Thread: Cushings disease-pituitary dependent!

Cushings disease-pituitary dependent!

Our boxer-mix has pit. cushings disease. I have done so much research about this particualr kind of cushings. But what I would like to know is the results of giving your dog meds or not.
    Thank you for any advice!
    Sincerely,
    AB

Cushing's syndrome.....

To find out more about Cushing's syndrome go to the health section on the web and look for Merick's manuals , this will help you make a choice . It will tell you what to look for and how far
    advanced it is medication will help and some times reverse the problem but you must determine the quallity of life over the desire
    to keep him alive any medication will have side affects and will
    depend on how far advanced the disease is . If you have trouble finding this web site let me know and I will try to help you at K91rogers.com ( free service ) , good luck. Hugo

Have you spoken with your Oncologist

about the possibility of including radiation of the Pituitary tumor? Mitotane or Lysodren as you have probably already read has a good chance of controlling the symptoms.

The best advise if you are uncertain of treatment on a critically ill pet is to try it. If things don't work out or the quality of life is too impaired by the treatment, you can always back out.

I'm sorry I don't have any information for you, but wanted to say welcome to PT. We have quite a few members from Ohio and the surroundng states, and many of us get together and let the dog play.
    I hope you'll share more about your dog and pictures are always begged for!!!

My poodle was dianosed with cushing's at around age 11. The medication can be tricky but worth it! I learned to ALWAYS ClOSELY MONITOR for reaction. The dosage can be cut. (ie: if the dose should be 1 pill, give 1/2am -1/2pm) this worked for my dog and my vet only suggested it after he had several reactions to a full dose. Make sure you have ALLTHE MEDS you need ON HAND! The med can sway the dogs levels quickly.
    Your lucky to have the internet, there is alot of info out there, that I stumble upon. Back when my dog got it the only way I got info was by calling a library in Nevada (from NJ).
    If I come across anything soon I 'll post it for you.
    Larn all you can, monitor closely - it's tricky but worth it my guy got it under control for almost 5 yrs. , he also had an enlarged heart under control for 7yrs. The meds brought down his belly bloat and made him comfortable & happy.
    Best of luck to you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jessie&Jamie's Mom