Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Declawing

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I think tendonectomys are just as bad! That's where the tendon is cut but the nails left intact, but useless. The nails require constant trimming, and the cat is still in pain. If you think about the act of scratching, it is to scent mark their territory, and also to provide excersize for their limbs. Left without claws, the excersize is virtually useless. Plus declawed cats can get lost. I've rescued a few in very bad shape! Woody was living in woods behind a hospital a half hour away from me. It took 4 trips back & forth to finally trap the very frightened cat. By then his tail had been ripped in half, and the stump that was left was red raw down to the bone! The rest of his tail got amputated a few days later. He didn't need to be neutered as he already was. He was also declawed. He had been out in the woods trying to defend himself for almost a year, and it came close to costing him his life.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Near Seattle in the beautiful Pacific Northwest

Have to agree with no vote

We've NEVER considered declawing. It is, in our opinion, one of the worst things you could do to your sweet kitties.
    The tribe is 5 cats strong and they all have their claws. We have scratcher posts and pads everywhere they love to scratch and they rarely, if ever touch the furniture.
    And just a personal observation...it looks like it feels SOOOOOO GOOOD to stretch up on a scratcher post and scrtich a little bit. Wouldn't sacrifice that for a couch any day!
    Tiger, Percy, Antoinette, Scooter,Norbert,Willy, Pippin
    www.tribeof7.com

My Cats Mr. Scrappy , and Mr. Fluffy were declawed m, and they had nothing , but trouble , in thier latter years , in being unable to keep the area , behindthier tails clean. I would NEVER DECLAW A CAT!!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I have had (I think 15?) cats over the years and all of them were declawed with ZERO problems. I always felt it was THE proper thing to do for an indoor cat - along with neutering - never gave it another thought except that I was doing what was best for my cat. It was NOT to protect my precious furniture - my furniture is shredded from their BACK claws! If furniture were that important, I would not have cats, or kids for that matter. Furniture is just furniture. BUT - education has to come gradually - and I have to say that at this point, after learning more about the procedure, I would NOT chose to declaw a cat in the future.

That said - I also want to comment that I came to the decision from careful reading and study and NOT because of the passionate ranting of declawing activists, some of whom I believe go overboard in their attempts to educate. THIS thread has been civil, but many have been accusatory and blaming in nature - pointing fingers of blame and judgement on people who have had the procedure done as if they were cruel and awful people for doing so.

I am going to digress a moment: I am an RN who worked surgery in the late 70's. I can recall a time when I was still in clinical with 2 other students and the patient assigned was a woman who was scheduled for an abortion. The others refused to care for her because they were Christians. I was NOT a Christian at the time and took care of the woman. Her husband had died recently, she already had four children, and she chose to have the abortion. The others stood around calling her a baby killer, etc. What did this accomplish? For one thing - it took me MANY years to become a Christian!! Secondly, even though I am now very much *against abortion*, it did not happen because of those name calling people but INSPITE of them! And, I would STILL take care of that patient today! Does calling people names help them change their mind?? No, it takes gentle teaching and understanding. Many PT folks, I have noticed from the Doghouse - are Pro-Abortion. They take offense at the Christians and others who (wrongly) use the tactics of calling them baby killers and the like. But the same is happening here!! Do you see where I am going??? Change happens gradually and namecalling, etc hurts the process and slows it down because it hurts people.

If I were to get a new cat, I would try the homemade scratching posts that someone mentioned and start them at at early age. There are plenty of sites that give good suggestions about how to provide the opportunities that cats need to use their claws. The claws can be kept trimmed. There are softpaws, etc. But, if you have already declawed your cat, for heaven's sake, do NOT feel guilty for doing so!! It is NOT a PT law that only anti-declaw folks are allowed to be here! (although after awhile, I suspect many will become anti-declaw unless they are shamed off the board) THAT is what I hope to avoid - having anyone so shamed and guilted that they feel like they are not part of this exclusive group with so many *rules* and not good enough to stay around. I am NOT trying to be snotty or smug or lecturing - just trying to be reasonable - OK??? I still suggest NOT to declaw
    Ok, I am done now

Debbie, you are soooo right! You cannot get your point across to somebody by ranting and raving or calling them names, making them feel like nothing. We listen, when a subject is explained nicely. I know if a person start nagging, or trys to beat me over the head with what they believe, I will not even attempt to listen.

It is better to explain the proper way, rather than just getting downright rude about it.

This thread is going rather nice. I love nice, don't you, Debbie?

In other words I agree with you, Debbie. Keeping a civil tongue will go a lot further. Thanks Debbie.

