Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on Declawing

Originally posted by Bastet27
    The vet I brought Piper to said it only hurts them a week, and then nothing.
    My cat is declawed, and, had no problem at all with the surgery or the healing process. he was leaping around like a fool the day I brought him home from the vet's, the day of the surgery. He wore an elizabethan collar for a few days, but, didn't have a problem with it, either. And, he didn't have any adverse reactions, physically or behaviourally. My two cats that I had when I was married (RB Justin, and, his mom, Vella) were both declawed and had nary a problem. My childhood cat (RIP Dusty) was ten years old when my parents declawed him because he suddenly decided to destroy all the walls in their home. He had no problem healing, either, and never had any adverse reactions in any way. He was the same ol' Dusty. I think you're making an intelligent decision, but, I also wanted to say that it's not always going to affect the animal in a negative way. Just my experience.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Originally posted by Bastet27
    The vet I brought Piper to said it only hurts them a week, and then nothing.
    I am SO PLEASED that Piper can keep his toes and Piper would be too.

Of course the vet says the operation is no big deal, he makes ALOT of money doing that operation. No declawing, no money.

Did you know that vets test their strongest painkillers on cats as they declaw them and post op. So that very act shows how painful the operation is.

Originally posted by guster girl
    I think you're making an intelligent decision, but, I also wanted to say that it's not always going to affect the animal in a negative way. Just my experience.
    You are right some cats hide their pain and seem to have no side effects (Apart from bad joints and heart because of the surgery )

But is it worth the risk as it is unecessary operation.

I treat my pets better than most people treat their children. My world basically revolves around them, it's why I joined this site. I've always had declawed cats in my life, and, I know many people that have declawed cats. And, trust me on this, I KNOW my cat. He doesn't hide pain. He's the biggest cry baby out there, and, he will milk a situation for as much attention as he can get. I'm not saying it wasn't painful at all, because surgery is, but, Lock was not affected by it anymore than he was affected by his neutering. And, yes, I realize that neutering is necessary and declawing isn't. I'm an intelligent person, and, I had declawed Lock for reasons other than furniture. And, when someone has already stated that they've declawed their cats, I think it's inappropriate to ask them if they think it's worth the risk. If someone tells me that they feed their cat or dog science diet or most of the other commercially processed pet foods, I'm not going to shoot off the list of diseases and deaths related to diet, and, then ask them if they think feeding their pet crapinabag is worth the risk, unless they ask me for the advice. And, all of my declawed cats have always had good, regular veterinary care, and, none of them had heart problems or bad joints.
    Last edited by guster girl; 04-28-2004 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Originally posted by RedHedd
    Declawing has also been outlawed in San Francisco.
    Isn't everything, except being gay and abortions, outlawed in San Francisco?
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    I know, I know, *sighs* I just couldn't help myself!!

All of this "being married to your son" business is intesifying my cynism...
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

Originally posted by sirrahved
    I know, I know, *sighs* I just couldn't help myself!!
    All of this "being married to your son" business is intesifying my cynism...
    oops I deleted my post but esentially I teased my DIL for being sarcastic and fueling the fire

It would seem that Bastet27 has reached her decision, and will not be declawing Piper. I would love dearly for Karen to lock this thread , so it could slowly "disappear"

I think that many decisions come down the amount of information you have at hand when you make them. As I have said before, I own two cats, who are not declawed. I also am pretty sure that if I did not have access to the wealth of information available on the internet, I would NOT have realised what the procedure entails.

If I think back 10 years, and I had owned a cat then, and my regular vet had suggested de-clawing I would probably have thought (okey-dokey, it's the "usual" thing to do). All I can say is THANK GOODNESS for the internet, and the wealth of information it puts at our disposal."

One more comment, and I hope I don't offend anyone......

PLEASE remember that sarcasm does not always "translate" well in writing - it may seem funny to the writer, who understands what "tone" is intended, but it may not be understood that way by the reader.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.