Thread: Any ideas for...

Any ideas for...

cat friendly ant repellant?

We have ants already!!! Of course, neither of my boys ever jump up on the counters.

I need to know if anybody has any ideas on how to get rid of them or keep them from visiting us. I read in a magazine that ants hate coffee... so I sprinkled some and now all I have is black coffee dust and a lot of ants. What else can I try?

Spray the outside of your house foundation. I found that is the easiest way to keep ants from coming inside. Put ant traps inside cupboards that have pipes (kitchen, bathroom).
    The other thing is throughly clean get all crumbs etc up from floor and counters. Keep everything is air tight containers.

I do feed them on the counters (Nicki would otherwise eat all of their food.) Now that the weather's warm, they have little appetite, so much of what is put out in the morning is there at 2:00 in the afternoon. I don't want the ants to crawl around their food dishes. Someone once told me to put their food bowl inside another bowl filled with water, and that would keep the ants from crawling in their food.... yeah, but how do you stop a Pouncer from playing in his food water? Silly boy doesn;t play in it when its for drinking, but when its for ant control, he splish-splashes

Can I buy some exterior ant spray at the store (I've never done this before) and ould I have to reapply to ant stuff after rain?

Amy (WolfQ) asked a similar question here and got some good information, some of which I am going to look into myself. I've been plagued by the damn things year after year.

Chris

Those little Ant Motels work here! And are Cat Friendly!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Originally posted by catnapper

Can I buy some exterior ant spray at the store (I've never done this before) and would I have to reapply to ant stuff after rain?
    Yes, WalMart, Lowes. Home Depot in their garden centers.
    Allot of these products aren't effected by rain. Their are gradular products that you can put around the foundation and they take it back to their nest. The sprays work good too.
    We had Terminix service for 3 yrs (for mice) and what they put out around foundation (grandular product) worked great.

Also what helps when kitchen area isn't on ground level/foundation level. I love my second floor kitchen, We have story 1/2 house

We have ants too .... they come inside and find my food bowls no matter where I put them!!!

I hate ants! They're so annoying during the summer. There's these little ant steaks my grandma uses.. You can stick them in the ground or dirt where the ants come in or lay them on the window sill and I'm sure they aren't harmful. You could probably get them at any store.