Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German Shepherd Dog

German Shepherd Dog

I think the opportunity to adopt a dog had come. There is a man in my neigbourhood that i always greeted because of his dog, a beautiful GSD, and yesterday i asked if the dog had been in a coiffeur, because looked so good, and se said the dog was not his own, it was left by his neigbour who moved and left the dog behind. And he was feeding and takiing care of him out of pity and is willing to give him away! I was schocked bc i knew the former owner from seeing around the block. The former owner didn't leave even the dog's bed!!!

This man doesn't even know the dog's age! I think he is 5y or more, male. I think he is neutered, i'll check today.
    I said i am looking for a dog myself, and i would take him; he agreed. The dog is still with him, he complained about the money he has to spend with the dog's food, etc... I am willing to help paying part of the food.I always noticed that he is very "hard" to the dog when giving comandos and a few times i saw he was very bad mannered to the dog without it doing anything wrong. The dog knows basic comandos: sit, stay, come, wait, lay down,etc.

I always was "in love" with the dog, and now i do not think about anything else but to take this chance.

I live in apartment in downtown (the former and actual owners too), and green parks, rivers and even a mountain are very close to go walking from here... and only one block from me a dog (leash free) park.
    I work at home, i go out only to fitness center, supermarket, etc, when i am not in home i am in the neigbourhood. A dog would be with me most of my time. I love long walks (60 to 90 min) and jogg.
    I also think about the possibility the former owner would want him back, but this man said it will not happen, bc the abbandoner really doesn't want the dog anymore.
    Of course if i take any dog, a vet visit and dog school (obedience) is a condition "sine qua non" to take this responsibility.

i like and trust very much your opinions when i read this forum, but now i need it myself.

Thank you very much.
    Rosana
    "Canis Amicus"

Go for it! Based on what you have described and the preplanning you have done, it sounds like you would provide a much better home for this dog (stability, food, shelter, exercise, training, vet care, love, attention, and more love). Also, it sounds like you would be commited to giving the dog his "forever" home. Good luck!
    Oreo and Molly

Go For It!!
    He needs a better owner, and you sure sound like your ready for a GSD!! Your already set to give him plenty of activities and things to do!!

So... so for it and best of luck to you and your new friend!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Sounds perfect!!! You will be a wonderful dog guardian!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Sounds wonderful! It sounds like the dog would have a good home with you! German Shepherds are such great dogs. Good luck!

You already know the answer...I think you just want everyone to give you confirmation :-) It sounds like this dog will be perfect for you, and you for the dog. Good luck!
    honor

Greta & Cassius

oh, and we'll need to see pictures as soon as possible :-)
    honor

Greta & Cassius

Poor dog. I don't see how people can be so cruel. I say you should take him, too. He'd be so happy to actually have someone that truly cared for him. And as mentioned about Pandy in another post: if the previous owner said they wanted the dog back, you and the other man could charge them for food, vet etc. I'm sure the person would change their mind about wanting the dog. Good luck.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

i say do it! i lived in an apartment with alex the wonder dog for 4 years ( he is smaller then a GSD tho, @ 40#). we did almost daily one hour walks and did park walks on the weekend. i had a ground floor apartment, had a tie out on a post so he could do night business easily and i'd pick that up almost every am. the apartment manager told me once that she appreciated how clean i kept my area. alex isn't much of a barker, which can be a problem in some dogs, and i'm sure the sight of a GSD looking from a window at a 'bad human' would deter most of them. hope this helps, joyce
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

OMG, thank you all for the responses! Since two years i am waiting for the perfect timing.
    I will keep you all informed and if everything ends ok, you will have pics.
    Thank you very much and

MERRY EASTER

Rosana
    "Canis Amicus"

I brought him home yesterday evening and changed his name toRex (to know why, please see General "Would dogs be comfortable with names that for humans sound mean? thread from April,12. Sorry i do not know how to put the link here).

He didn't have anything: bed, blankets, towells, chew or squeak toys, only his leash. His eyes are so sad, that breaks my heart.
    He has been very quiet. Neighbours said both former owners (both men, macho type), let him without food, physical activities, everything.

He pulls the leash a lot, but never barks or runs after people, cars, bykes, children, birds, joggers, etc. But he looses control when se sees (or smells, even at distance) another dog. He starts to bark and growls and jumps and pulls toward the other dogs. There are no commands that help. The only thing that helps a little is when i press his muzzle with my hand.
    He gets better only when the other dogs are out of his site, the ones wich do not care about him. The other ones, will also bark and growl in response.

