Thread: I have a few questions for you bird owners...

I have a few questions for you bird owners...

I put it here because I need some responses quick and I'm afraid not enough people will see it in Pet General. Move it if needed.

For you bird owners,

• What people foods can Charlie eat? She would love to have some french fry, or some mashed potatoes (unbuttered), but can I give them to her? Do you allow your birds to eat a little people food?

I heard that I am not supposed to give her citrus, high in salt or high in sugar items. Is that correct?

• Is it common for her to consume a whole stalk of millet with a few hours? She LOVES millet, and almost doesn't stop eating it until its gone!

• She seems to be losing tail feathers easily. Is that common in young birds? Will they grow back?

I may have more questions later, but thanks in advance.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Re: I have a few questions for you bird owners...

Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
    I put it here because I need some responses quick and I'm afraid not enough people will see it in Pet General. Move it if needed.

For you bird owners,

• What people foods can Charlie eat? She would love to have some french fry, or some mashed potatoes (unbuttered), but can I give them to her? Do you allow your birds to eat a little people food?

I heard that I am not supposed to give her citrus, high in salt or high in sugar items. Is that correct?

• Is it common for her to consume a whole stalk of millet with a few hours? She LOVES millet, and almost doesn't stop eating it until its gone!

• She seems to be losing tail feathers easily. Is that common in young birds? Will they grow back?

I may have more questions later, but thanks in advance.
    Popcorn and Muffin do eat quite a bit of peope food. They eat corn flakes, cheerios, and total cereal. They eat popcorn (without butter and salt), and they eat whole wheat bread, broccoli, corn, peas, carrots, etc. I wouldn't give them french fries..........too oily, and I'm not sure about mashed potatoes. You shouldn't give birds foods high in salt or suger. One or two bites on occasion *might* be ok, but they shouldn't be given salty/sugary foods much at all. I've always thought citrus fruits were ok, but I may be wrong. My birds don't like fruits to begin with. I know some fruit seeds can be poisonous.

Popcorn and Muffin consume a whole millet treat stick within an hour or so. They LOVE it and won't stop eating it until there's no more left!

Young birds do seem to be clumsy and lose their tail feathers often. She'll grow out of it.

And now, I'll ask MY question. When do we get to see more pics of Charlie?

What people foods can Charlie eat?
    Pretty much any fruits and vegetables preferably uncooked. Corn, broccoli, apples, celery leafs are my cockatiels favorites.
    Do you allow your birds to eat a little people food?
    I don't give them salt, sugar (other than whats naturally in fruit), also no grease, dairy, or meat.
    Is it common for her to consume a whole stalk of millet with a few hours? She LOVES millet, and almost doesn't stop eating it until its gone!
    Actually that's good for her, millet is low in fat, and it's espacially good because it keeps her occupied.
    She seems to be losing tail feathers easily. Is that common in young birds? Will they grow back?
    Yes they will grow back. It might be her cage causing her tail feathers to break. If her cage bars are vertical they could be breaking the feathers, horizontal bars would be better. That would only be the case if her cage was on the small side.

Re: I have a few questions for you bird owners...

What people foods can Charlie eat? She would love to have some french fry, or some mashed potatoes (unbuttered), but can I give them to her? Do you allow your birds to eat a little people food?

Piper LOVES Saltine Crackers. He doesn't get them very often; but he loves them. He'll eat corn, *sometimes* lettuce, and a few others. He doesn't like fruit, and I've heard some of it can be bad for them, like Pops said.

Is it common for her to consume a whole stalk of millet with a few hours? She LOVES millet, and almost doesn't stop eating it until its gone!

Piper consumes maybe two millet sticks a week. He gobbles (no pun intended ) one up in about an hour.

She seems to be losing tail feathers easily. Is that common in young birds? Will they grow back?

Yep! It's all normal. Piper *still* likes to wreck his tail, but he's still a baby. They all grow out of, eventually. They're just clumsy.

Yes, we do need more Charlie pictures!