Thread: i feel stupid!!!i gotta question!

i feel stupid!!!i gotta question!

OK.here's my stupid questin......how often am i supposed to update my dog shots? we have had Beanie for two years now and were planning on doing soon,but we didnt know when we were supposed to.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Every year. Dogs are required by law to have Rabies shots - they can be 1, 2 or 3 year shots, so you'll have to ask your vet which one you got to see when he needs a new one.

Dogs also need Parvo and Distemper, and whatever other vaccines are needed for your area. Those are all 1 year shots I think, so your dog should go every year for those.

And you especially want to make sure he's updated on shots before you bring your new dog home (hoping that you get him! ^_^)

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

yea. i dont know if we have them updated or not. we have had Beanie for 2 years and i have taken him to the vet before,but i don't think it was for shots. if by some chance we don't have his shots updated will we not be able to get scooter? if they aren't updated i will have my mom make an apointment.....another question.what is the approx. cost for getting it done? the cost is not a problem.i just wanted to know.

I'm not sure about your dog shelter, but ours will not let you adopt unless your dog has updated shots/vet visits.

Our vet sends out a postcard when we're due for shots. We do them every year.

Each vet check-up normally costs us around $160++ (per dog)but it also may change with the Vets near you.
    But, we sometimes buy Heartworm Prevention (which I suggest you do if not already) when we go, depending if we need it or not.

Call your vet and ask.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

By law they have to have their DHLPP yearly as well as their rabies. But that is here, I know what it is where you live. Depending on your location and your vet, you can get a 3 year rabies shot. Just remember that the vaccination doesn't just stop after exactly 1 year. I recommend titering (sp), which tests your animal to see if he is in need of his vaccinations renewed. Ask your vet about it, it's a little healthier for your pet then getting shots because the law says it's time for them (don't worry it is legal to titer).

Some people vaccinate every year. I'm taking a slightly more holistic approach and choosing to only vaccinate every 3 years or so.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Some people vaccinate every year. I'm taking a slightly more holistic approach and choosing to only vaccinate every 3 years or so.
    Why every 3 years? Do they last that long? I though they only lasted a year.

Think about it this way. People don't get vaccinated every year.

More and more studies are coming out showing that vaccines stay in a dogs system much longer than was previously thought.
    There are also studies linking over vaccination in pets leading to immunosupression in pets.

Also check with your state laws. Here it is not required by law to get the rabies vaccine. Another interesting thing about the rabies vaccine is that even though there is a 1 year, 2 year, and 3 year vaccine they are all actually the same stuff. The only difference is the number on the label.

I have done a lot of research on this and have made the choice not to have my dogs vaccinated again unless necessary. How will I know if it's necessary? Well every few years I will get a titer test to check the levels of antibodies in their blood. I did this last year for Parvo and Distemper and will do it this year for rabies.
    Here's a link to more on the subject.

http://ighawaii.com/naturally/newsle...ccination.html

*Thanks Ashley*

Originally posted by wolfie
    Why every 3 years? Do they last that long? I though they only lasted a year.
    Yep, Shelteez pretty much explained it. Once a puppy has it's boosters, it's likely that it won't need shots again at all. I'm still not totally comfortable with not vaccinating my dogs at all so I'm just limiting it to every 3 years. It's hard though.. I'm looking for agility places and one of the most respected agility clubs here require vaccinations. I'm hoping they'll accept proof of titer testing instead.. *crosses fingers*

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Okay, thanks Shelteez2 and binka_nugget.

Hmm, maybe I should ask my vet about titer testing.

i am too!ill have my mom make an apointment soon! thanks fr all the informatin!!!

Yearly? And no its not a stupid question!
    Layka