Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cats perching

Gosh, did this get off the original question or what.

------------------

Can't stand to watch soccer. I love American Football though. I did play 8 years of soccer as a kid. But I hated it. Then I played football and loved it.

Speaking of metric systems and coversions, and yadda yadda...
    I have to say that when I was in High School, and those great calculators came out that could do everything from graphing, metrics, conversion, formulas...etc. etc...sometimes it's hard for me to make a simple calculation in my head! LOL I've been spoiled! I'm just joking, but it sure does feel that way sometimes!

Since I have always previously owned foreign cars, I have already converted my toolchest to metric. Any since I have to measure my food, and most nutrition charts are by grams, I already "weigh" in metric, too. 454 g = 1 lb is emblazoned on my brain.

Spence,

I thought the aliens got to that probe. just kidding. I hear what ya saying, it's good to learn both. You figure a high tech piece of equipment like a space probe could do the conversion.

I like the idea about the calculator.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the XFL. Now that's bad football. The NFL is great though. Also, high school is even better than the XFL.

Spence,

You guys call metric the "English system"? Thats funny because the English have only just introduced compulsory metric systems in 1996(ish). Distances are still in miles but it is now compulsory in supermarkets to display metric measures (99% still display imperial too). As for the litres per 100km - yes they seem to do this everywhere, don't know why, I prefer ??kms per litre.

Ben E Gas, Which is more logical and easier to learn?

A) 1 kilometre = 1000 metres = 100000 centimeters
    1 tonne = 1000 kilograms = 1000000 grams

B) 1 mile = 1760 yards = 5280 feet = 63360 inches
    1 ton = 2240 lbs = 35840 ounces

When I was a kid, the US was going to convert to the metric system, and we "learned" it in second grade, third grade, fourth grade - the reason I put learned in quotes is that we learned it the first time, but every grade made a big deal about it - maybe the teachers needed help converting THEIR heads. The only part of the conversion that stuck was the soft-drink industry, which still sells things in 1-liter, 2-liter and even 3-liter bottles. I think the country changed presidents, which somehow axed the whole conversion process, but the bottle-making machinery had already been switched, and was too costly to consider replacing/retooling again!

Cats I know prefer windowsills, which in some old New England houses can be pretty darned narrow, but doortop perching always seems like it should be an Olympic feat - like balance beam for humans!

My cat Mitten, once balanced himself on the
    rim of a washtub, which was about one half
    of an inch wide! The purpose? Puss wanted to
    catch the tropical fish which were housed in
    the washtub-converted-into-a-pond.

And with his fourth paw, this undersized little feline version of Satan actually caught a fish and scooped it into his mouth before he could be shoo-ed off! Amazing cat... :-)

I can use metric and convert it. (If I use a cheat chart) But I just can't THINK in metric.

Note to Spence, Benjamin Franklin helped the begining of American Standard spelling. Before then people spelled everything however they thought it should be spelled. I would like to know who decided to spell tongue like that though.

my cat use to jump up on the bar stool then jump up on the counter then jump up on the refridgerator then jump up on top of the really high cabinets that are right below the ceiling & he would just lay up there & sleep. he isnt able to do it any more though. he can make it up the bar stool & onto the counter but he has just gotten too heavy to jump onto the refridgerator

One time my dads cat hung by her front paws and climbed across a ledge to the buildings of his apartments and tried to swing her self in through the window