Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't live like this anymore!!!!!!

I can't live like this anymore!!!!!!

My cats piss all over everything. The family stinks with cat urin. I can't live like this any more. I am almost ready to get ride of all of them. What to do, what to do?? We tried everything!!Nothing will work!!!! I am pretty sure it is everyone but Fatty, Now I'm not playing faviorits here but Fatty stays in one room and never comes otu has never had a n accident on the floor so it must be the other four. We have seen Tundra do it. I am pretty sure Hoss does it and then Buddy does it because Hoss does it and My borther has seen Smokey do it. We can't live like this please please please help I am desprate for anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Egyptians thought cats were Queens, cats will never let us forget it!
    Dogs have masters, Cats have staff!

Are the cats neutered/spayed?
    Litter boxes cleaned regularly, etc etc?

In the meantime, have you tried the carpet cleaners that elminate pet urine odors? Don't know if they actually work but it's worth a shot. (I think 409 makes a carpet cleaner that removes pet odors--fabreeze might help, too.)

I had a friend who's cats did this. I wonder if they need to stake out their teritory becuase you have 4 of them. Is their litter box in a private area? Do you have enough of them? Maybe you should get them their own?

I am sure someone here can help, don't fear.

Good luck!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

We have used both carpet cleaners. The steam vaccum works for a day or two. The cat boxes with crystals are cleaned abotu every month and our ones with litter are cleaned about every week or two. We scoup them too about every other day or so. Yes all of our cats are neutured or spayed. Again I say please please please help!!!!!!!!!

Have there been any changes to their surroundings? New additions to the family? Anything "new" that they might be upset about?

When did this behavior start? Was it suddenly or something that has been happening since kittenhood?

If I don't scoop Edwina's box EVERY DAY she will let me know with an accident. I know that must be a challenge with four but perhaps even more urgent!

We have 6 cat boxes out here and then one in Fatty's room. I am goign to start to scoop them everyday. There have been no new changes, this has been going on with Tundra for about 6 years (since we have had her) and with Buddy and hoss since we got them (x-mas last year). I think even if we do scoop the cat boxes everyday they will still urine all over. Thanx for the help I am trying everyones suggestions!

I hope you can find an answer to this problem. If only the cats could talk!

A friend with only one cat had a terrible problem after getting new carpet. For some reason the scent triggered the cat. The cat was eventually banished to being an outside-only cat. The new carpet never did recover.

Maybe finding a new place for one or more of the cats will help! Best Wishes!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

There is only fighting when Buddy play fights with hoss. Then Hoss gets mad and fights with buddy. But besides this no fighting goes on. We have a two story house. I guess. There is the bbasement which we fixed up and the cats go down there and then theres the upstairs and the cats are aloud up here. There are only two rooms in the house where the cats are not aloud, My room and Johnathan's (my brother) room. My mom used Odoban on the carpet in here it doesn't stink as bad but it still has that smell. Worst of all they go in my little brotehres room and we don't know what to do about that cause he likes to sleep with hoss on his bed. Please help!

OH Buddy - this is a terrible dilemma you're in. I've dealt with pet odor every since I've had a multiple cat household. However, thankfully all my babies are using the 2 boxes I provide for them. I had a big mess when I had my kittens last Feb. and ended up replacing the carpet in the bedroom where the kittens were born. I've replaced the carpet in the "cat room" with a type of burber indoor/outdoor type carpet and that has been swell - it cleans up really good. All and all I really think you have turf wars going on among your feline family. Hate to say this, but if you want them all to be indoors you gonna have to put up with the smell. Just keep the boxes as clean as you can - clean and deodorize the problem areas and maybe burn a lot of scented candles - thats what I do - just last night a cleaned the cat room and burned a cinammon scented candle in there - it helps a lot. Good Luck Buddy!!!

My son has two semi-new (in the house for a few months now)kittens that stay mostly in his room with their own box. They are spending more and more time "loose" and occasionally go outside now. I have one grown female cat, Moon, that had an inner ear infection a few months ago that makes her a little dizzy still, so spends most (but not all) of her time in my mom's room (but with door open)with HER own litter box. My other cat, Emmitt, has the rest of the house with HIS own box. The kittens can use any box when they are out - and do. Kittens' box and Moons box get scooped once a day. I scoop Emmitts' box several times a day (only takes a minute) and we have no urine smell. Now if I could only get the dogs to stop pooping in the dining room we would be like "normal" people (hah )
    laurie

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: lbaker ]
    ~ at least I'm not...

