Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer question-

computer question-

How do you take everything off your computer?

I need to re-do it, can any please explain? Should I just delete everything?

***confused***

Like reformat it? I've never done it, but I believe it's a little more complicated then explaining over a message lol. Unless you ment something else?

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

You want to get rid of everything? Don't just delete it. Make sure you either use the uninstall for the programs you don't need anymore, or use the control panel to uninstall programs. If it is folders you have created yourself then they are alright to just delete. You have to be very careful of some of the programs you just delete, because they can take a lot dll. files with them that are used by other important programs.

If you want to start of new, then the thing you will have to do is a reformat and install your operating system, and that is no easy task. You will lose everything that way.

I am not really sure what you are wanting though. When I had a different computer, I used to do a whole new format, and install of my operating system and just start over from scratch. No easy task.

If you have pictures on your computer, then you would have to back them up to a cd, or store them on another server.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

The only way we have "started over" is by re-booting our hard drive.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

yeah, I think its reformatting it. The thing is, when my computer would freeze, my dad reformated my computer, and was back to normal. The reason, why I want to do it is because my computer is now freezing up alot. and its getting really on my nerves.

not sure why too.

Rebooting is nothing but a warm start up of your hard drive instead of turning it off and then turning it back on.

What operating system are you using Amber?

Willie

Windows XP

Amber do you remeber when your computer started acting up? XP has a system restore on it, and you can go back to a date when your computer was running smoothly.

XP is a really good operating system, the best I have seen Microsoft come out with so far.

You could have a lot of spyware on your computer causing this to happen. Or worse a stupid virus.

I hate to tell you to start over, you really need somebody there to help you go through that kind of work. I had to install Xp on a new hard drive a few weeks ago, and it involved some extra work to it, anyway it took a while to get back up and running.

I wish Catdad was online, he is sooo good with computers problems.

Willie

Do you run windows updates? I've had times my comp didn't work well and after I did the updates it worked better..

(start - windows update)

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Thanks Willie!

Im going to go through the programs i don't need and take them off. I'll run spyware, window washer, and a virus scan. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks!

slleipnir has some good advice there, if you haven't kept your operating system up to date, you really do need to do that too.

Very good advice, slleipnir. I didn't even think of that!

Willie

If you would like to reformat, it should take about an hour or 2 depending on the speed of your computer and the speed of the hard drive. I try to format once every six months. I am almost a pro at it at this point. I can't explain how to do it unless I am looking at it. I should know by now. My husband had to format his computer 3 times last night. If your dad knows how to format maybe you should ask him about it.

Katie

Katie, is it different to reformat for XP than with the other operating systems? I found that XP had a little extra things to have to be done to it. The other sytems were a breeze. I used to do the same thing, reformat the hard drive every so often to get rid of all the bits and pieces of programs left behind that didn't come off with just uninstalling the program.

Willie

I only know how to do an XP format, so I wouldn't know about extra stuff. It's what I'm use to so it's easy for me so far. I have messed up a few times but nothing to bad.

Thanks Katie, I thought it was easier to do the other systems, than XP. Really, I have done Windows 95, 98, ME. But it really did seem like XP was harder. There is something, and I can't remember what it is that you have to configure after installation of XP. Seem like the only problem with the others was installing the right drivers.

Anyway, you are doing pretty good doing XP!!

Willie