Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepper's Bad Day

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Pepper's Bad Day

Miss Pepper had an accident yesterday and is sporting a little "kitty cast" for the next month. We were all in the back yard yesterday doing some spring cleanup and the kitties were supervising us. Pepper came hopping across the yard on 3 legs purring her brains out. I picked her up and checked out her leg. At first I thought she had done "a Pouncer" and pulled out a claw. But, there wasn't much blood. The scary thing was that her paw was swelling very quickly. Took her to see the white coats and turns out Pepper has a broken toe! She has to wear a cast for a month. Each week we have to take her to the vet to have the splint checked and a new one put on. She's not supposed to get the cast wet at all. We're not sure how it happened. I guess we weren't watching them as closely as we thought. The only thing I can think of is that she might have got her toe caught in the chain length fence. She likes to climb up a few feet before she drops back down. Maybe she got her toe caught? Poor baby -- It's not slowing her down at all. She's determined to jump on everything. Last night she slept in her crate. We thought it was best so that she couldn't move around too much. Well, that lasted until about 2:00 when I couldn't take the yowls anymore (none of us got much sleep last night). I let her out and she ran for the cat box and then leapt into bed and assumed her normal sleeping place. Halo is very curious about the "thing" Pepper is dragging around. Cammie (typical tortie) doesn't give a flying flip. Here are some photos of Pepper. The last one is snuggling with her daddy.

Last edited by kuhio98; 03-12-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Pepper I do hope you fell better soon. I just love the picture of you snuggling with your daddy. Fell better soon!!!!

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Poor baby. Hope Peppers foot is feeling better today.

Awww....poor little Pepper! But like you say, the cast doesn't seem to be slowing her down any.

I love the professional "veterinarian" tape they used.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Awwwwwwwwwe! Poor baby Pepper That is so sad but she does look cute in her little cast. Pepper I hope you get well real soon. What a pretty girl!

Awwwww.....what a beautiful sweet kitty Pepper is...and I love that picture of her snuggling with daddy with her hurt foot.

Best wishes for healing fast Pepper baby.

Denyce

Poor Pepper and your broken toesie! Hope it's better soon, sounds like a long healing process though. But you sure look awfully cute with your bandagie and sounds like it's not holding you back too much. Don't be too ambitious sweet Pepper, your foot needs rest to heal.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

Poor sweet Pepper, I am sorry about your broken toesie. At least you have a fashionable blue cast to wear for the next month. I hope you heal soon. I am melting at the picture of you snuggling with your daddy.
    I expect that Pepper and Pouncer will be e-mailing each other to share ways of being active while temporarily hobbled.
    Steffi and Lovable

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Awww....poor little Pepper! But like you say, the cast doesn't seem to be slowing her down any.

I love the professional "veterinarian" tape they used.
    Yeah, you can tell that Pepper's vet is a guy, can't you? There's nothing that they won't try to fix with duct tape.

It's really helping, though. Pepper insists on sticking her paw in the water dish. The tape kept it from getting wet. She made a funny little track when she walked across the floor.

Pepper is doing well. She's not liking being cooped up but she's adjusting. She forgets about the cast and insists on leaping off the bed. When she hits the floor, she does a summersault and then continues on her way. I freaked out the first 2 times she did this but she doesn't seem to be in any pain. You'd think she'd slow down and rest some, wouldn't you? We'll keep her in her crate again tonight so that she won't go "wilding" at 2:00 a.m. running around the house like a herd of horses.

At this rate, our hearts are going to give out long before the heart murmur does her in.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kuhio98
    Yeah, you can tell that Pepper's vet is a guy, can't you? There's nothing that they won't try to fix with duct tape.

I noticed that and had to chuckle to myself.

I'm sorry to hear that Pepper broke her little toe. I hope she heals quickly and feels better soon.

Aww Pepper, get better soon! I know you're tough and you'll heal really quick. You're such an adorable kitty.

good baby!

Good boy Pepper! just go into denial! Run around like nothing is any different! Cats are so cool, they all have such different personalities! Pepper's pic. with dad is just adorable- I wish I could figure out a way to put it on my screen saver!! (I have a bunch of rotating photos- adding this would be nice!) Pepper- it's just a matter of time and all will be back to normal! No more somersaulting or whatever you're doing on chainlink fences!!
    pixie

Near Seattle in the beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Sorry to hear about Pepper's toe! Hope she heals quickly without any problems!
    Tiger, Percy, Antoinette, Scooter,Norbert,Willy, Pippin
    www.tribeof7.com

Get well soon Pepper!! But don't worry, the same thing happened to my Tama when he was a kitten and now he's fine
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever