Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Murphy (long)

Our Murphy (long)

I'm going to apologize in advance for this long, detailed message. It's on my heart, and I just need to share the details of what I know, now, because later, I may not have the emotional stamina to do it. You are all so caring and so good with your prayers that I felt like I needed to share.

Murphy just isn't right. She is agitated easily, coughing, frantic, at times, and the wetting problems have gotten even worse. Yesterday morning was especially bad, even though she did eventually calm down. I made an appointment for her with Dr. Robinson at 4 so he could look her over, carefully, and see if there is anything we can do for her to make her more comfortable.

Scott and I talked with him about lots of things that we (mostly me, since I am here all day with her) see happening with her, especially the dementia and the bladder issues. The medication she is using now is doing nothing to help her in that regard (the bladder). Her "waterproof" bed is not so waterproof......had to take it out yesterday morning to wash the cover again, and I think that is part of what upset her. The good news is that her appetite is good, as always, and she is drinking plenty of water. We just want her to have a good quality of life and to be less agitated. I think we are at the point that we need to try some new drugs to help with the dementia. He had told me that they are available and I tried to avoid them for as long as possible, but I think it is time.

Dr. Robinson's office was packed and I had to wait quite a while to see him. Thankfully, before I even went back with Murphy, Scott and Andrew arrived. Helen and Andrew kept each other company and came in and out. Murphy was obviously agitated as she doesn't sit easily at all due to her arthritis, so she is usually standing or plopping down. I wish I had carried a bed for her to use while we waited.

She has lost a considerable amount of weight, but it has been gradual, and we didn't really even realize the severity of it until today. Her alltime high was 77 pounds, last July. She was 61.2, yesterday. Dr. Robinson explained to us about how their kidneys stop functioning properly as they get older (I hope I'm telling you this correctly). He said it actually dehydrates their cells, causing weight loss and lack of absorption from liquids and their food. I shouldn't even try to repeat what he said because I know I'll get it wrong. Anyway, he said that the weight loss was minor compared to other things.

She has a lump on her chest, right at her left leg, which we have been watching for many months now (Dr. Robinson had seen her about that too). The lump has hardened and grown larger, something we already realized. What we didn't realize is that there is a second lump on the inside of her right leg. Murphy is not one to "roll over" and let you prod like my other dogs do. We simply never saw it. We keep our inspections, brushing, bathing, etc to a minimum with her to avoid upsetting her. Dr. R told me to quit beating myself up over it because he would never had suggested surgery on her at this point in her life, anyway, especially after the horrible recuperation period, last year, when we had major surgery on her ear. Both ears were mildly irritated, but he said they actually looked pretty good considering her history with ear infections.

She is old and her body is showing the signs. To tell you the truth, I think he saw and heard more today than he was willing to tell us with the kids standing there. When I asked him if he was trying to "protect" me from bad news, he admitted that he was "hedging" with me a little bit until he could give me more factual information. He told us to take it one day at a time, and he did some blood work which he is sending off for a more complete evaluation. He also added a medication to try and help with the incontinance problem, plus one for the "dementia" (I'm sorry I don't have them in front of me to tell you what they are). We will try this for a week. He is going to call me when the blood work comes back, and he said that depending on what he sees there, he might like to do the 24 hour withholding of liquids to get a concentrated urine specimen for further testing. But before he does that, he's going to sit down with us and discuss her whole situation more thoroughly. He actually said to Scott and me that he knows how I am about my animals and he knows I want him to do all he can for her, and he will, but when he thinks "enough is enough" he's going to tell us. I have to tell you that I felt that he thinks it will be soon. And then later in the evening, as we were cleaning up the kitchen, I asked Scott if he said anything else to him when they were alone, and he did. Dr. Robinson told him that he needed to prepare me and the kids as he did not think that Murphy would be with us much longer, nor would we want her to be if she is unhappy and in pain. Remember, this is the man who walked with me through 11 months of pure Hell with my Kaycee, five years ago, and he hasn't forgotten how hard that was for me. I am better able to handle it now, although it still hurts like crazy to think of losing her. I do not want her to suffer and I don't think she is, right now, but I am here, constantly, helping her get up and down, cleaning her bedding, calming her when she gets so frantic. Scott actually sees very little of it. Neither do the children, thank goodness.

