Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My spoiled cat won't eat his food

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)

My spoiled cat won't eat his food

My cat Rudie won't touch his catfood anymore. It's becoming a real problem nowadays, with him just simply fasting. He's always been a very picky eater (the woman of the shelter where he lived for 3 years spoiled him with anything she could get her hands on to give him at least something to be happy about as nobody wanted him), but we had him on some catfood that he seemed to like. Until December, where he didn't want it anymore. After feeding him those little expensive cups of catfood for one month, he now refuses them as well. It's heartbreaking to see him being hungry, and walking up and down the kitchen all day long. But any food I place on his feeding spot, is being ignored. Help!!! Who has any ideas how to get him into eating tinned cat food again? His sister eats anything I feed her, so it's him having a very empty stomach.

C.C.'s Mom, I am certainly not an expert on this subject, but does your kitty become hungry and then still not eat anything? I had a maine coon cat many years ago, and he would not eat any kind of canned or dry cat food except canned liver. But when he was really hungry he would eat most anything including whatever he could catch outside. Have you tried giving him some fish, say, tuna or some other canned cat food, something that you know he really likes? Could it be that he is not hungry because of not feeling well inside?

Having never had either of my cats give up eating I can't fully relate to your problem. (Actually they did when we got our puppy last year, but they eventually got over it). I think, though, if that did happen my first thought would be that they are sick, especially since Rudie did at one time like at least one type of cat food. I think maybe a vet trip to rule out illness might be a good place to start. Doesn't he eat anything at all? Poor Rudie!

He only eats bits of dried food, hardly anything and it won't fill his stomach. Actually, at the moment he's enjoying a bird on the table outside. I don't think he's sick, as he seems to be in bliss with the birdy, is happily running around in the snow, plays, purrs, cuddles. He's just picky, and this is something I would like to stop.
    I never feed them fish (they don't like canned fish or fish snacks) actually.

I'm just worried that he'll lose weight and I don't want him to live on birds or mice. A trip to the vet is of course something I should considder, though the thought of getting him into the carrier is putting me off food Last time he ended up in the carrier after 2 hours of fighting, me bleeding and upset and my husband very late for work.

If you're really concerned about it you really need to take him to the vet. Ask your vet for a sedative to give him before his vet visit - vet's will normally gladly give him one to save on their nerves when they're examining him. In the meantime, cats will not intentionally starve themselves, there's usually a medical reason why they wont eat. Check it out and good luck!!!!

Hi CC's Mom,
    I agree with Pam that a vet visit is your best bet. Just to make sure nothing's wrong (although if he's eating birds outside, there's probably nothing wrong with him).
    Once you have ascertained that he's not sick, just continue to feed him normally. Cats can sometimes get picky, but just like children, if they're really hungry, they'll eat.
    Good Luck!

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Maybe Rudie is upset or depressed about something? Possibly inside the household, since he will hunt & eat a bird outside?
    Anything new or different going-on for him? It could be something that seems insignificant to you, but cats can be quite sensitive.
    My sister has a cat that is depressed and has been on kitty antidepressants.

As far as food goes, my vet has told me that trying baby beef food is good for kitties (human baby food like Gerber).
    I had a cat several years ago that had a very touchy tummy, and I fed her that for sometime.
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

I had him checked out by the vet last night (still can't believe how we managed getting him into the carrier, but we did), and he said there was nothing wrong. He's in good condition, his teeth are okay, and he has no signs of trauma or illness. The vet thinks it's just him wanting something new.
    In the meantime, his food has been left untouched and I'm still with the same problems of him not eating except from his outside snacks.

C.C.'s Mom...I'm glad Rudie checks out OK. That must be a load off your mind. Hopefully he is getting enough nourishment from his "outside treats" to sustain him until his appetite picks up again. I guess you could try testing some more different types of canned food on him. At least his sister has a good appetite so you know if he turns up his nose at his food it will not go to waste. I guess three years of being pampered with delicious treats is hard to get over! Hopefully he will soon come to realize that "that was then, but this is now!"

C.C's Mom - here's a thought - last time I had Spence into the vet (Dec. 21st to be exact) she gave me some high calorie wet food to give Spence that she said was especially for anorexic cats . I mixed this food along with a spoonful of Gerber's baby food (chicken or beef) and he just loved it! You might give this a try

Rudie is definately not loosing any weight. He's still a very proud 15 pounds. I don't know Gerber baby food; it's not being sold here. Might try one of the brands they sell here at WalMart.
    So far I tried all canned food, no exeption. From Hills to Iams to normal supermarket food and back again to the premiums. He sniffs, might try it, turns around with his nose in the air and goes outside. And 10 minutes later he's head butting my feet again, demanding being fed.

I do hope that one day he'll start eating what I give him.
    I give him supplements for cats now so that at least he's getting them.

Re: My spoiled cat won't eat his food

Misty is a picky eater and sometimes she refuses to eat what I have put down for her that I know she likes. But later she will go back reluctantly and eat it. Maybe if your that concerned maybe a visit to the vet might be an option. I know what it is like having a picky cat. Misty will like one food for awhile then suddenly she hates it. I keep on my toes with this girl. There as spoiled as human children.

I was having trouble with one of our babies not eating - the vet had us try Hills Prescription Diet A/D. It worked like a charm. Also, human baby food usually helps too.

Good luck!

Well... at the moment he seems to like Whiskas again, but only 2 kinds and only very little. He's not loosing weight and seems to hunt all day long. I tried baby food, but he didn't want it either (the dog did though).
    It's so hard seeing him sitting at the table where he's always getting his food and he won't touch it.
    I'll call the vet and ask about the Hills prescr. diet food. It's worth trying it. Thanks!

By the way, how is it going with Rudie?? Still accepting Whiskas? Your decription fits perfectly to Fister, he is rather choosy as well!
    To begin with, he was fond of most canned food available, but he soon changed. He seems to get fed up with a particular kind of food now and again, even though I change regularly, but lately he has been eating more and more dry food (at the moment the healthy & expensive stuff, because of his bladder problems) and that's just fine, as long as he drinks! There's one particular kind of canned food he really likes, that one you can get in IRMA next time you're in Denmark. They come in 5-6 different variations (small round cans).
    The small square cans that you can get most places, are supposed to be really Yummy, but those, he won't touch!

Well, I hope Rudie has changed and is eating more different things now. He certainly looks healthy!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.