He does it to any dog, big or small, young/old, male/female.
    At the end of "his scene" he howls, grins, whins and "pouts". After few minutes he is at his normal mood, till the next dog/dogs. Any help?

Because of this, I cannot take him with me anywhere, only to his walks. I already bought a Muzzle, wich he removes, and i thing i should try the Halti... But, at home he is a sweet lord.

He doesn't wanna eat, if he does, only a little bit. Many treats and toys were left ignored.

And he loves to be groomed and massages. And when i do at his chest and belly, it seens he goes into a kind of trance and even "purrs" with a smile.

As soon as i have pictures, i will post.

Thank you all very much.

Rosana
    and
    Rex, GSD, 3y

Rosana,

Rex is a beautiful name for your new German Shepherd.

On, Rex's behavior, is there a way where you can copy your most recent posting about Rex's behavior and post it on the "Dog Behavior" Section of Dog of the day website? I think if you do that, more people will see your question about how to handle his reactive behavior towards other dogs and you'll get more answers/help that way. Maybe "need help-dog aggression" or something like that in the behavior section will get you more answers and some help on your question?

I have a hunch that Rex's macho 1st owner may not have done much (if any) training or socialization with Rex. Because if a pup starts growling and barking and over-reacting to another dog's presence, a responsible owner will take charge of that situation to teach the puppy that going into a sit and quiet command will get the dog a treat. And the owner would deliberately take the puppy into situations with other dogs (on leash and under control) to desensitize the pup to the presence of other dogs to teach the dog how to be a polite member of society.

Seeing that this 1st owner abandoned Rex and obviously never gave him toys (since Rex seems ignorant as to what to do with a toy), I highly doubt the owner taught him as a pup not to do this. Since no one ever taught Rex to not do this, he thinks his behavior is just fine and will keep at it unless he is taught otherwise.

I don't know if this kind of thing happens in Switzerland, but here in New York, there are many cases where people (usually 'macho' guys) who deliberately go out and adopt big powerful guarding type dogs (sheps/rotties/pitbulls) and then these guys actually encourage and intentionally reinforce aggressive behavior in their pet dog because they like it that their 'big bad dog is tougher and meaner" than the other guy's dog. It is like an ego thing and unfortunately, it teaches the dog that being aggressive and assertive is ok and acceptable to the owner. Rex will need to be taught by you another way of being when he is around other dogs.

This subject you have brought up is huge with lots of possible ways to start tackling this, and there are so many things that would need to be done to get Rex on the right track that I think that if you do some reading on this and get some tips, you can train Rex out of this behavior eventually.

Do you have access to books on dog training at a library near you? Are there dog training classes or professional obedience trainers near you that can help you?

Because Rex is a few years old, it is going take more effort to teach him "right" behavior than it is to teach an 8 week old pup. Is there a way you could hire a professional trainer to help you train Rex to change his ways? If there are trainers near you, that is the fastest way to get these issues you've raised corrected so that you will be able to take Rex anywhere because a trained and obedient dog is a joy to be around. A trainer is a great way to make this process the most fast, effective, and productive.

If there aren't any trainers near you, then I'll bet there are lots of articles on this type of thing on the web and in training books that you could get at the library. You could search "dog aggression" on the web and see if that helps. And books on correcting unwanted dog behavior will help because they give you specific tips to change what Rex is doing.

I understand your impulse to not take Rex places because what if he sees another dog and acts up? I think that if a trainer helped you with lessons to desensitize Rex to the presence of other dogs,that you would then be confident to take him places if he behaves politely. Unfortunately, if you don't train him to get him to that point (of being a polite member of society), it will be an awful nuisance going for walks or going to the veterinarian because any time he encounters another dog, he is going to go into this obnoxious barking and posturing behavior. A really good thing about Shepherds is they are so smart and their intelligence means that they are trainable and can learn things. So it isn't hopeless or anything.

Also, I think you'll need to be a definite Alpha to Rex in your household or else he might "take over". I think obedience training will help tremendously.

What does Rex know yet? How dominant is Rex with other people? Is he challenging you to be alpha in your own house? Does he know sit, down stay or any obedience commands? Does he jump on people when they come in the house? Does he listen when/if you give a command? I'm just trying to get an idea of what level he is at with respect to what he has knowlege of training wise.

Best regards,
    Anna Lisa

OH I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU GOT TO BRING HIM HOME AND I LIKE THE NAME REX I REALLY HAVE NO ADVICE FOR YOU O YOUR QUESTION BECAUSE I LOVE OOUT IN THE COUNTRY AND I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM .. .. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE PICS AND AGIAN CONGRATS ON REX
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

countrycowgirl: thank you very much!