Willie

I want to echo Sirrahbed's post. I, too, have had many, many cats, and I made the decision to declaw them myself. They did not come to me that way, I take full responsibility for it.

I adopted Montana (the baddest black boy on four paws) in December, and he will NOT be declawed. Like Debbie, it was a process for me, too. I was educated, largely by the people here on PT..and, cannot in good conscience do this to another animal again. Learing how to deal with Monte's actions is also a process. I just can't play with him the same way, unless I want a bunch of ouchies! But, I learn. Do not, I repeat, do not pull away from a kitty that has his scissors in your hand! No big deal. I also trim his nails...and it has been a success! I use a loud noise to distract him from clawing where I don't want him to, and it, too seems to work.

I won't declaw another kitty again. I hope you will think this decision through, and reach your own conclusion.

I totally agree with Kelly (Noahsmommy). We beat this topic to a pulp. I also suggest you do research on it rather than ask everyone's opinion here.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by sirrahbed
    [B]But, if you have already declawed your cat, for heaven's sake, do NOT feel guilty for doing so!! It is NOT a PT law that only anti-declaw folks are allowed to be here! (although after awhile, I suspect many will become anti-declaw unless they are shamed off the board) THAT is what I hope to avoid - having anyone so shamed and guilted that they feel like they are not part of this exclusive group with so many *rules* and not good enough to stay around.
    I agree that noone that has a cat declawed in the past, should feel guilty or be made to feel guilty by anyone else.

Also many people adopt cats which are already declawed, same situation, no guilt should be involved.

But in my opinion those people who understand today what the effects are of declawing, read about this procedure and/or spoken to people who have seen the possible side effects and STILL decides to declaw should feel very guilty for the pain & suffering of their cat.

But the majority of people, like Debbie & Johanna, who learn the facts about declawing decide not to declaw in the future

BTW Bless you both for having the courage to change your views.

I agree that no one should have to leave the forum as they like declawing their cats As how will people learn the declawing facts if they are driven away.

Here is mine & Jen's anti-declawing articles as the site is up again, maybe someone will find them useful.

http://www.piftails.com/main/article...th/declaw.html

http://www.piftails.com/main/article..._onebyone.html

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Originally posted by NoahsMommy
    Ack, not another declawing (FIGHTING) thread. Maybe you should do a search on "DECLAWING" instead of making a thread. We've had many, many hurt feelings over threads like this.

By the way, declawing was only outlawed in West Hollywood, CA.

In short....NO to declawing. If you don't have time to teach kitty how not to claw furnature (ie: how to behave), you don't get a kitty, in my opinion...
    Declawing has also been outlawed in San Francisco.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I'm 500% against it. It's cruel and unusual.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    My opinion: Don't declaw. I think it's cruel and unecessary.

I've never had a cat declawed. If they attempted to claw up the furniture or rugs instead of their scratching post, I clapped my hands and shouted NO very loudly. They would stop what they were doing and being the smart kitties they are, they quickly figured out it was a no-no. It has always worked. Even with the 10+ year old kitty we adopted. She quickly learned that it was not tolerated in our house and this is no longer a problem.

I hope you reconsider. A family member had a female kitty declawed years ago and there have been many, many behavior issues with her.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Gosh, this subject really brings out the worst in people. My uncle had the best saying about opinions, and it goes like this: Opinions are like a**-holes, everyone has one!" PLEASE don't be offended by this.......its meant to make you laugh!!

Now with that said & done here is my opinion:

YOU know best about your situation and only YOU should decide weather to declaw or not. A lot of people gave you good sites to make YOUR opinion about your decision. You have to decide what is best for you and your situation........please do not let other people control your thoughts on ANY subject or do things to please another person. This decision is for you and only you to make.

Good luck!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

We've had many, many hurt feelings over threads like this.
    Yes we have. I wouldn't mention it on this board to be honest. People have one way only of looking at it only no matter what your reason is

I have to say I am against it after doing research..but if it means declaw and keep the cat or don't declaw and get rid of it then I'd go for the first one. I'd try to train the cat first to not claw stuff. I'd use declawing as the very last resort. I do think it's not fair for the cat to be in unnecessary pain

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

From what I've heard here, there is NO WAY I will be getting Piper declawed. I had no idea that declawing was cutting off part of their toes The vet I brought Piper to said it only hurts them a week, and then nothing.

Yes this has indeed been a very controversial subject on PT before, but as you asked, I think its good that everyone has given you their honest opinions, I too say PLEASE DONOT DECLAW, it appears you have come to that decision, and I am personally very happy to read that.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️