Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tesoro's Cancer: Need Advice

I applaude you for putting such thought into all of this.
    I can only imagine how much you love your sweet Tesoro and just want him to be happy.

Again good luck on your visit Wednesday.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

How did Tesoro's visit to the vet's go??? Check in when you can...(paws crossed for some encouraging news)

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thinking of Tesoro. Please update when you can.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

TESORO IS IN REMISSION

Hi Everyone,

Good News. Tesoro is still in remission! The vet said he looks excellent when I took him for his physical. His lymph nodes are normal. The cough -- it is mild and I only heard it once or twice and haven't heard it at all since those 2 times. I told the vet about it but she listened to Tesoro and checked him all over. She says he is doing great and is still in remission.

I guess I must have assumed the worst when I hold him cough last week. It upset me and made me think the cancer was coming out of remission. I'm supposed to keep an eye on him and let the vet know if the cough keeps happening or gets worse. But I haven't heard it in about a week now so I'm trying to be hopeful.

I've changed many things since Tesoro was diagnosed with cancer last July. I have him and my other dogs on vitamins and a healthy home cooked diet. If I don't have time to cook his meal, I give him Three Dog Bakery Brand Food which is way better than the food I used to give him prior to his diagnosis.

I think things are good for now. And since posting this thread, I think that I am more prepared for how to manage his illness if the chemo does come back out of remission.

Thanks to everyone.

Best reagrds,
    Anna Lisa

Wonderful news!!! I am so glad tohear that Tesoro is still in remission!! I wish him a long happy life!

Terrific news, Anna Lisa!
    Here it is to many more years of good health for your beautiful Tresoro
    Do you know, my Golden girl also has an Italian name: "Carina," little darling. That was the first name that came to my mind when I first saw her at the age of 6 months.
    Please stay in touch and let us know how things are going.
    Alicia

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Alicia,

Carina is just as beautiful as her name is. I love her photo!

I just love how people on DOTD forum have these signatures with their dog's photo underneath. I haven't figured out how to get a photo of my dog in my signature but hope to try to figure that out when things are less hectic here.

Right now I just want to spend most of my free time playing with Tesoro and spending happy time with him.

Best regards,
    Anna Lisa

Woo hoo! Hearing this great news has made my day, month, maybe year!!! I'm so happy for you and Tesoro, Anna Lisa! I can only imagine how light your heart must be! Please give your sweet Tesoro a big hug and kiss from me and please, do stay in touch and keep us updated...maybe some pictures of you both; we'll help you Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers{{{HUGS}}} Sandra, Cody and Star!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

It is so great to hear this good news on Tesoro. Please do
    stay in touch here. Now you can tell us all the GOOD news of
    life with your beautiful boy. Enjoy every day.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Great News!

I'm so happy for you and Tesoro. Hopefully, you won't have to face any decisions for many years to come.
    honor

Greta & Cassius

lymphoma and when to let go

Amazingly enough the Lymphoma will make the decison for you. The median time of survival for Lymphoma in puppies is 7.5 months. The general rule is that each remission will be 1/2 the time of the previous remission. Depending on the protocol or drugs used often determines the initial remission.

As time goes on you will run into the phenomena called multiple drug resistance or MDR. This will necessitate switching to a rescue protocol. These typically involve drugs that can severely depress the bone marrow, leaving the dog open to a secondary infection.

My Daisy dog was diagnosed with Lymphoma on 03-Jun-2002, and after a year of Chemo including a 7.5 month first remission she died on 05-Jun-2003. She was playing in the yard at 2PM, and then could hardly stand up at 4PM. With no effective Chemo treatments left, and the infection still raging 24 hrs later it was an easy decision. Easy but heart renching. It is frequently the case that a Lymphoma dog given Chemo will crash hard and quick. So there are no long periods of suffering.

My advise to you is to continue pursuing Chemo insisting that supportive drugs such as Metoclopromide (or Zofran for severe nausea) be given, and to be aware of any signs of secondary infection. In the meantime continue to give your dog as normal of a life as possible engaging in the same activities as before it became ill. Cherish the time.

How are you doing Tesoro? Have yourmom checkin when she can Hoping for another encouraging update