Thread: Getting a second kitty

Getting a second kitty

Hi all,
    Long time no word... Glad I found the time to come here again.

And I really need your advice to make a decision.

I've been offered a 3 weeks old female calico mini persian(for a very good price... $350). It means that she will weigh 4 / 5 pounds once full grown. I think she's cute (I will post some pics tonight), and getting a second cat could be a lot of fun, but I'm scared that my 9 months old Ragdoll, Willow(female) will get less affectionate, maybe aggressive. She sleeps with me at night, very cuddly, playful and all, and I don't want that to change when the new kitty arrives.

Another thing:
    Are persian cats fun & loving? I know a few one and as cute as they can be, they're shy and boring.

Will you be waiting a few more weeks to bring the kitten home? It is very exciting to have the option of getting another cat. Many people here will be able to give you excellent advice on introducing your new cat to Willow. How easy or difficult the process will be will depend a lot on Willow's personality, and it MAY change the relationship you have with Willow slightly.

I introduced Connor to Ally 6 months ago. As most people on this forum know, I had a rather difficult time, especially with Ally, my first cat. However each introduction is different, just as each cat is different!

It takes a lot of patience and time. I know that if you do decide to go ahead and get another cat, you will get all the advice and support you could ever wish for here.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

3 weeks is much too young for a kitty to leave her mom. 8 is the minimum, 10 or 12 is better. Kittens are healthier and much better socialized.

I have no experience with Persians and don't know their character.

In general at 9 months it should be possible to introduce another kitty to your existing one- if done slowly and with lots of patience.

" In general at 9 months it should be possible to introduce another kitty to your existing one- if done slowly and with lots of patience. "

"How easy or difficult the process will be will depend a lot on Willow's personality, and it MAY change the relationship you have with Willow slightly. "

Nothing very encouraging

Of course, I wasn't going to bring home a 3 weeks old kitten. I will get her in two months, if I decide to buy her.

Here she is!!!

Awww she's adorable I love Persians, they're my favorite breed. Blueberry's a himalayan, which is also Persian, but the Himmy is another class of color. I don't think that all Persians are "shy and boring", I guess it just depends on the cat itself. Blueberry is a pretty crazy cat lol He's not shy at all. Persians are a breed that is very affectionate and loving. But they're more laid back, compared to short hair cats. But I think they're a great breed
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

She's adorable. I think that it's easier to intoduce new cats when your current cat is young. Yes, she may be jealous but if you have the time and patience then I think that everything should eventually work out. Good luck and please keep us updated.

The time and patience is needed in any case. Filou and Tigris came together when they were 13 and 16 weeks old. It took one week before they stopped to ignore each other. THen they hissed and growled. And they were inseparable then.

If you bring cats together, they won't be friends after an hour. Which doesn't mean they won't be friends.

The kitty is incredibly sweet All the best.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How cute!!!!! I have one kitten and am thinking about getting another too. I really love my first cat and don't want his personality to change one bit. but there's no way you can predict the future so you just have to make your best judgement. I think as long as you take the introduction slowly, make sure they both feel stable and loved, hopefully everything will go OK.

BTW, what is the sex of the cat you have now and what is the sex of the kitten? Is the cat you have now spayed/neutered and are you planning to spay/neuter the kitten?

Oh I just read, they're both females. Are they spayed?

It's the same cat on both pictures

No, she is not yet spayed.

Originally posted by kath00
    "[i]

Nothing very encouraging

I'm sorry - I didn't intend to sound negative. She is a very beautiful kitten, and you have obviously not taking the decision to adopt her lightly - rather giving it careful thought and consideration, which is GREAT

As I said, you will get all the advice and support you need here!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.