I got a fitball and now use it as my main desk chair. It is fantastic.

You are SO bizarre! How do you stay on that stupid thing while working??????? I fall off of them when I TRY to use them at the gym!

12. Randi and I were just talking about this yesterday! I have terrible posture -- especially when seated at a desk. In addition to being bad for the body it is ugly! I am shocked when I see a photo of me looking like I have a dowager hump and an extra ten pounds.....I try but need to try harder!

I suffered from severe back and arm pain about 3 years ago. I'm talking about so severe that I could hardly function. Turns out that I suffer from arthritis and disk degeneration (sp?) in my neck. Traction helped to get me through that bad spell, but it scared me that at 39 years old (at that point) that I could have such a bad problem. The traction relieved the pressure on the nerve that leads to my arm, which was causing the problem.

I was instructed to make sure that I used a headphone for my telephone, hold my steering wheel at 5 and 7 (o'clock), and definitely have a drop down keyboard and sit up straight! Heck, I was even warned about the way I position myself when I sleep.

Anything you can do to make your office/computer place more ergonomically correct will help you, I promise.

I have no natural curve in my spine, especially around the neck region, either. I want to avoid surgery at all costs, but eventually, I will have to have it, I fear. Just recently, I started having the numbness in my right arm and hand again, periodically. Thank goodness, I haven't had the pain associated with it this time, but the MRI I had, just week before last, showed continued deterioration of the disks in my neck.

Do I need to be more diligent about my posture and following the rules? YES!!!!

Take care of yourself. It only gets worse as you get older.

Originally posted by Cataholic
    You are SO bizarre! How do you stay on that stupid thing while working??????? I fall off of them when I TRY to use them at the gym!
    It's guster girl here. SOrry, couldn't log in under my usual name. I've used the ball as a seat at home, but, I'm really hoping that they'll let me take it to work! That would be an 8 hour workout! I know several people who use the ball as a seat.

I have been working on getting my posture correct for the last year or so. I am the only one in my family with bad posture. I am not to the point where, I sit up or stand up straight with out thinking about it. At first it hurt alot to stand up straight, now it doesn't bother me at all. Of course sometimes I still catch myself hunched over or whatever and I correct it as soon as I see it.

When I am at my computer desk though I still haven't worked on sitting up straight enough at my desk. Normally, I hunch over or I have my elbow on the top of the desk and lean over. I am also having issues with my eyes right now so hopefully I will be able to working on my posture a little more after I go see my eye doc next month, and maybe I will also be able to see.