While I agree with everyone else's suggestions regarding litterboxes and territory, don't rule out a trip to the vet.

When I was a kid, we had a cat that had a fixation with urinating on my brother's bed. (Better him than me!) After trying all sorts of things to keep her from doing it, (bro was too young to always remember to shut his door), kitty took a trip to the vet, where a urinary tract problem was discovered. Apparently there was something about my brother's bed that helped her "go."

At any rate, the vet put her on a medication that we crumbled into her food once a day. It worked like a charm. Kitty loved the medicine, my brother loved no longer having a damp matress, my mother loved not having to wash the bedding every day, and all was right with the world...

Buddy,
    I wish I had the answer, believe me. I have been having the same problem, but I just have one cat. Just last night, I was in our back room, and he decided to pee on one of my bags that had a Christmas present in it, thankfully, none of it soaked through and damaged the actual present. Usually I don't catch him in the act, so I clapped my hands loudly and said "no" repeatedly.

I have tried everything as well, and we are extremely frustrated. He's about 2 1/2 years old, he's been neutered, and we've been seeing/smelling this problem since he was 6 months old. We've taken him to the vet, and he did have a urinary problem so we had him on medicine for that and that cleared up, but he still pees everywhere. We took him back to the vet, and they put him on something like Valium to calm him down, and that didn't work either.

We don't let him stay in the house overnight, instead he stays in the side porch and that is his hang out during the day when we aren't home too.

The smell is very hard to get rid of, I'm thinking impossible. I've tried carpet cleaners, febreeze, and it still smells horrible.

Anyway, I'm desperately looking for any advice anyone may have too. Please help!!!!

Is it possible to have him re-neutered?!! I'm wondering if they missed something!

Originally posted by Buddy2101:
    <STRONG>My cats piss all over everything. The family stinks with cat urin. I can't live like this any more. I am almost ready to get ride of all of them. What to do, what to do?? We tried everything!!Nothing will work!!!! I am pretty sure it is everyone but Fatty, Now I'm not playing faviorits here but Fatty stays in one room and never comes otu has never had a n accident on the floor so it must be the other four. We have seen Tundra do it. I am pretty sure Hoss does it and then Buddy does it because Hoss does it and My borther has seen Smokey do it. We can't live like this please please please help I am desprate for anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!</STRONG>

As I was cleaning up the carpeting in my bedroom this morning, I thought about this topic.

Rascal is a four year old neutered male. I lost my little Patches this year, but she used to pee on everything.

Rascal has started peeing in the house, and yes, he has a clean litter box, cleaned daily.
    However, I am using a new litter, the clumping kind. I don't think he likes it.
    However, the Jonny cat was making my allergies scream.

I recommend Nature's Miracle for cleaning the carpeting and odors. I also am using a product called Effortless - in a spray bottle for quick clean up.

Rascal has gone around the perimeter of my bedroom - hit all of the furniture - and the closet door. So my latest recommendation is to try Feliway. I bought it at the vets, and it is expensive. $35.00 a 60 ml spray bottle. The idea behind the product is that it makes the cat think they have already sprayed at the spot - and won't repeat. I am just now trying this out on a regular schedule. So I will have to get back to you to tell you if it works.

The bedroom is Rascal's favorite room - and he leaves himself the most vulnerable there -exposes his tummy for rubs - curls up for long naps - and snuggles all night.

I have tried to examine the changes and there are two. There is a stray outside that he has encountered with a resulting huge fight. They stray went away for a while, but now he is back. The second is that a young 2-3 month old kitten has shown up next door. Rascal is fascinated with this kitten.

These are my current attempts to control the problem, and I will try to keep you posted on how the Feliway works out.

I have forest green carpeting - or at least I used to - so every single spot shows right up. I spend a lot of time on my hands and knees cleaning up the spots. And yes, it makes you nuts.

Just a thought for you to look into. Maybe they have an infection. if three are doing it and the 4th who stays away fron the others doesn't they may be passing an infection around. take the worst one to the vet for testing. I had this problem with house bunnies once and it was just that. It may take time for them also to get use to the box being cleaned more often ,so don't give up also when you catch them doing it pick them up and say no and put them in the box. Training a new behavior takes time and patince, breaking an old one is even harder.
    Natures miricale is the worlds best stuff.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel