Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Magoo and wrist update...

Mr. Magoo and wrist update...

Hi everybody! I have missed posting so much! I am checking threads and loving all the pictures!!! I know I haven't been posting but I promise I'm keeping up.
    It is still painful to type but much better today. Almost all of the swelling is gone and the red streaks have almost disapeared. I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm on 1800mg of antibiotics a day and they are tearing my stomach up but I shall endure! I will be so glad when this is a bad memory!!
    Paddy Bear is doing well and I will update you on how we have handled him. My hubby has earned his wings through this whole ordeal! Paddy really responds well to hubby so I have left him in charge. I told hubby that I decided I didn't know beans about cats and I was going to let him call the shots! Hubby decided tonight that Paddy needed out to get some excercise. I said whatever you want to do is fine with me at this point! We closed off a door and gave Paddy free reign of the TV room, bathroom and utility room. We let him check things our for about thirty minutes and then brought in Leroy. We didn't want Paddy to start feeling territorial over these areas. Leroy and Paddy exchanged nose sniffs and went on their merry ways. We then brought Sammy into the room and they pretty much did the same thing. We wanted the two top males to be well known by Paddy so there wouldn't be territorial issues. We left Paddy out of his cage for about 45 minutes. We also made tsk tsk sound everytime we went to touch him. We want him to know that means it is us and not one of the other cats. He seems to be catching on. He comes to hubby when he calls him using that sound. We are all in a learning process but tonight went very well. I know this goes against everyones advice and sounds like it is all too soon but we are playing this by the way it feels here. The cat needs some freedom and excercise. We kept a large towel on hand and hubby was ready to intervene at any moment but thankfully that wasn't necessary. Paddy went back to his cage with no problems and passed out from all the adventures! Our plan is to do the same thing in the morning for a brief outing and then again tomorrow evening after work. We will slowly introduce the other cats but they seem not to show him much interest now. We will wait weeks before allowing him to go further in the house. At least these are the plans now so the guy can get some excercise and get to know his environment. Keep the prayers going that all continues to go well. I learned quickly not to think this was going to be easy!!
    Ok now on to some pictures!
    Here is a picture of my wrist right after the bite. I didn't take any during all the swelling and really gross stuff. I hope this doesn't offend anyone! This will at least give you an idea of where he bit me. Doesn't look that bad does it?

This is a picture today and you can see where the doctors marked on my arm how far up the infecion traveled in one day.
    Notice how much better the wound looks? It still hurts like the dickens but much better than before!

Now on to Mr. Magoos adventures tonight.
    Daddy gives him a good brushing and he really enjoys it!

Sorry this is a little blurry but you get the idea.

Sammy and Paddy Bear check each other out.

Paddy looked so big in that tiny cage at the shelter but he really is a very small cat. I was surprised but I can tell you that he packs one heck of a WALLOP!!!
    Well that is all the news for now and I must go elevate this wrist because it is starting to throb. Thanks again everyone and I will keep you updated!

Sounds like Mr. Magoo had a good adventure today, and I am delighted to hear that you are healing up. OUCH!!!! I'm so sorry that his first day resulted in such pain for you. Take care of yourself! I have an "attack" cat, but he has never gotten me in that "perfect" spot, yet. Hope he never will!!!!!

I'm glad to hear your wrist is doing better.
    From what you said, Mr. Magoo seems to be doing pretty well and is on his way to getting his bearings. Making the little tsk tsk sound is a great idea so he will be able to associate who is around him.
    {{{{big hug}}}} to your hubby for being such a good guy!

I have a feeling things are going to be fine around your house...you all are learning to live together, Magoo with your household and vice versa. Best wishes and mighty prayers for you all.

Sounds like you guys are handling it well. Glad things have calmed down.

That picture of your arm gave me sympathy pains - ouch!!!!
    I'm glad that the swelling and redness are almost gone.

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like S.P. Magoo really loved his brushing. Good opportunity for some bonding too.

I'll be looking forward to your updates.
    Take care!!

From Decker with Love

I'm glad to hear your wrist is doing better, though it still looks sore to me. Amazing what a little kitty can do, in that it is so very painful. I have been bitten by dogs, prairie dogs, monkeys and none of those hurt like that cat bite did! So I can really feel for you.

It really looks good to see Paddy walking around your home, and getting to know some of your other cats. I just didn't realize how much hair he has, nor how beautiful he really is. Glad to hear your hubby is helping you out so much. That is very sweet of him.

Thanks for the update and the pictures. Continue to take care of your wrist, I hope it get well really soon.

Willie

CCL, I'm so glad to hear that your wrist is doing much better and that things are going well with Paddy Bear too.

I'm glad that your husband was able to step in and help out and also form a bond with Paddy Bear. Thanks for the update. Please take care.

Ouch.... I'm so glad that your feeling better despite the affects your having with the strong antibotics. Will keep continued good thoughts coming your way. Looks like a wet day for the derby this year. Thumper is still deciding on her choice of hat

Worried for awhile

Wow, CCL, you had us all worried for some time. I am so darn happy that your wrist is healing and that Paddy Bear is starting to get the hang of it.

Did you get medication for Paddy Bear or is he just calming down on his own?

Good idea to let hubby handle the Bear .... sounds as though they may have known each other in a former life!

Every time I see a photo of the Bear my heart breaks. I just cannot imagine a cat without eyes. I can tell so much about my cats by what is going on with their eyes...happy, sad, mad, scared..... you didn't have that advantage when the attack occurred.