I was able to share a lot of this with Helen on the way home this afternoon. I don't think Andrew understood what was going on, and we aren't going into great detail with him at this point. There is no need to. Helen and I shared a few tears and I cried ino the phone when I called and left a message for my friend, Sandra, but otherwise, I still have to move on, as if she's going to be fine. Now I know that there probably wasn't much, if anything, that could have been done if I had really pursued it earlier in earnest. Dr. Robinson and I had talked at length, before, about whether I ought to be bringing her in more often to be checked, and his conclusion, which I concured with, was that poking and proding her and getting her in and out of the car, which is very upsetting to her, every 4-6 months was not going to extend her life, and that if I saw any dramatic change or felt she was ill, I should bring her in then. I appreciated his candor then and appreciated it again, yesterday, when I felt she needed to be seen. He's all for extending life for any animal, as long as it is "quality" they are getting. He repeated to me yesterday that he has seen many animals be "saved" because the owner can't bear to part with them. I was that way with Kaycee.

I'm just glad that our girl is able to be comfortably at home, with us, and loved every minute of every day. Funny how this sweet girl, who I haven't even known for 2 years yet, has become such an important part of my life. As you know, she turned 14 years old in February and has been with Scott since she was a tiny puppy.

Sorry this is so long, but I needed to get it off my chest and let you know what was happening around here, right now. I'll keep you posted when I know more. I would just appreciate your remembering Murphy in your prayers, if you will. I ask that you pray for her to be comfortable and that she will let us know when it is time for her to leave.

Logan

Logan...it doesn't take long to fall in love with an animal! They give so much and ask so little.

Know that my thoughts are with you and your family -- furred and furless alike.

Oh Logan, your post brought me to tears. I'm so sorry to hear about Murphy.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

<picks up Prayer Line> <dials God>

Hi God ~

Lil Help down here onna ole Durt Ball, paLeeze!

We're gonna be sendin up a Buncha PT Prayers fur our Buddie -
    Miz Murphy.

She's having a WUNNERFUL Life down here wiffa Kids an Mom & Dad -
    We'd like to ask if she could stay a while longer?

Pleeze do Your *best* to help Doc Robinson make her feel
    comfortable an secure in her "senior yearz" -
    we think she deserves dat.

An could you Wrap Your GodsPawz round da whole Fambly -
    includin Miz Murphy - and give em all sum Comfort?

THANKS fur You Help, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Aw, Logan!
    I know what you are going through. I went through something similar when I had to make the decision to let Leroy go. He developed heart trouble. After two weeks of love and cuddles he got to where he couldn't breathe. I decided to let him go. I couldn't let him suffer any longer. My prayers are with you and your family and Murphy! Enjoy every second you can with her. She knows you love her.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Logan I can't say I know exactly how you feel, but I do know the thought of loosing one of the furkids to old age.

I'm sure this must be weighing heavly on your heart and I will keep you, your family and Murphy in my thoughts and prayers.
    I hope that your girl still has quite a few fun days ahead of her.

Your friend
    Anna

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Logan, after having been in your position with my Rainbow Bridge kitties, I know all too well that painful tug on your heart as you give everything that you have in you to make sure they are as comfortable as possible.

You can count on my prayers for Murphy but for you as well. I know the "look" that they give you and it is filled with love and devotion. When they are younger, we take it all for granted and revel in their youth.

When they become seniors we stop, take extra time with them and wish for all our might that we could stop old age.

Let me send you a big hug, please - and know that I feel for you.

