Thread: Guess what I got!

Guess what I got!

Today my girlfriend got me a rattie! She won't be living with me because of Corkscrew so she will be staying at my girlfriends house. So I will still be able to see her everyday. I'll try to get some pictures up tonight. She's super sweet, she's brown with a white belly. She was a feeder rat, but I still think she's super cute and friendly. As soon as we got her home she was crawling all over me and sitting on my shoulder. I couldn't believe how friendly she was!

I hope we are doing this right, I know that they are supposed to be quarantened. I read luckies website and it said that this should be done at seperate houses, but we really can't do that. My rattie is in it's own cage upstairs, right now there is nothing else up there but her cage. Alexa said I have to wash up really well before comming back downstairs and I'm not allowed to get anywhere near her ratties after going upstairs to handle mine. After a few weeks she said we can try to introduce my rat to her two females. Is there anything else I can do to make sure that my rattie won't possible get hers sick?
    Last edited by Uabassoon; 05-04-2004 at 06:37 PM.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

It sounds like you're doing it right. Sometimes a quarantine in another facility just isn't possible, and the best thing to do is just wash up after holding her, and enjoy her ratties from a distance afterwards.

I can't wait to see her!!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Unfortunately there is nothing more you can do than what you are doing now. Some viruses spread through air and formites so there really isn't much you can do for that even if you have washed up. SDA can be carried in your respiratory tract as wellas on your clothing, hands etc. so it is best to shower and scrub down before seeing the other ratties. I am glad to hear that she is going to introduce her to the other two.

I can't wait to see pics of her. She sounds like an agouti berkshire.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I forgot to say congrats, so congRATS!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Thanks! I just posted a few pictures of her in another thread, she's so cute
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!