Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our drives us crazy by meowing all the time

Our drives us crazy by meowing all the time

Our cat won't stop meowing. It started with meowing to get in or out of the house but now it never stops. She meows insistently to get in or out and won't stop no matter how long we ignore her. Even if the window she uses to get it is open she will meow all the way in to the house and walk around meowing.
    We took her to the vet and he said that she is healthy and it's a behavioral problem.
    Any ideas on how to get her to stop this behavior would be greatly appreciated.
    Joey

some cats do it to get attention, others do it cause they want something.
    jeddy

You could try growling *NO* at the cat when she starts to meow. Also spraying the cat with a water pistol filled with vinegar and water (cats hate vinegar - make sure its white!) when she starts to meow insesently may help to curb it. Sounds like an attention issue though - you could get the cat another cat for it to play with

BWT: Welcome to Cat of the Day and .... PICS
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Water and vinegar that would be a good way of getting rid of my wife. She hates vinegar, maybe she is a cat
    We tried growling No at her it just made her more neurotic and afraid to approach us but didn't help the Meowing.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Meow back - the cat is merely talking to you. My Mishi meows a lot; sometimes it bothers me, but I've just gotten used to the fact that he's just a very vocal cat (and somewhat neurotic, but we won't tell him that ). Now I know it just makes him special; albeit a bit silly. I meow back at him and give him some extra pets when he's being particularly vocal for apparently no reason to me. I call him my singing cat and now I know when he doesn't sing, something's wrong. Like someone else said, perhaps another cat? That's a popular solution to many cat problems here on PT.

Welcome to PT! We LOVE pictures

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Sounds like a spoiled lap cat, if he bothers you, find another home for him, as this cat is an affectionate feline and will not likely change his personality. Some people would die to have a cat like that...........

Originally posted by lat192004
    Sounds like a spoiled lap cat, if he bothers you, find another home for him, as this cat is an affectionate feline and will not likely change his personality. Some people would die to have a cat like that...........
    What was that??
    I'm sorry, but I'm affraid insanity as hit this thread.
    Spraying water and vinegar?
    Getting rid of the cat because he meows?

What about positive reinforcement?

I'm out of here.

Meows speak louder than words.

I'm afraid it may be MishMish (the cat) or my wife

We have to do somthing as this behavior drives my wife crazy. I like MishMish but my wife is ready to get rid of her.
    So yes getting rid of her is an option though I don't like it. Spraying vinager would get rid of my wife so that isn't

Re: I'm afraid it may be MishMish (the cat) or my wife

Originally posted by joeye
    We have to do somthing as this behavior drives my wife crazy. I like MishMish but my wife is ready to get rid of her.
    So yes getting rid of her is an option though I don't like it. Spraying vinager would get rid of my wife so that isn't
    I can give you advice from my own experience. Get some scratching posts, loads of toys, and a playmate. If she is a young cat, give her time to grow up. Her constant meowing is her want for attention. Pick her up and hold her. I didn't mean to get rid of because she meows PIZZ, it's just the kitty may need more attention than it's home can provide. Not all cats are suited for a certain family. A Bengal cat or Aby require loads of attention. Your kitty requires all your attention, and she is telling you. Cats are like that. Siamese cats are "talkers", and are a riot to be around. Good luck with your cat, keep us posted on what happens. One more trick: get some catnip, and put in somewhere where she can scratch. That will at least focus her attention on something else....

Pizz - the suggestions made here ARE positive reinforcement!

I am sure that beating the cat for meowing or starving it or other horrific things like that are most certainly out of the question.

Some animals (including my Bastet and she is VERY much loved) need training. I certainly would not let her run wild on the furniture with her claws considering its not my furniture and my landlord tolerates her because she isn't destructive.

BTW: you could just try water in the water pistol
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Positive Reinforcement is anything which comes immediately after or during a certain behavior. That positive reinforcement increases the chances of that behavior happening again.

The cat meows insistently.
    You say NO.
    He stops meowing.
    You give him a treat. <---- That's the positive reinforcement.

purple

bold

Holy Smokes!
    POor baby... you have a talker... what a sweetheart.....WHat kind is she?
    How old is your cat? Do you have any other pets in the house or is she an only kitty?

I agree with our othe rposters.. sounds like she wants attention.. I would spend more time with her...talk to her.. she'll talk back to you.

PLEASE keep us posted.

Blessings,
    Momma Cat.. Deb

The problem is that Time isn't something they seem willing to give to the cat. A cat is a box of surprises. Sometimes we get the easy ones, sometimes we get the ones that require more dedication. Getting rid of one and getting another is no sure answer to our problems. Like I said, it's give and take.
    If anyone is not willing to be challenged, then he better not get himself a four legged companion.

So Joeye, before you think of sending your cat to the shelter, give him a chance, try to find out what makes your cat feel calm, use positive reinforcement, try to find the answers to her meows, get some toys around, a scratching post (can even make one yourself), keep her busy.
    But be aware that there is a chance that your cat won't change, that he will be a talker for the rest of his life. Be also aware that if you win this challenge, you'r likely to have found yourself a wonderful companion.

If you think you'r not up to it, then do your very best to find MishMish a HOME (and I mean a real home). It's the least you can do.

AMen and Amen.
    As you all know I have two cats. Shadow who is 13 and has "issues". We adopted Clayton a 6 year old Tuxedo. THey are not getting along... It has been and is a daily challenge. But Give up on them? NEVER.

Joeye... an animal is like a child. None are the same. THey are as individual as our we and our human children are. THey come with their own unique and wonderfil personalities and quirks. Our children did come with a handbook, and neither do our animal babies.
    WHen we had our human children and ran into challenges.. we didn't say well if she gets sick or gives me a hard time I am going to give her back. It is the same with our animal children. We accept the responsibilty of caring, loving and nuturing them no matter what the challenge and obstacles.
    If you think that you are not able to accept the challenge of a pet child that happens to be a talker.. then PLEASE find her a home, a LOVING home. I am getting the feeling that you and your your family may not be up to thechallenge of haviong a talker in the family. You baby onviously has alot to say. Listen to her. You may learn something.
    ANimals are as individual as we are. THey are no more disposable then a human child.
    PLEASE love her... give her time... and if you think that you cannot love her and give her the home that she deserves, then find her a loving home that can give her the time and attention that she needs.

BLessings,
    Mommacat.. Deb

When Julie gets talkative...I just talk back to her..like we are carrying on a conversation or she is telling me stories...something like : 'What? Oh you must be joking Jules!...Buddy said that? When she finishes her story she is usually ready for a catnap. I think they just want to interact with us.