Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can i bond with my mums dog?

How can i bond with my mums dog?

I knew Beth before we even got her, and never had a problem.
    This may sound really bad but since she came to live with us, I cant stand her (I love all dogs shape and sizes) but this one dog ? ? ? i dont know there is somthing about her that i hate.
    She's obedient (working sheepdog), good temp, pretty etc, i cant work it out, if she comes near me inside im screaming, i dont touch her if i can help it.
    I walk her, feed her and groom her, but even then its hard.
    I dont abuse her or hit her or shout at her but i cant stand her!
    I really want to bond with her a grow to love her like i do any other dog.

Please any advise (nothing like consaling,lol)
    Ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

Please anyone??
    Ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

WOW, rather heavy situation but the first question I have is - how does she feel about YOU?? You feed her, groom her etc. Have you asked her how she feels? Or talked to her or read her a story? Don't give up, you know better than that .. man, good luck and keep us posted.

I would just do what you're doing now. Feed, groom, walk etc. But just do it more. Training actually seems to help bonding as well. When we got Kaedyn, he drove me crazy for the first few weeks but we bonded nicely after we started training together and doing all the things you listed. It just takes time and an open mind. Start fresh and ignore the fact that you didn't like her before.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I have six (use to be seven but the Cheeky One went to RB Dec. 2) Border Collie Ausie Shephard mix and they are verrrry smart but hard headed. Their eyes can be spooky but look behind those eyes. ahhhh

I know its hard but I groom her once a day, feed her daily and walk her daily.
    We've had her for about a year and its been the same all the way through, i thought and hoped this hate feeling would go.
    I feel that she likes me and wants me to like her, she does the typical collie thing sits close and offers her paw, no matter how much i (it sounds horrid i know) ignore her she keeps offering her paw.
    Allthough she was a top working collie she was a pet for about 6 years with no training kept up, yet every comand i give there is an instant response, she is so willing to please me, i just cant figure out this hate for her, it may not even be hate feeling but i dont know what else it could be.

Ky and Rio
    Last edited by Rio and Me; 04-10-2004 at 03:59 PM.

Ky, I know you said don't recommend seeing a shrink or anything but seriously dear.. this, from someone like you, is not right

Well i will ignore your coment!
    and delete my previous post
    KY

I don't think there's anything strange about believing in ghosts. But, if you don't like the dog, you don't like the dog. Why force it? I mean, if you were being mean to her, or abusing her or neglecting her, that would be different. But, as long as you take care of whatever responsibility your mother has placed on you as far as the care of the dog, then, that's the best you can do, IMO. That sucks that you don't dig her.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I know what you mean but i would like to like her.
    It's undiscriable the way i feel about her and i dont like it as i'm a total dog lover, our other dog i love too but this one its different.
    Ky

I guess I missed the ghost conversation.

I'm sorry I have no advice because I can't relate and don't understand why you have a feeling of hatred toward a dog.

All I can say is thank you for ignoring the dog instead of doing something worse like pushing her away or something. I know you'd never abuse a dog.

Sorry. Hope you work things out.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I don't abuse her or hit her or shout at her but i can't stand her!
    and
    I feel that she likes me and wants me to like her, she does the typical collie thing sits close and offers her paw, no matter how much i (it sounds horrid i know) ignore her she keeps offering her paw.
    and

Why force it? I mean, if you were being mean to her, or abusing her or neglecting her, that would be different.
    I am not trying to sound mean here and I want to tell you honestly how I feel here because my heart is breaking for this poor dog. And I sincerely feel empathy for you because you are feeling that there is something not quite right about this situation or else you wouldn't have posted asking for opinions. It sounds like deep down inside you know that this situation is somewhat out of control and heavy, and maybe you are sharing it with us for input. It takes guts to admit to something so personal like this and I admire your courage to ask for opinions.

Sometimes the opinions of others aren't what one really hope to hear if they aren't in agreement with one's own idea's. And, I hope you won't be offended and won't shut out what I feel needs to be said.

First of all, I totally disagree that the way the dog is being treated is not abusive. It most DEFINITELY is emotionally abusive to the dog to withold affection from it.

Depriving a dog of the love, positive praise, and affection is a passive aggressive and cruel things to do to a companion animal. And it harms the animal just as much as physical beating or hitting the dog. Because although you aren't abusing its physical body and are meeting its physical needs for food and shelter, you are abusing this animal by being averse to its presence and by witholding your love, affection, petting, etc.

The animal senses the lack of love and just tries harder and harder to please the human and it ruins the dog's spirit just like a parent doing the same to a child would mess up the child. It IS ABUSIVE even though it is not hitting or beating. And if the animal sees you being nice and sweet to another dog while you don't treat it as well as you could/should, then the dog gets upset that you play favorites. And, this kind of treatment of the dog is being mean to the dog and is definitely a form of emotional abuse and emotional neglect. You are breaking this dog's heart and weighing down its spirit.

