Thread: Cats, sinks and water

Cats, sinks and water

Now. I was always told cats don't like water. But we receive many "cats in the sink" pictures, like today's kitty, Robie! Do you suppose that the whole "cats hate water" thing is a myth, or do you think cats just love the round/oval sink shape enough to tolerate the ocassional drip?

Well, my two little peaches love the bathtub after I take a shower. Daisy will sit there for a long time watching the water droplets. Pekoe will sit in the bathroom sink until I get out from the shower. She doesn't realize that she no longer fits in the sink but she continues to squeeze herself in a round ball! One time when Pekoe was only a few months old, she actually fell completely into the tub with me (head first, completely under the water). I was really, really afraid at first that she swallowed some water but she was ok - shaken, but ok. And she has not learned her lesson - she still wants to know what is going on in the tub!

The rumor that all cats hate water is definitely a myth. I've owned (or been owned by) several cats in the past few years and I've found that most cats hate a certain kind of water rather than all water in general. Every cat I've known has hated horizontal water (i.e., bath tub full of water, a pond, a pool, etc.), but most usually don't have a real big problem with vertical water (water dripping from a tap or rain outside). True, they don't like it once their undercoat is wet and they can feel the water on their skin, but most cats don't run in abject fear of rain as they will from a tub or sink full of water.

I don't think my Terra-chan is aware of this though. She loves all kinds of water. On more than one occasion she's jumped in the tub with me and had a great time paddling around! Terra just loves when I water the plants outside with the watering can and lectures me until I fill her water dish with the same can. I guess she really likes watching water move.

As far as all the "cats in the sink" photos, I know when I find Terra in the sink or bath tub and it isn't full of water, she's telling me the apartment is too hot and it's time to turn on the AC. What a picky critter

My Andy loves water. When he hears a sink being filled up he is there in a minute. He is also fascinated watching the water go down the toilet after I have scrubbed the floor and am dumping the water down. Usually he stands on his hind legs and watches it swirl round and round. One time he was in the other room and was afraid he'd miss it so he came running. in his haste, he jumped up on the edge of the bowl and, you guessed it, he slipped into the bowl with the sudsy water as it was swirling down. He hasn't come near the toilet since!!! He still does like water in the sink though and, in particular, if the sink is filled with bubbles he loves to play with the bubbles. He also splashes in his water bowl, much to the dismay of my other cat, Trevor, who I am sure would prefer drinking out of a bowl that hasn't had "kittie paws" in it.

My little Pieper loves to watch the toilet swirl as well! And the funniest thing is when I catch her in her water bowl, up to her elbows! She'll pull one foot out and lick off the water, then does the other.

------------------
    If a cat spoke, it would say things like, "Hey, I don't see a problem here!"