Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice...

Need Advice...

Ok guys I'm thinking way to much and I'm probably going to get myself into trouble. I'm thinking about adopting or fostering the blind kitty (Ocular,I hate that name! ) I'm only thinking about it and I haven't even discussed it with the director yet or my poor hubby! He is not comfortable outside of his cage so I would need a large cage or kennel to keep him in. I don't think I can afford that but I would have to see. BUT since he would be spending most of his time in a cage I wouldn't have to worry to much about how my cats react. He would only be out when I was there and monitoring.
    I have NO experience with a blind cat. I know I have heard they do really well once they adjust to their surroundings. This is only in the considering stage but I want advice from the pro's! I don't want to get into something more than I'm able to handle. I'm gone so much of the day and would only be there for him in the evenings and weekends. It's more than he gets now I'm sure but I hate the thought of him being lonely.
    I know you all will immediatley say "Go For It" but think about what you would do if it was you.
    Hubby will probably veto this immediatley but we have ways around that!!

I adopted a Blind cat , Ebony who had be blinded , in a Lab , and was brought here , by Animal Rescue , about 8 years ago. He stayed in the Spre Bedroom , and was able to manuever ver well , and only had accidents when the litter was on the floor. He spent a lot of his time , in the Closet , and in the three years that he was here , I saw him , maybe a dozen times.He was so afraid , but Mr. Fluffy , Mr Scrappy , and the other Cats realized his handicap , and actually guided him to his food bowl , and Smokey , 22 , brought him human food , carrying it in his mouth.He contrcated a Skin Disesase , from somethomg theyu did to the Poor Cat , at the Lab , and they had to put him to sleep. And not a day goes by ,that I dont think of Old Smokey , carrying a Pork chop , that he wanted , to his Blind Pal.If you can help that Poor Blind Cat , you will be rewarded ,beyond you wildest Dreams.Bless You, and please keep us informed! They shared the Pork Chop!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Hey Lisa, "Ocular" has been on my mind today and I have been thinking what might be good for him - your idea fits with what I am thinking Not for you to keep him permanently - but to keep him as something of a foster for an elderly person being cared for by a caretaker!!! Wouldn't that be an ideal situation for him? To live in one or two rooms with an elderly person?? The caretaker of course would have to feed and clean up after him, but what a blessing he would be for the elderly!!! His time with you (or whomever) would see if he would be suitable and gentle, happy to be fairly confined, etc. Just something I have been thinking about today!! Could you bear to keep him, knowing you might have to give him up???

I am probably just dreaming here because it would mean additional work for the caretaker...they would have to love cats ...but if they realized the enormous benefits this could be to the elderly or infirm......or even a blind person!!
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 04-06-2004 at 09:19 AM.

I don't have any advice but ... i saw his story and picture in your other post and would love to see Ocular have a wonderful furrever home. I don't personally know the challenges of owning a blind cat but i think sirrahbed had a nice idea for him to live with an elderly person...

keep us updated... i would loove to hear that you can take him.
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I'm one that is going to say if you can work around hubby's veto - go for it! I was actually already scheming on how to get around Terry's veto - which isn't likely - but like you, I hate the thought of him being alone in that cage all day. I have no experience with blind kitties so I can't help you there, but from what Catmandu says, and from what I've read here about other blind kitties, the others will help him. Probably one will take over as his caretaker like with rkidsrcats Pippin (I think it is). She would actually be the one to ask advice from because she has a blind kitty and others who are "sight challenged."

I would be so grateful if you did take him because then I could stop worrying about him.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

You guys are so sweet! See you just see his picture and you go crazy like me!
    Catmandu-That porkchop story made me cry! I can't imagine any of my brats being that kind but I guess you never know! There could be some magic in the making but that would remain to be seen!
    Sirrahbed-I love your idea but you know me well enough to know that if he comes home with me then that is where he will stay! I would only do the foster thing for his vet care but if someone wanted to adopt him I wouldn't take him back. I would adopt him forever. I don't think anyone would even know about him because I'm not putting him online!
    Of course, I say all this without fully checking into any of the details and also assuming that my brats don't totally freak out and try to hurt him through the cage. I really don't see that happening but you never know. Not to mention the fact that hubby hasn't heard a word about any of this!
    I'm going to do some more investigating to be sure that the director doesn't already have some wonderful plan for this wonderful guy and start bribing the hubby! You never know he might be all for it (NOT!)
    I will keep you all posted!

I can't think of a better home for Ocular, but I can't offer any advice about a blind cat. I suppose as you say, if you weigh up the attention he gets at the shelter, he would get more attention at your house, so the obvious conclusion would be that it is a good idea.

If you do decide to go for it, know that you have all our thoughts and prayers supporting you.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Of course I say go for it if everything looks good once you've checked into the details.

Since I know I can't do anything like that because of my husband's vetoes then I'll have to live vicariously through others.

