Thread: kind of an icky question, but I need help!

Hybrid View

kind of an icky question, but I need help!

Okay, this is a little icky, but I'm a little worried about a stray that's been wondering around our neighborhood for the last week. The poor thing's been living in a storm drain, I guess she wondered too far from home. After a few days I noticed that she was always around here so I put out some food (which she inhaled) and I've been feeding her since. She's a very sweet kitty, and she'll let me pet her for as long as I want.

Okay, here's the icky part. She seems to have had a bathroom type accident. I noticed it the first day I saw her, but there wasn't much I could do since she was so nervous. Now it's gotten worse, and there's no way she'll let me take care of it. I know it's a silly thing to worry about, but since it's gotten worse I'm afraid that soon her whole backside will be a mess.

Is this something that just happens sometimes, and are they able to take care of it on their own? I've considered trying to catch her and take her to the vet (will they even help with something like this?), but I don't want to freak her out with all of that if I don't have to.

I feel horrible for her, as this must at the very least be very uncomfortable for her! Any advice would be much appreciated!

This doesn't sound good at all. Normally cats are very careful to keep themselves clean .... if she is that messy, she is either having severe diarrhea and too sick to clean herself.... or she has lost control of her functions! This kitty needs to get to a vet as soon as possible!!!

Good Luck!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I've read that kitty diarrhea and messes can be the result of worms. Anyway to can trap her and get a stool sample or take her to the vet?

Oh, is she a Manx? There is one at the shelter that has been there for years because of her diarrhea problem. She's always a mess but she can't control it. The tech there said that Manx are prone to this recessive gene.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

She's just a regular orange tabby. She does have weird fur, it's not the normal smooth short fur, but it's long-ish on her body and the fur on her tail is very fluffy and long, so I'm wondering if the long fur is part of the problem.

Without going into too much detail, I don't think it's diarrhea. Um, just trust me on this!

I am worried about how cats normally keep themselves clean and she's so messy. I have noticed that when I'm outside and she's around, she'll start to work on it, but when I leave to go inside she stops. Possibly she's too scared and on guard to take care of it? It looks like for some reason when she was going she sat in it right away and just hasn't gotten it cleaned up.

Anyone else have any ideas? It sounds like a vet trip may be in order....how do you call to schedule an appointment for something like this?! Have you had kitties that were able to clean it up by themselves?

Thanks for all of the advice so far!

It sounds like she responds to you pretty well...she lets you pet her and seems to like your attention. Do you think you would be able to coax her into a cat carrier for a visit to the vets office. She is probably due for a good checkup anyway and they would be able to help clean her up and see if she is healthy.
    I'm sure she would appreciate the care and reward you lots of head bumpies. If she isn't spayed yet and you can afford the cost it would be a great thing if you could get her fixed.
    Good luck with her...and kudos to you for helping tend to her needs.

Originally posted by adamjai
    She's just a regular orange tabby. She does have weird fur, it's not the normal smooth short fur, but it's long-ish on her body and the fur on her tail is very fluffy and long, so I'm wondering if the long fur is part of the problem.
    She is a semi or long haired cat from your describtion.

It could be matted fur. Matts of fur pull on the skin to cause infection in the skin, looks nasty but treatable...i.e. shave cat, treat infection, keep well groomed in future.

Could it be something like that ?

Bottom line whatever is wrong with the cat she needs a vet visit.

Have you got a cat case or trap to catch her, or enlist help from a local cat charity and get her to the vets asap.

As a pet grooomer I have seen cases of badly messed rear ends. When they get to the point that you dscribed, the cat will not be able to clean it herself and it WILL only get worse. If you talk to a vet or groomer and explain that she is a stray that will need to be caught they may allow you to come in with just a simple warning call to them that tells them you have her and are on your way in. (especially if you tell them you ONLY want the rear end shaved...this will help in getting an on the spot appointment time.) Then you can make a full appointment time to have her looked at by a vet to find out if there is a reason it got matted and messed in the first place.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll call the vet this afternoon and see if I can get her in soon.

That does sound like Dirrareha , or her fur is long , and she cannot get , in behind to clea. Hopefuly you can get her .a Vet , ad can get her , the help that she needs! The Found Cats are praying , for that Poor Little Stray Girl!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS