Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declawed cat, bitting more often

Declawed cat, bitting more often

Hello, I adopted a tabby cat from my shelter, he is declawed on all four paws and he broke his foot by jumping on a shoe box but I heard that they could only do 2 front paws, not four paws. Here is my question, since we brought him home, he been bitting more then usual and he plays more agressive with my other two cats. We call him Toby, he very wild, always playing and very playful kitty. Also, he gets in the way too much. I want to know if this has something to do with his behavor because he has been declawed. Is their any solution to stop the bitting? Please help!! By the way, he doesn't sleep much and is always eating and he likes humane food.

I_Love_Cats,

It IS possible for all four paws to be declawed (inhumane and disgusting, but possible). And the reason he is biting is because of being declawed. Biting is the only defense he has left. The way to stop him from becoming too agressive with his biting is to either spray him with water (anywhere but in the face), clap and yell loud "NO!!!" and walk away from him. This way he will eventually get the hint that biting is not tolerated.

It could possibly be that the foot he broke is bothering him. You might want to take him to the vet just to be checked out and make sure nothing else is wrong.

His behavior I'm sure definitely has something to do with his being declawed in all four paws. Did you happen to notice in the paperwork the reason why the family gave him up? If it's for biting, then there ya go. How old is he?? Just keep in mind that Toby has no other way to defend himself except to bite. It might very well be that your other cats are too aggressive with him. Watch them carefully.

Also, did you introduce him to your other cats gradually??? By that I mean by letting them sniff Toby while he's protected in the carrier. Also, put Toby in a room by himself for a while letting your cats sniff under the door. Gradually let him out supervised. See how they interact with each other. Keep doing it till you think they are comfortable with each other.

Another thing to try is rub down your cats with an old towel, then let Toby sniff the towel and do the same thing with Toby. They will get used to each other's scents.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Donna

I suspect that who ever had this poor cat spent little time. He needs attention.

Quite a few (but not all) people declawing their cats are taking the easy way out and not willing to spend time. It's kind of like the parents that will spend money on a latch-key kid.

It may not seem right to spend more time with this declawed cat, but consider it payback for past neglect.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Thankfully there are practically no declawed cats here. There's no vet who would declaw if an owner came with a wish like that.

I go with Donna. He's biting for a reason. And since he has no claws to defend, he found another way.

Poor Toby, no claws! Like Donna said, his teeth are all he has left to defend himself! That is so sad!

I hope he'll gradually be able to play with the other cats! Try Donna's advise! Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I also believe with KK, that the previous owner spent little time with poor Toby. That's the sad part of some people with pets. They spend little or no time actually PLAYING and COMMUNICATING with their pets. I have 6 cats and I also work nights. It's tough but I manage to spend at least 30 minutes with each of my cats playing, massaging and talking to them. Poor Toby needs to know that he is loved. Sometimes when cats get declawed, they believe it's something they did (something natural to cats like SCRATCHING???). Unfortunately, you are at the end of his aggression because he never got to know any better with his previous owner. Hopefully the love and attention he gets from you will make him trust again. Just be firm with him about the biting.

Donna

P.S. Did you know that the United States is the only country that doesn't outlaw declawing?? It's a fact. Sad but true.

I'm going to approach this from a little different standpoint. First of all, I'll say, I don't believe in declawing. But this is a shelter cat, who has to get used to his new environment. My Butter was a stray, as you know, and he has all of his claws and some pretty sharp teeth too. We give him lots of attention, let him have his way, feed him good, pet him gently, only on his head and back, and he still bites and scratches like the dickens! And he has been here almost 1 1/2 years. He isn't in pain, he isn't abused, but we don't have a clue what happened to him before he was here.

I'm just saying that all declawed cats are not aggressive, and all cats with all of their claws aren't gentle. Each cat is different, and even if they have a perfect history or an unknown history, and still not fit the personality mold that they "should" or "shouldn't" have. All you can do is make sure he isn't in pain, talk to him gently, spend time with him, and above all, don't punish him for his actions. Just learn your limitations and at some point he might just come around. I'm certainly hoping for that outcome myself.

Best of luck to you.
    Logan

Originally posted by moosmom
    P.S. Did you know that the United States is the only country that doesn't outlaw declawing?? It's a fact. Sad but true.
    I think this is proof of ignorance about the whole process. I would never consider declawing, but until I joined Pettalk and started reading some veterinary sites about what this process was REALLLY about, I had no idea what it was and how horribly cruel it is to inflict this on a cat.