Just your feeling jumpy around the dog -- the dog surely senses that and just keeps trying harder to please you. The dog is trying so hard to please you by promptly obeying commands to show you it wants to be friends. And you are blowing the dog off by witholding your love. The sad fact is, this dog will never please you and will never meet your expectations because it cannot talk you out of what you have associated this dog with. It is up to you to change this situation if you really want to make it better for yourself and for this dog.

It sounds like you have associated this dog's barking with the paranormal and this fear is taking over you and causing you to treat this poor dog in a way that it sounds like you haven't treated other dogs. You admit that ghosts are something you are scared of. You said that this dog has made your safe place not safe anymore. You are blaming the dog for something over which it has no control; if it saw something paranormal and barked-- the dog has no control over seeing such a thing. You aren't mad that he barked -- you are mad that you don't feel safe anymore and you want to blame the dog. As a result, you are in essence making a scape goat out of him.

If the dog barks to protect you -- doesn't that say that the dog cares about you and loves you? If he truly is barking at a ghost, it isn't his fault. Instead of taking on the ghost or your fear of a ghost, you are taking out your fear on an innocent dog who doesn't deserve this.

There are ways to get over phobias and deal with them in a way that doesn't damage those around you. I'm not trying to be mean when I tell you that you are damaging this dog's esteem with your behavior towards it. If the possibility of a ghost unsettles you to the point that it is causing you to behave in a way that you wouldn't ordinarily behave towards a dog, then perhaps you should confront the ghost or your fear of a potential ghost?

You could invite over one of those paranormal people to drive the ghost from your home and then wouldn't you be free to love this dog like it deserves to be loved? OR, invite a priest or some spiritual person to bless and protect your home to make it safe. Have them bless the dog too. Maybe some type of blessing ritual that will make you feel like there is a new start? Maybe it could allow you to feel inner peace, confidence in your safety that you are protected so that you can start healing from the scare and feel more positively towards this dog. I can tell by your description of this dog's behavior that it wants desperately to be loved by you and approved of by you. If this presence you attribute to a ghost isn't attacking you or ripping your home apart, perhaps you could confront your fear head on and make peace with this presence so that it doesn't unsettle you and take away your control in your own household? After all, who is in charge here, you or the ghost? You have alot more power than you are giving yourself credit for here.

If you can't love this dog, you should not be subjecting the dog to emotional neglect by ignoring its emotional well being while safeguarding your phobia. It hurts the dogs feelings and its emotional well being. A dog can only take this kind of thing for so long before it either gives up with a broken heart/broken spirit and becomes sick or it starts acting out with behavioral issues.

I really hope you will do something to make peace with this dog and so that you have the peace of mind to be calm and at ease in your own home. You do not deserve to feel this rattled in your own home. Perhaps you could focus on making your home a sanctuary and take comfort in the dog's love and protection for you. Perhaps you could try having a spiritual person confront this ghost so that you are free to love this dog. Or, if it is a paralyzing phobia that is consuming you, there are counselors who can help you turn this situation around so that it doesn't have total power over you.

I do sincerely wish you well.

Best regards,
    Anna Lisa

Originally posted by 3CaniBellisimi

First of all, I totally disagree that the way the dog is being treated is not abusive. It most DEFINITELY is emotionally abusive to the dog to withold affection from it.

Depriving a dog of the love, positive praise, and affection is a passive aggressive and cruel things to do to a companion animal. And it harms the animal just as much as physical beating or hitting the dog. Because although you aren't abusing its physical body and are meeting its physical needs for food and shelter, you are abusing this animal by being averse to its presence and by witholding your love, affection, petting, etc.

I was under the impression that this is the mother's dog, and, I'm assuming (hoping) that the dog is getting love and affection from her. Ky did say that she brushes the dog, walks the dog, etc. If the dog is being neglected emotionally in the household by everyone, then that's different. That's all I was saying. I agree with what you say, though. I do feel badly for both Ky and the dog.

Thanks, Dogz!

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Originally posted by guster girl
    I was under the impression that this is the mother's dog, and, I'm assuming (hoping) that the dog is getting love and affection from her. Ky did say that she brushes the dog, walks the dog, etc. If the dog is being neglected emotionally in the household by everyone, then that's different. That's all I was saying. I agree with what you say, though. I do feel badly for both Ky and the dog.
    Thats the impression I was under also. I totally agree it would be a different situation if it was her dog and getting no attention elsewhere.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Yeah, I was under the impression that she was not the primary person for that dog, and, she already does quite a bit with the dog, as far as grooming, walking, etc. That's more than a lot of people would do with their mother's dog. ya know? I don't know the whole situation though. It does sound like, for whatever reason, the dog is really trying to be friends with her. I wonder, and, this is to Ky, does she do the paw thing with other people in the household? What is her relationship with the other people and with the other dog? Who spends the most time with her? This situation just sounds sad, but, it doesn't seem like we know enough about it to really give good advice.

Thanks, Dogz!