Thread: Donovan

Donovan

Well, unfortuantly Donovan got another blockage(see last time: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45981 ). We had to take him to the emergancy vet, cause the regular vet closed at 7. At about 8:30 Wednesday night I noticed him acting strangely (read: DEAD to the world) so I knew something was up. As soon as I touched him he screamed, and stood up in straining position. I ran upstairs and woke Guy (he works midhights-sleeps till 9:30-10pm). He came down to look at him and said take him to the emergancy, so off I rushed. They anesetised(sp?) him again, inserted a catheter, and put him on fluids. He stayed over night, and I picked him up the next morning. The emegancy vet suggested putting him on a straight wet food diet as the Hill's S/D he was on obviously was not working (which is weird as it is supposed to dissolve any remaining crystals, not create them). I dropped him off at the reg. vet for observation for the remaing 24hrs of his catheter. When they removed it, they asked to keep him one more night as there was still too much blood in the urine they they were comfortable having him leave with. I asked for an x-ray to be done, but it came out clear. He is now still on the Hill's S/D (the reg vet insisted...) until the end of his Clavamox, then I will switch him to the wet diet.
    I'm really hoping that he will be okay this time. I don;t want him to have to have an operation, but it may end up being his only option. Please keep him in your thoughts.

Thanks Kfmar!!!!!!!

Oh poor Donovan. Sending prayers and postive thoughts you way.

My Max is now on S/D because he has crystals. This is only his 2nd occurrance in 6 years. Anyway, I've noticed that his peeing is improving but not as much as I had hoped. After hearing your story I'll have to keep a closer watch on him. When you say wet diet do you mean S/D in cans??? I wonder what the difference is.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

When you say wet diet do you mean S/D in cans???
    No, just a high quality wet diet. Hill's always made me doubtful, and now that it hasn't seemed to work, my lack of faith in it just rose. He will be on Evolve.

Donovan sends tons of purrs and headumps!

Thanks Kfmar!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear that Donovan is still having crystal problems and that the new diet isn't helping him. Does he drink enough water? I know that putting him on a wet food diet will give him more water intake so this may help him in that way.

Since my cat Cirrus is semi-feral, my vet and I decided to have the surgery for his blockage problem. He's also not quite 2 years old yet and this is very young for these kind of problems. He's now on the Hills Presription C/D Diet for the rest of his life and he loves it. I can tell that he's much happier too.

If Donovan continues to have problems, I would highly recommend to have the surgery. The first few weeks are hard on the cat but after that they feel much better. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care.