It made me want to hug my kitty and assure her I would never, never do that to her sweet little paws.
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

This is a list of countries that either outlaw declawing, or come close to it:

1. England
    2. Scotland
    3. Wales
    4. Italy
    5. France
    6. Germany
    7. Austria
    8. Switzerland
    9. Norway
    10. Sweden
    11. Netherlands
    12. Northern Ireland
    13. Ireland
    14. Denmark
    15. Finland
    16. Slovenia
    17. Portugal
    18. Belgium
    19. Spain
    20. Brazil
    21. Australia
    22. New Zealand
    23. Yugoslavia

Toby is getting a little better about biting us but he tends to bite are feet. We try not to play rough with him but he still plays rough with my female cat. I have to get after him all the time but he doesn't listen until I picked him up which he hates that because, he starts kick me with his back legs. I put him on the back of the couch then he finally settle down.

Declawing or not....mean is mean....

I think it is up to the owner to decided if they want to declaw a cat or not. It is a personal choice. We do still have choices as I recall. I have chosen to NOT declaw my cats. I do not condem anyone for making their choice TO declaw. There are lots of folks on this forum with declawed cats!

I have had declawed cats in the past, and I never noticed a difference in their personalities. They played less roughly, but that was it. I would go outside with them, never let them by themselves, and they would scratch on trees, catch chipmunks etc., just as though they had claws.

You can think what you want about the clawing/declawing issue, but don't let your imaginations run away! Really. I know this is a hot topic, but lets not condem folks, its a choice.

I have to agree with sasvermont. I knew a couple who RV'd with their cats all the time and they always had them declawed. The provided all kinds of toys and stuff and the cat was very happy. It could be that this cat was treated agressively after he was declawed and that is why he bites. There is no way of knowing, sadly.

However, I do believe that declawing is a choice. When I first got Bassett I looked into it because she travels with me a lot in the car, and I didnt' know if I would be able to train her for having her claws trimmed. I phoned around to different vets and got all sorts of opinions. We all have a right to agree or disagree with it but it's not fair to put down the people who made that choice for a valid reason.

I don't know if I told you this but beside being declawed on all four paws, he also broke his foot, it said he jump off a shoe box but I think the owner throw him off. He does get in the way alot, is it because he has been declawed. Here is a picture of my declawed boy "Toby"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I_Love_Cats,

Toby is such a sweet cat! I hope he's gotten better with his biting.

Although this topic is a little outdated, I just wanted to reassure everyone here that I was by no means trying to offend anyone. I am in no position to.

My first two cats, Mollie Rose and Casey, were scratching my new furniture. This was nearly 10 years ago, looooooooong before I ever knew what the procedure involved and when I was so VERY ignorant about it. I had them front declawed. When they came back from the vet, Casey who is buff and white, was a bloody mess. I regret having it done every single day of my life. I've been very fortunate in that they never developed any behavioral problems, arthritis, or litterbox problems that go along with declawing. And from that day on I swore I would never, ever do it again.

I have 6 cats and the other 4 I adopted since Casey and Mollie are all intact. I took the time to train them to use the scratching post. So there ya go folks, I'm guilty as charged.

Knowing then what I do now could've prevented it. I also believe that vets need to stop thinking about money and need to inform their clients exactly what is involved and what to expect.

To Mollie Rose and Casey, please forgive me.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

A connection? Who REALLY KNOWS?

Well, this is an old topic, I agree. It will continue as long as cats are around and being declawed.

As I have said in the past, it is a choice, and not one that I would decide to DO. Since it is not illegal here in the states, people continue to declaw.

In my experience with declawed cats, they don't know the difference. Two of my cats have their claws and one does not have his front claws. They fight, scratch, bite equally. I really think the difference is what folks allow their cats to do. I try to discourage biting altogether. I know that some people try to think like cats, but how can we? All I have ever seen with declawed cats is the standard scratching on everything as though they have their claws. Granted, they do figure out that they cannot pickup things with their paws without claws, and they use their mouths, but that is not related to actually biting someone and each other. I think biting is a natural activity for cats.

Many opinions - but who REALLY KNOWS!!!!