Thread: Ferret Advice?

Ferret Advice?

I've been wanting a ferret for about 6 years (waaaah), and am constantly researching them. I'm still not getting one too soon, but hopefully within the next year (I also want birds, but think ferrets will be MUCH safer to have around my cats). Anyway, I know how curious ferrets are, how they like to hoarde stuff in hiding places, and how they like to chew and dig. Reading about all this constantly makes me a bit worried about ferret-proofing. I mean, it seems impossible! My plan is to get a ferret when I own a house. That way I can have a safe ferret play room. I'd also like them to be able to run around the house with me too. (I'd have them in a cage at night or when I'm not home). But that brings me to another point - they are soooo small and can fit into so many places. I'm worried if he's out of the cage playing, could a ferret easily get lost in the house ?

I assume you just have to very closely supervise at all times and pay attention to what your ferret likes to chew on. I think I'm most worried about him swalloing something and getting a blockage. Opps, I'm starting to talk like I already have one

I got to play with 3 ferrets yesterday at the pet store and I was so heartbroken to leave them. They were soooooo funny! I love their antics and can't wait to have 1 or 2 of my own!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

If you look back on pet general abut a month ago (right around then) there were a couple posts explaining the tasks of a ferret owner.

I also reccomend maybe visiting a shelter to get info & a must... the ferret bible "ferrets for dummies" the best ferret book out there. Most libraries have it so you can read it before you get a fuzzie (ferret) but I reccomend you purchase one should you decide to get a ferret.

Also ferretstoreforums.com is a great ferret learning site! Peak around there you are bound to learn a lot!

There is just so much about ferrets that i really didn't want to type it all over again LOL but if you can't find the posts or you have any other ?'s let me know.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Thanks! I was browsing around everythingferret.com and saw several people mention the "ferret bible". I will probably buy it this weekend!

I've read up a lot on the internet and do have another ferret care book that I've read. I think I was just wanting some personal experiences from people to go along with my book knowledge. But browsing the posts on the ferret forum was helpful. I am still worried about the ferret-proofing task, but I'll keep reading about it.

Thanks again!
    Alyson

Yes i'm delighted with my choice of new pet, me and Tia are bonding slowly and she's great.
    I'm finding that i have a natraul touch with ferrets,lol.
    I have just ordered the "ferrets for dummies" bible and it will take a while to come.
    I love being a ferret owner.
    So different,lol
    Ky
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

ferret proofing oh my. It takes some good practice & even to this day I goof up once in a while. I move a chair just 2 inches to the left & bingo they can hop onto the table, etc... just simple things now. Although at first I did have 2 escapes to the outside world SCARY! Ferret proofing is never ending.

Just stay away from any materials that can bitten off & swallowed (rubber soft plastic etc..) as ferrets can get blockages very easily.
    get down on your hands & knees & crawl around your whole house. They are like rats, if their head can fit so can their body. Watch out for places like under cabinets, stoves, refridgerators washers, driers etc... as they can get lodged under there, or ooyu could have a hole under there or they can crawl into the appliance.

Ferrets do not have a cecum which is what digest all non-meat foods, they are 100% carnivors, they can properly digest abything but meat.

anything else just ask or pm me!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Thanks for the advice. I bought Ferrets for Dummies last night!! I want one SOOOOOO bad that I am already thinking of names
    Alyson

Yaay! I've got 3 & possibly 1-3 more on their way to be rescued by me!
    I also have 3 at a local shelter that I just fell in love with.
    Don't tell me the math will hit so hard that I will have 6 newbies soon?!?!?!?!

I really just wanted one or 2 more, then more came along that need good forever homes. Ive got the time, money & space just that 6 newbies all at once?

I'm thinking about it

Awww, you'll have to keep us updated about the newbies!

Do all your ferrets get along? And do they come in contact and get along with your other animals?
    Alyson

my best advice right now, be ware of the "preview super jumbo cage"...hehehehehehehehe

thats chaos my silver mitt, one of 3 ferrets i have. ill post pics of teh other 2 in a lil while

Awwww! How funny! Can't wait for the rest of the pics!
    Alyson

Look what I just came across. Its so sad Especially if your speakers are on .. the song makes me really weepy

http://www.miamiferret.org/shelters.htm
    Alyson

All of my animals get along, except one my ferrets likes to eat my rats but that is because they were breed for that & I feed them raw meat.

I was really lucky, It took a lot of training with my shep mix Nanook as he is a hunter. I don't really quite trust him alone with the ferrets, almost but not quite. As far as my other pets go I got the cat as 3 week old kitten so was raised by my ferrets & my Rott she just loves everything!

Yes my ferrets, dogs & cat all run around the house together.

Martins have the best cages I think!

Yeah that link is awful sad.

JETTAPUP: I got a Chaos ferret too!

lol i think Chaos fits all ferrets...lol
    when i got her i went to teh pet store to "look"
    well i picked her up and she bit me! right on the lip and she woudlnt let go. i said ok your chaos then i said ill take her. Shes a lil snot but shes gotten out of it mostly. I figured she keeps biting people like that she'll live teh rest of her life in that store. my hubby thought i was crazy. he said all of them you pick the one that bites..LOL