Thread: Visited a shelter today - Pics included :)

Visited a shelter today - Pics included :)

I took about 20 blankets I made to a neighboring county's shelter today. I talked with them about volunteering but I don't know if I could handle it there. They are a very small facility and they're not a no-kill shelter. Anyway, something to think about.

They were cleaning the main cat room but there were a few cats in another room that I got to play with. Here are some pics.

This is a friendly female meezer mix.

This is a gorgeous young male who was a real sweetheart.

Sorry this one is blurry. He was a shy sweet orangie.

I loved this one. Very friendly but his/her coat was in poor condition and his pads look a little raw. Looked like he'd been on the street awhile.

Same one being cute and rolling around.

This one broke my heart. He's very large and looks like a panther. He looks like he's had a very hard life. I heard a few people who came by comment that he was scary looking. He's got a rough exterior but a very soft heart. He didn't meow but beeped. I just wanted to hug him and bring him home.

Hope you don't mind me sharing.

From Decker with Love

All a bunch of sweethearts. Don't you wish you could just save and help all of them? I sure hope they get a good home that they so deserve.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

They're all beautiful. I always really want to save them all...I hope they all find good homes soon.
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    What a sweet bunch!I'd fall for the one that beeps too! He looks like a lovely black panther. Shelters can be good and this one looks clean by the pictures! I always say..it beats the streets!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

What a sweet bunch. Maybe that shelter can hook up with non-kill shelter.
    I just cant see how people can take their animals to a shelter that has a "time limit". These animals didn't ask to be there.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Ooopps..I thought it was a no-kill shelter! I'd have a hard time being there then unless I was doing transporting to other shelters that have space. Different story then. Poor cats with a time limit hanging over them, and kitten season upon us all.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
    Ooopps..I thought it was a no-kill shelter! I'd have a hard time being there then unless I was doing transporting to other shelters that have space. Different story then. Poor cats with a time limit hanging over them, and kitten season upon us all.
    Actually when I was talking to them about volunteering I told them I would want to do things to help get the animals into rescues and no-kill shelters. They told me they do work closely with rescue groups but mainly for dogs. They also told me that they really don't take in a lot of cats, mostly dogs, so it's not often that they've had to put a cat down due to lack of space but it doesn happen and usually in the spring. Apparently for dogs it's a different story though. I couldn't handle that. For a shelter though, it was extremely clean and the people there seemed to really care.

From Decker with Love

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    OMG! I'm in love with the "beeper." I hope they all get moved to a no kill shelter and/or get into terrific furrever homes! Mr. Beepie has stolen my heart - shhh .... don't tell Mishi!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Aw they are all so gorgeous, and they really deserve forever homes! It must have brightened up their day getting some attention from you!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

What wonderful babies!!! They are all gorgeous and seem so sweet. It is heartbreaking to see them caged but as they like to remind me at the shelter...it beats the alternative!
    I can only tell you from my personal experience that it is overwhelming enough at times but I would have to be put into a mental hospital if I volunteered at a kill shelter. I know that is something that I could not handle. You can't help but to fall in love with the critters and I find I really miss some of them when they are adopted. If I had some fun and loving moments with an animal and came back in a few days and it was dead because of a space issue or it had been there to long, I would freak out! You know this stuff happens but I couldn't deal with it once I knew the animal.
    On a better note-you might be able to make a difference and help stop some of the killing! Fresh minds with fresh ideas can make a difference! One person can make a difference and if you managed to save only a few of the many that is a few that would have died otherwise. I think it would take a very special person to work in a kill shelter and that would need to be a very personal decision.
    Let us know what you decide and you know we are all here for you!!

When I seeall those great Cats , all wanting a good home , I cant help but feel that these people , who dump Cats And Dogs , should be put in a cage , for a day , to see how it feels! Found Cats are praying for thier Unlucky Friends!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS