Thread: Maggie keeps biting...

Maggie keeps biting...

Maggie has started biting. She gets really mean and then she bares her teeth, growls, and then attacks. What should I do?
    Today was the first time she broke someones skin.

~Maggie~
    DESTINY
    "Destiny is a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice: it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
    WINSTON CHURCHILL

Maggie is teething. Just like Elvis.

Elvis bites us too, but you should get maggie some rawhide bones. And it will keep her busy with chewing so she wont chew you.

If she is growling and attacking, maybe she wants to play?

I know she is teething and she has rawhide bones and when she "play growls she doesn't sound like she does now." it is weird. She has a softer play growl.

~Maggie~
    DESTINY
    "Destiny is a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice: it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
    WINSTON CHURCHILL

I am cutting andpasting this from apost I made on another board about a similar situation..hopefully I'll get all the names changed...

A new puppy willoften test the limits andtry to make themselves "alpha" of the pack. I think Maggie wants very much to be the alpha and you have to let her know that is not going to happen. It is so hard to discipline a dog when they are these tiny little adroable puppies, but if you don'tknow, it will never get better.

I would make Maggie work for everything. Don't give her dinner until she sits. Maybe for awhile even hand feed her. Really show her, everything comes from the humans.

When she gets aggressive playing, end the play session. walk away, put her in another room, her kennel, whatever. Make her realize that behanvior is not accetable and will only end her play.

If these things don't work, you may have to go a step further. Maggie would not be allowed on the furniture, on the bed ( if she is). I'm not a behaviorist, but I have heard many say, if the dogs are at the same level as the humans, they will act that way. We have never had any aggrssion/dominance issues with our dogs, so we have not worried about it, btu I know it works for others.

Finally, Maggie may need some outisde trianing. Puppy classes are wonderful for socialization and to teach us humans how to react in a manner that the dogs understand. Some dogs need messages different ways. What works to "punish" one dog may not phase another.

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
    A new puppy willoften test the limits andtry to make themselves "alpha" of the pack. I think Maggie wants very much to be the alpha and you have to let her know that is not going to happen. It is so hard to discipline a dog when they are these tiny little adroable puppies, but if you don'tknow, it will never get better.

I would make Maggie work for everything. Don't give her dinner until she sits. Maybe for awhile even hand feed her. Really show her, everything comes from the humans.

When she gets aggressive playing, end the play session. walk away, put her in another room, her kennel, whatever. Make her realize that behanvior is not accetable and will only end her play.

If these things don't work, you may have to go a step further. Maggie would not be allowed on the furniture, on the bed ( if she is). I'm not a behaviorist, but I have heard many say, if the dogs are at the same level as the humans, they will act that way. We have never had any aggrssion/dominance issues with our dogs, so we have not worried about it, btu I know it works for others.

Finally, Maggie may need some outisde trianing. Puppy classes are wonderful for socialization and to teach us humans how to react in a manner that the dogs understand. Some dogs need messages different ways. What works to "punish" one dog may not phase another.
    I agree with this 100%. Putting Maggie on NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) program will definitely put her on the right path. Cincy's Mom's suggestion on stopping the play when she gets inappropriate is also important in establishing boundaries for the girl. I also feel training classes are a must. You might want to look for a trainer that also has some behavioral skills.

Good Luck.

Maggie is no longer aloud in the house for a while because she whines at the door all day. I always make her sit about a foot away before I feed her than say "go eat" and she goes.
    I was going to bring her to obedience classes with the trainer Emma goes to with Prince but Emma said she was to young.

~Maggie~
    DESTINY
    WINSTON CHURCHILL

Does the trainer offer puppy classes? She may be young for a formal obedience class, but she isn't too young for puppy classes. Maybe you can look into those.

Here is a link to several articles on puppy chewing and biting.

*Thanks Ashley*

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    Does the trainer offer puppy classes? She may be young for a formal obedience class, but she isn't too young for puppy classes. Maybe you can look into those.
    That's what I meant by too young.

I'll PM you Michelle's phone number, Sara, so you can call her about Puppy Classes.

Ill call her after school today and see what she says.
    Thanks guys!

~Maggie~
    DESTINY
    WINSTON CHURCHILL

Originally posted by Toby's Mommy
    Maggie is no longer aloud in the house for a while because she whines at the door all day. I always make her sit about a foot away before I feed her than say "go eat" and she goes.
    I was going to bring her to obedience classes with the trainer Emma goes to with Prince but Emma said she was to young.
    That might make matters worse. You have some great advice & I hope you can get her into a trainer soon!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.