From Decker with Love

Near Seattle in the beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Hi CCL - we got your PM and are ready to help!
    Without knowing Ockey's temperment or disposition, I will say off the bat that if he is normally a calm, friendly cat, he will not stay confined to a cage or a few rooms for long. He will use the cage as a safe place when scared, but he will explore. Obviously, your idea of keeping him confined to one area of the house is good at first, but don't be surprised when you find him wanting to explore more. We just allowed Pips to take it at his own pace, and at that time, we were both gone most of the day.

But they figure things out fast! For example, when I brought Pips home, I immediately got the flu and Jim had to take over the intro duties with a blind 5 month old kitten. He didn't know any better and just took the kid everywhere in the house and let him sniff around. Combined with TigerTiger being big brother, Pippin was tooling around the upstairs within a week! My point is not to assume that Ockey will only want to stay in his cage. When he becomes comfortable, he will want to be with you or the other cats that seem friendly. Hopefully, some of your tribe will be interested in making friends, but they will be wary of him at first, having never seen a cat that bumps into things.

He will memorize the house layout very quickly - via rugs on the floor, changes in flooring texture, corners of rooms and hallways, how sound bounces off the walls, what sounds come from what areas of the house (Pips can hear the fridge door a mile away!). I'm convinced that cats rely much more on their whiskers and ears than their eyes when sensing things and I have read that they don't see well close up anyway. That said, try to keep things consistent for him at first - no major renovations or furniture moving! Cat boxes in the same place always. And we put a rug in front of the catbox so Pips knew he was getting close!

And this goes without saying, I'm sure (although I goofed a couple of times at the toy store...) buy toys that rattle, squeak or otherwise make a little noise. Ockey can't see what he can't hear!
    Pips just got himself a track ball toy and loves the sound of the ball going round and round - very intriguing at 3 AM.

Couple of other tricks...we built a little ramp to attach to the cat tree for getting up an down without crashing. And, we stacked storage bins with soft blankets around the beds so he could get up and down via the stair step method. Eventually though, Pips learned how far the jump from the bed to the floor was and didn't need this "baby stuff" anymore! Basically though, whatever they can jump up to...give them a way to get down safely by not jumping.

And finally, when blind cats get scared, they get low and backup usually against a wall, corner or piece of furniture. They backup, because they want to keep their hearing oriented in front of them, so if he does get scared, stop your movement, let him get himself oriented first before you start walking toward him to pick him up, otherwise he will panic. Pips rarely gets freaked, but when he does, I kneel down to talk to him, so I don't seem so big. Remember they are going to judge size by where the sound comes from...

Hey, if you take this guy home, you are going to figure things out, I'm sure, but the most important thing is that they just want to be loved. They adapt to the physical stuff very well once they know they are loved and wanted in this world!

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask Pippin, William and TigerTiger for any other tips!
    Tiger, Percy, Antoinette, Scooter,Norbert,Willy, Pippin
    www.tribeof7.com

Wow! I knew you would be a fountain of info! My plan was to keep him kenneled during the day and very slowly let him out and about only when we were home. I guess I thought he would always stay in the kennel but I may be very wrong! I have no rooms that I can block off strictly for him. I have a very old house and one room leads off of others so we and the other cats need access with no doors closed. I could use a small gate I suppose and the others could jump over it. That would keep him confined to a few small rooms until he was ready to move on. He would have to be kenneled for some time in the beginning to get everyone used to each other and then I guess it would be just one step at a time after that. HMMMM, lots to think about!
    Thank you so very much for all the tips and advice. I'm going to have to really start checking into this.
    Got to get by hubby first!! Wish me luck!!!

btw-He is extremely gentle, kind and very very loving! He follows your voice and lays his head up to the cage to be petted. I picked him up for the first time and he held on really tight but enjoyed being held. I understood his fear of being dropped so I made sure I held him securely. He is a true sweetheart but I don't know how he will do with other cats. He is alone in a cage so I don't know how that would go but his personality shows no signs of aggression. I'm guessing that it would be like introducing any other cat...hold your breath and pray for the best!

I must have missed Ocular's story, but it's wonderful of you to think about adopting him.

I don't have experiences with blind cats, but you've already got great info here, and I also have heard that they can live a good life as indoor cats once they have adjusted to their home.

However, if he comes to your place, I know he will be a very lucky kitty!

Kirsten

If I was a cat, I would like to be YOUR cat! What a great meowmie you are!! I suspect Ocular will soon be at home. But he MUST have a new name!!! You know me and my poet names - but how about Homer or Milton?? Homer was the greek who wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey and Milton is John Milton, the 17th century author and poet (Paradise Lost, etc) ...guess I am getting ahead, eh?

edit: PS Both were blind, BTW
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 04-06-2004 at 01:10 PM.

Yes, Sirrahbed you are getting way ahead but thats ok! I totally agree that if he comes to my house we will have to come up with a new name because I refuse to live with a cat named Ocular!!!

If this pans out then I may, I repeat may let hubby come up with a name to make him feel a part of this after we have our initial battle! If he has no ideas then we will post a name contest and see what you all can come up with!
    By the way I love the name Milton. Homer? I'm not so sure about!

I like the name.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

PS Homer and Milton were blind poets BTW - that is why I picked those names