Anna Lisa: First of all thank you very much for taking your time to post about Rex difficulties. BTW how is Tesoro? Thousand kisses for him and his brothers!

Rex is a LORD, he knows com sit (which times he thinks is laydown), wait (but with a little bit of hurry), and dead (he can stay dead very long).

He is much better with the leash now, today, midmorning, he walked with a squeack toy that he loves in his mouth, and when he began to growl to others dog i said "quiet" "amigo" (amigo is the word i use to introduce visitors, when he sniffs at heir hands i say f.ex. "John amigo" and is ok with him), he didn't drop his toy to bark, an followed me the direction i took without pulling the leash. He seemed very happy. That happened 3 times midday.

Rex ist a sweet baby indoors! He is gentle, quiet, loves to be groomed, loves our early morning walkings from 6 to 8 a.m. (i am an early bird myself); he never tried to sit on the couch or at my bed, never growled/barked to me. He ist enjoying learning with the toys. During our walkings he catches huge stocks for me, and carries it very proud with his mouth and wants to take them home!

Rex never barks/growl/runs/jumps after people, bykes, joggers, cars, birds (sometimes only big ones), children, carriages, etc. His issue is only with dogs, which i bring him to control pressing his muzzle, saying "quiet, amigo" and being stronger tham him (i am 80kg+) to pull him back to me. Whem he calms down i say "good boy", words i use for the right things and T-Touch. Till now he never did any hygienical "art" indoors.

At our midafternoon walk, i took that toy at a bag (he wanted it all the time), and when he began to growl to a dog, at a distance, i squeeze the toy, got his attention back to me, when he walks nicely i said: good boy.

Only the first walking is that long, the other ones are shorter.

Yesterday was the first time he gave me a smile: i bought him a huge bovine leg bone, cooked for 1 hour, and gave him (when cold). I think he never had a bone in his life. He chewed it for one and a halph hour straight, pause only to give a happy smile, from ear to ear. I think he was feeling great!

He has testicles (the man said he is neutered), i think it adds to his problems with other dogs.
    Monday i will make an appointment with a vet.
    The last owner said Rex never had sexual encounter with bitches for the last three years!!! and that the dog (excuse me the expression, but i have no other word) "masturbate" , so the dog does not need a bitch!

Yes, there are here in Zürich dog school, breed clubs which offer classes, etc. I am thinking about the Shepherd Dog Association, which is not so far walway from where i live.
    I agree obedience classes is a high priority! With me he will have it! And if he does good, we will follow BH (Begleithund/Companion Dog).

To my dismay, yesterday, when i met the last owner (Rex is still registered at the comune office, under his first owner - the abbandoner), to pay and have him to sign a receipt (which he did). He denied he was giving Rex alway. Since the begining i insisted to transfer the dog to my name (this is mandatory in Switzerland, because of taxes, dog insurance, health control, etc), and it was ok.

He wants me to only take care of Rex, and give the dog him whenever he wants. I never offered him Dog Sitting services, that is also clear at the threads is posted about him. When i asked, he never knew the telephone number from owner nr. 1. Neigbors are saying owner nr. 1 really doesn't want the dog, and now knows that "his" dog is with me and that i am taking good care of Rex (he was from our neigborhood,he doesn't know me, i saw him many times, but never talked to him. And nobody has his telephone.

"Mr Last Owner" is from the drugs scene (i do not use drugs, of any kind, there is why i would only greet him because of the dog), and is said that these people, not only consume the stuff, they give also for their dogs. Wait, the worse is still to come: to hide the stuff from the police, is also said, that they insert it in the animals's rectum. Many dogs die when the package melts inside the poor animals. Them, they get another dog. That is what people say that occurs at Zurich's drugs scene!!! Dealers do the same, so is said.

I do not belong to that "scene", our neigborhood is very mixed, there are also normal people. Zurich is a very small town and only the "big money" can choose where to live or work.

Today i was told, that "Mr Last Owner" did a scandal last night, after i showed him, the dog very briefely, yeling that he wants "his" dog back because he used to give Rex drugs, when he takes it, and so on... That he gave the dog only to take care of him, not to be the dog's owner.

Now my head is in a turmoil. I do not know what to do if he comes to my place, demanding Rex back.

Anyway, i have his receipt (wich he refused to have a copy), and the witness that signed it too. I am booking all expenses i am having with Rex too.

Well, now i do not know what to do.

Rex is registered under the number:

2002-00227-Kanton Zürich.

I already love Rex very much and am praying for him, that is all i can do now.

Thank you very much.

Rosana Roth
    Rex, GSD 3y