I was so heartsick when I got your message yesterday Logan. You know how I love that sweet Labbie girl. It's so hard to see them age and begin to fail, especially as we feel so helpless. You've been the best mom to Murphy these past 2 years. What a loving and caring home she married into I hope and pray that following the blood work results, Dr. Robinson can come up with a course of treatement that will allow her to be with you all, enjoying a decent qualilty of life, for a while yet. There are Rx foods for dogs with comprised kidney function and more than a few drugs to treat the dementia too. I'm not going to give up on her just yet. I just wish I were there to give you a hug and a little comfort in person., because I know how heavy your heart is right now, how sad you are. I know what you're going through friend, just as I know you've been there before yourself, with your precious Casey. Me and Cody and Star are sending all of our love and prayers to you, Scott, the kids and of course, to dear, sweet Murphy. I love you friend. Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Logan, my heart is so heavy for you -- going through what every person absolutely dreads. I can feel your love for Murphy through the lines on the page, and I wish there was something that I could say or do that would make you feel better.

Please know that we will keep you and Murphy and your family in our thoughts and prayers!!

Murphy,

Dear Mrs. Pillar,
    I'm so sorry to hear about all of Murphy's prolems. First off let me tell you our prayers are with you, and Murphy.
    I agree with you that when her quality of life goes then she should be gently put to sleep. I worked on, and off for 12 years for different Vets., and boarding kennels. I worked mostly in the back doing the kennel.
    I wanted to tell you about something that might not only offer her some hope, but an oppertunity at a really good quality of life again. The fact that we feed our pets such enzyme-less food over an entire lifetime only contributes to the growing list of animal health problems we witness today including: Osteoarthritis, inflammation, joint pain, hip dysplasia, shedding, hair loss,digestive disorders,pet food allergies, and many other stress related symptoms contributed to by a weakened immune system.
    Remember every pet needs more than processed foods.
    Enzymes make all life possible. They are needed for every chemical reaction occurring in the body over the course of a lifetime.
    Without enzymes, no metabolic activity at all would take place. Neither vitamins, minerals, nor hormones can do any work without enzymes.
    My oldest cat started having problems recently. He had a drastic loss of weight, (he was already skinny by nature). Also he lost the hair just above his tail, & his tail got sort of ripples at the top. Also his rectum was starting to protrude. It was very scary!! I bought the Bac Pac Plus as he is a finicky eater anyway. He's only been on it for about a 11/2 weeks and his fur has grown back above his tail. He's gaing weight, and the best part is that his rectum no longer protrudes! I liked it so much I decided to become an agent so I could try and help other peoples animals. I believe it will help Murphy. It comes with a full 30 day money back guarentee from the company. They are also very knowligable on how to help your pets. I'm not trying to talk you into anything I just wanted to let you know how much it helped Joey. If you should decide to try it if you give them my name Alana Oelschlegel or my ID# 12203 if you order Oxydrops, or the Antioxidant treats they'll send you a second bottle for free so you can double up on her dosage for the first week or so to get maximum benifits!
    I wish Murphy, and your family all the best during this horrible time.
    Sincerely,
    Lonnie Oelschlegel

My heart is breaking reading your post.
    Sending many hugs and prayers for you and Murphy.

((((^..^))))
    Karen

----<---<--<{(@

I'm so sorry to hear about dear Murphy, Logan.

While I have never been in your situation exactly, my heart breaks knowing how hard it must be.
    I know just how wonderful sweet Murphy is, and how much you both mean to each other.

I will keep your family in my prayers Logan, and I'm sending you big hugs.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Logan,

Know that I am in tears, and also know that you and Murphy are in my prayers ...........

Love
    Michelle
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Logan:

I too am in tears at your trouble. You and your whole family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I know it takes just a moment for these wonderful creatures to sneak in and find a place in your heart. How wonderful that Logan found the right person to care for her. Unfortunately it puts you and the family at risk for heartache, but from reading your posts I think you are the kind of person who would not ever want to miss the joy that comes from a life with these loving, forgiving animals. Rest assured, she knows that she is loved and cared for and that she trusts you to make the right decision, if need be.

Robin

I am sorry Logan.

I will keep your family and Murphy in my thoughts and prayers.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*