Keep us posted. Stay away from the Paddy Bear until your arm heals and let hubby do the Bear wrestling!

Get well soon CCL,
    SAS

Thanks you guys! I'm back to work today, FINALLY! I still am not capable of doing much but I'm back. I can at least now hold things in my hand as long as it doesn't have any weight on my wrist. Still can't twist around but we have made wonderful progress just in the last day.
    Hubby has done wonders for Paddy and I have a feeling that at one time he may have been loved by a male. He responds immediately to the male voice. Maybe I remind him of the shelter or he is just going to be a one person cat like Sammy. If thats the case then I don't think it's going to be me! He lets me love him but he gets so excited when its hubby. He throws his head around and rolls on the floor. It's so cute! Hubby is not a real gentle man either and I think this is what Paddy needs. I'm not going to be as gentle with him anymore either!

Did you get medication for Paddy Bear or is he just calming down on his own?
    The vet said she believed this to be an isolated event but if there were anymore signs of aggression then we would start him on something. So for now Paddy is drug free and I hope I can keep it that way.
    Every time I see a photo of the Bear my heart breaks. I just cannot imagine a cat without eyes. I can tell so much about my cats by what is going on with their eyes...happy, sad, mad, scared..... you didn't have that advantage when the attack occurred.
    We are definately going to have to learn body language!!! It is very difficult to tell what is going on with no eyes to judge by and also very sad!
    Keep us posted. Stay away from the Paddy Bear until your arm heals and let hubby do the Bear wrestling!
    ROFLOL!!! No problem!!

I am SO glad that things are geting back to normal.

Here is a story for you, CCL:

Our RB cat Thumper layed his teeth into me GOOD!!! the first time I took him out to see the vet. My hand was out of commission for 2 full weeks from the swelling etc. This cat had no reason for this and he did it without provocation. (trust me, the vet visit should not have cause a bite of this magnitude)
    I do not for one minute regret the decision to just keep him and see what the future would bring. Other than the fact that we muzzled him for future vet visits, he was one of the best kitties I ever had and I loved him to pieces.

moral..................it IS possible to be an isolated incident AND it will keep you on your toes so future attacks can be prevented.

I love Mr. Srappy Magoo! (he looks a lot like Thumper)

CCL, I’m so sorry you got hurt. Any change, especially moving is stressful to a cat.
    I can only imagine how much more stressful it would be for a blind kitty.
    Sometimes they lash out in fear or if over stimulated.
    Phoenix, much like Ripley used to attack me when he was in a bad mood.
    I could barley touch him without getting bit or scratched.

Paddy bear is so adorable and he looks so happy being brushed.
    I can only brush Phoenix around his neck. Any other places I get to feel his lethal claws.
    I wish you the best of luck. I’m sure this little guy is going to be a real sweetheart.

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

I am glad you wrist is feeling better!!...

Mr. Magoo is looking so cute!.. He really looks happy and looks like he is settling in just fine!...

Sounds to me like you are doing a wonderful job introducing Paddy Bear to his new home and with the other kitties!!..

The pictures of your husband brushing Paddy are too precious.. he looks like he is really enjoying it...

[CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I am so very, very happy that Mr. Magoo is doing better and that you did not give up on this extra special little guy.

I have a story like Jen's as well. I was helping my mom with Lillie-Mae. She is one of the smallest cats out of my moms 8 that she has. Well, Lillie Mae got an ear infection and needed drops in her ears. As mom is a little afraid that she is going to hurt the cats I have always helped her with medicating them. Well mom had a good hold on Lillie-Mae and the first round of drops in her left ear when in fine...but when I went to put the drops in her right ear Lillie-Mae screamed and before I knew what happened she had taken a hold of my right hand and sunk all 4 fangs into my right hand. I was lucky because I did not get an infection....just huge swelling, puss, and a hand that was out of commission for over a week......my moral of the story is the same....Lillie-Mae has NEVER done this again and when I do have to medicate her.....I am on my toes (literally).

P.S. my mom was laughing at me because of what happened....she really only thought that Lillie-Mae scratched me, but she later found out that in fact it was a bite....well, let's just say that God has a sense of humor because while I was in a lot of pain....Lillie-Mae had peed all over my mom. I told mom "Were even".

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

P.S. my mom was laughing at me because of what happened....she really only thought that Lillie-Mae scratched me, but she later found out that in fact it was a bite....well, let's just say that God has a sense of humor because while I was in a lot of pain....Lillie-Mae had peed all over my mom. I told mom "Were even".
    ROFLOL!!!!
    I know I'm not alone in the serious cat bite catagory but this was my first major infections with one. I don't want to do it again!!

I would have never given up on Paddy Magoo just because of one bite! If I was like that I would have gotten rid of Sammy a long time ago!! I know we have a lot of learning to do and I'm finding it interesting. I know that eventually Paddy and I will learn how to live together. As long as I don't have huge problems with him and the other cats then we will be fine. Now I was ready to haul his butt right back to the shelter the morning he bit me!! Now I'm in love with him again!!!

I'm so happy to see that things are progressing positively. That bite looks painful enough to me - but then again, anything remotely pain-inducing looks very painful to me! I'm such a wimp. Its amazing how much power can be found in those little guys.

Have you heard from the Health Department people yet? Will you hear from them?