Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Cody's in SirJury

My Cody's in SirJury

My Cody needs your prayers. We went to Dr. Paul's today to have her chest cyst checked. If you remember, it was drained once but refilled after about a month. He was hesitant to aspirate it again as he fears constant draining will only aggrevate it and perhaps, cause infection. As long as it didn't grow much larger and wasn't bothering her, he wanted to take a wait and see approach and to come in if it got much larger. Then he would consider removing it surgically. (It's an encapsulated sac that keeps refilling)
    We went today. He decided that as it looked so red and turgid and "angry," it would be best to remove it now. If she hadn't eaten this morning, he would have done it right then. Anyway, he wanted to do some pre op testing: Blood work, chest xray, abdominal xray (which struck me as odd, becasue that's not normally a part of the pre op protocol. He was to tell me later, that he "felt" something when he's was giving her the exam) Anyway, I was to leave her there and pick her up at 12pm, to return on Monday for the surgery. I went with Star to pick her up and I knew something was wrong the minute I walked into his room. They found a large abdominal mass on the xray, unrelated to the other chest cyst. Both he and Dr. Venezia believe there's a good chance it's benign but they want to go ahead with surgery immediately. They'll do an ultrasound first. It it looks operable, they'll go ahead. If not, he'll call me immediately to discuss other options.

He just called. They have her under and were in the process of doing the ultrasound. Bless his heart, he called me from the OR! He said it looks like a large cyst, fluid or blood filled, they can't tell. He did say that neither he nor Dr. V had ever seen one quite like this before. They don't know if they'll be able to remove it or not as it is very close to her kidney. He asked if I wanted them to proceed or if I wanted to take her for a second opinion at Tufts or Angell Memorial in Boston. I trust him so totally, that I said no, go ahead. He assured me that once they got in there, if he felt that it was too risky for them to remove it, he would close her up and we would take her up to Boston. The greatest risk is bleeding. Please pray for her. Her surgery should be over sometime around 4-5pm. I hope they can remove it safely. Poor Star is wandering around outside looking for her sister, moping. Keep your paws crossed for her please
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 05-14-2004 at 03:57 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

QUICK! Call Him... <picks up Prayer Line> <dials God>

Hellow, GOD!!

Hi God ~ Sorrie, dint mean to *shout*...
    We need HELP down here - rite Quick...

Kan You rush ober to da Hoppsbittle an Help wiff Cody's Sir Jury??

Oh... You're alreddy There?
    Lil "touchie", but da White Coats are doing a great job...

All we kan do is Offer sum PT Prayers...
    Well, OK, God -
    We're all Praying az Hard as we kan!
    Got allua Pawz & Klawz crossed, too!

Try to give a lil comfort to Mom, too.
    Tel her You're onna case.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I just spoke with Dr. Paul. The wonderful, glorious, bestest news is that my Cody girl is out of sirjury and resting comfortably. Having worked for so many years in recovery, anesthesia complications are always my greatest fear!

The not so good news is that it is inoperable, as least realistically speaking. It is directly attached to the kidney and a couple of major vessels. He was hoping it would be on a stalk and easily dissected, but that's not the case; the risk of hemorrage is just too great. He was so disappointed that, in his words, "he couldn't help her."

But, the encouraging news is that there's a 50% chance that she was born with it and in such cases, many dogs live out long and happy lives with no untoward effects.

He also said that from visual inspection, he's almost 100% certain that it's not malignant. He even hesitated to take a biopsy or aspirate it for fear of bleeding. Her blood work was all within normal limits, her lungs and heart look fine, she's been eating, drinking, playing, etc. so that's further evidence that there's no disease process going on.

My options are....

Take her to Angell Memorial or Tufts U. Medical Center in Boston for a 2nd opinion and repeat ultrasound. I asked what they might see on a repeat ultra s. that 2 surgeons couldn't see on visual exam and he said, "nothing really." I think he just wanted to assure me that should I feel at all hesitant, I should not feel badly about getting a 2nd opinion. He said they would not open her up to do exploratory surgery and, under the best of circumstances, in the hands of the most skilled surgeon, the surgery is risky at best.

With his encouragement, I've opted to leave it be for now and we will do a repeat ultrasound at Paul's in one month's time to see if there are any changes. If so, we'll have to consider surgery at Tufts et al and weigh the risks.

Her chest cyst was removed! Gee, I almost forgot about that! That was how the day started, checking out her chest cyst! The day's such a blur and so much happened so fast...my head's spinning. When I was talking to Paul, I thought for a second, "I wonder if he remembered to remove that!!!" lol! He did

She may come home tomorrow, but in all liklihood he said she'll be there until Monday. He said the incision is extensive and she's going to be in some pain but they'll be giving her pain medication.

Thank you all for your prayers and positive thoughts. I know Cody appreciates them too! She's my angel (as opposed to her evil sister, Star you know) On a lighter note, speaking of Star, spazzy also came to the office this morning for a labicure, the most dreaded of ordeals! As usual, she was ment-o and it took me, Paul and gargantchuan woman to hold her down to do the dirty deed! Lord, you'd think she was dying!!! I wish I had a video of the procedure...legs and arms flying, eyes bugging out, panting. It's enough to make a mama cry. She looks at me as if to say, "SAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE ME!!!" lol! Funny thing is, she's fine with the back legs but "Oh no, don't touch my front paws!!!" It was the only laugh I had all day. We brought back to the office a big box of cookies and brownies and a personally pawed card from Star to say thanks and all Paul said was, "Oh, Star, you know I love you!" Isn't he sweet?

I don't know how I'd get throgh times like these without friends like you and wonderfully caring, compassionate docs like Paul. Please say a little prayer that Cody has a swift and complete recovery Thanks! Sandra

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thanks Phred, Smokey, Cinder and of course, the big guy upstairs You worked your magic again, Phred You're the best! I'll keep ya updated! Like Cody, I think what I need now is a nap!

Prayers for Cody for a speedy recovery. And hugs for all of you. I hope everything will be o.k. It sounds like you have a wonderful vet, one that you can trust and know he will do the right thing for your pet. Keep us updated.

Oh no! Not dear, special Cody!! Oh Sandra what an ordeal today was for you. I am so glad that she came through the Sirjury just fine, and we are praying that she won't have much pain. {Hugs to you and Star while you wait for Cody to come home}

Wheeeew! Whudda *scare*!

THANKS, God!!

You'll keep a *sharp eye* on Cody whilst she's in
    da Rekovery Room, won't You, God?

Really 'preciate You Help!
    An kuld Ya pass an *AttaBoy* down to Doc Paul an
    allua da Helperz!?

THANKS fur Your Help, God!!

/s/ the Prayer Pups
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} SANDRA XXXXX.

Oh Sandra - you that's always first with sympathy when it's one of our furkids, is going through an awful time. You're in my thoughts and prayers special friend
    I'm so relieved Sir Jury is over and at least you can - hopefully - get a little rest, and an extra big cuddle with Star.
    I hope Cody manages a pain free week-end and should be OK if they keep up the pain meds., eh?

I'll be checking over the week-end to make sure recovery is going according to plan - 'night-'night, GodBless all Pet Talkers.

(Those dear Prayer Pups of ours sure have a way with their Hot Line don't they - neck scritchies across the miles Cinder and Smoke. xxx

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Sandra, you have had a very big day, just as Cody has too! I am so happy to hear Cody had the cyst removed, and his surgery went so well!

I know you will be on pins and needles until he gets home to you. You and Cody and the rest of the gang are in my thoughts and prayers.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Aw, Sandra,
    Prayers have been flying fast and furious from here for you and sweet Cody. Even the cats have had all paws crossed. I think I'll give them a tiny break. They all assure me they need to visit the litter boxes!!!!

Will you be able to call and check on her tomorrow? I hope she will be up and doing fine. With the Prayer Pups on the job, how could she not?

BIG HUGS TO YOU AND CODY AND OF STAR!
    Prayers will continue until she is all better and back home!
    (I bet Star will be lonesome without her sis this weekend!)
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks so much everyone, for your loving words. Cody's such a sweetheart and gentle soul and tho the "alpha," (don't tell Star that!) she rules with a velvet paw Not a mean bone in that girl's body! I'll let you know how she's doing tomorrow and when I visit her, I'll be sure and pass along all of your well wishes I for one am one tired mama and will be hitting the hay very soon. Oh, when will the sun finally go down!!!
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 05-15-2004 at 04:51 AM.

Oh Sandra,
    I was shocked to hear about Cody going in for
    surgery.
    But so glad that all went well.
    We are sending so many get well recovery wishes
    for her and that she live a full loooooong life.

Sheba sends oodles of AKita hugs and Rocky is sending
    losts of slopy messy kisses.

Hugs Karen

----<---<--<{(@

Wow Sandra, I'm so surprised at all you've been going through
    today. Such worry. I am however very glad to hear that Cody's
    resting peacefully now. I do hope she recovers quickly.

Hope your evening is calm & restful for you & for Cody. Prayers
    on the way for you both.

p.s. The description of Star & the nail clipping was so funny. Poor
    Star probably doesn't think so.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Prayers on the way for sweet sweet Cody!!!
    WHAT a day for you!!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

AW POOR CODY. I'm so sorry you've had to go through so much, but so many people love you and are praying for you that I just know you'll have a great recovery and a long and happy life. You're so strong Cody. My thoughts are with you and I hope I keep getting updates.