Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Feral Cat

Our Feral Cat

We have been caring for a feral cat (Topaz) for several years. We captured, neutered, and released him, he stuck around (unlike some of our previous "victims"). He has grown from a scrawny waif to a fat cat over the years and lives on our deck. We built him a shelter under our deck furniture and he seems quite complacent. Our problem is that we will soon be moving to NC to build our retirement home. The problem is what to do with Mr. Topaz? The trip is 12 hours by car. My wife has made many inroads with Topaz, he can (sometimes) be petted, but this took years to achieve. I can't see a viable scenario where Topaz makes the transition with us. Any Ideas?

Any neighbors you know who might "take him over?" Or any chance of sedating him for the move? How old is he?

I don't see this cat surviving very well without your care.

If he's been with you all this time, I'd trap him a take him
    with you to the new place, with plans to bring him inside
    eventually. If Topaz is an older cat, he should probably be
    seen by a Vet anyway. Good luck to you & to Topaz.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think Lizbud is right. You might want to trap him, have him sedated, cover the carrier for the long ride and then keep him inside for a while till he gets acclamated. You never know, he may LIKE being inside once he's been there for a while. Keep him in a separate room with all the comforts of home. If it doesn't seem likely, maybe someone in your area will be willing to keep him fed and happy where he is now.

Please keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Oh please take Topaz with you, it may be somewhat difficult, but what will become of him, if you don't, you have been offered some good advice from those who know, so hopefully these will work and Topaz will be making the trip as well., heres hoping.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Thanks for the thoughts

We have already tried to turn him into an indoor cat when we first captured him. He was miserable indoors and wouldn't come out of hiding when anyone was in the room. In the end we let him "escape". I thought we would never see him again, but a couple of days later, there he was on the deck sniffing at his bowl. He's been to the vet, got all his shots, and a clean bill of health. We don't know how old he is. I would hate to transport a stray cat from NJ to NC and then lose him anyway. Our other cat just turned 19. There is a picture of the two of them on shutterfly. To see it follow the link "my favorite Pictures" on my home page at williamvoss.com.

Re: Thanks for the thoughts

Originally posted by ubiquitous
    I would hate to transport a stray cat from NJ to NC and then lose him anyway.
    I bet he'd be more likely to stick around in the new place, at least for a while. If he's got a clean bill of health, I'd say, trap, sedate and bring with!

Ubiquitous...Do you actually want to take him with you ?

I ask as your responses are negative, to advice posted ?

Basically you known your options :-

:Take him with you and keep him confined to a bedroom or shed for several weeks before releasing him back to the garden.

:Find a local neighbour to take over the feeding/caring of this feral cat.

:Put Him To Sleep. If you can't find him a new home and you don't want him anymore, it is not fair to let him suffer if he needs the food you currently supply.

As you sounds like a caring person, I hope you won't resort to option 3, that leaves two options keep him or rehome him.

Good Luck on making a decision.

Moi Negative???

Sorry PIF, but I said nothing negative, I appreciated the comments. For several reasons I would like to find an alternative to moving Topaz. First, he fills a niche here. He occupies territory that would be occupied by another (un-neutered) feral cat. He prevents what we all would like to prevent, more feral cats. Also my feral cat is also my new neighbor's feral cat (with all that implies). Option 3 is not an option, I can't see killing a cat because he is an inconvenience, besides I'm very fond of him. However placing him in a feral colony is an option locally. I also considered a no-kill shelter, but this could doom him to life in a cage. It would be great if the new owners of my house were willing to take him in. Well, here is the picture I call "Princess and the Pauper". The cat sitting out in the snow, staring in, is Topaz, the cat luxuriating in the sunbeam is Sparky.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Topaz & Sparky photo is just beautiful.

I wonder....what about making Topaz an inside outside cat ?

I don't understand your niche comments. If you move him, he'll find a niche at his new home. No problem.

I wouldn't place him with another feral colony. They might drive him away, injury him or even kill him (if the colony contains unneutered males)

I would talk to a feline behaviourist and to the feeders of the feral colony very very carefully before trying that.

I would not consider taking a feral cat to a shelter, a lifetime in a cage is too cruel an option for a true feral.

If your neighbour wants to keep the feral cat and feed and care for him, fine. Do they want the responsiblity ?

I think the best option for the Topaz, is for you to take him to your new home and make him an inside /outside cat.
    Last edited by PayItForward; 04-04-2004 at 04:34 PM.

ubiquitous,

Sparky is a pretty cat. She looks a lot like my feral cat Momma.
    Pretty coloring. I visited your website & enjoyed it very much.
    Your photography is amazing. Great nature shots.

I wanted to ask about the cat in another picture on the site.
    I think it's name was Tiger? It's the cat on top of the kitchen
    cabinets. Is that one yours as well?

Also wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your "profile" or
    "lifestage" page too. Your story of learning to ride a bike did
    remind me of my own childhood.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Topaz the Conundrum

PIF, I share the concern about placing him in a feral colony. The colony in question accepts only neutered cats. Still this does not seem like the answer. I clearly stated that I would not consider placing him in a shelter where he would be confined (possibly for life). There is another issue that those of us with outdoor (or indoor/outdoor) cats prefer to overlook. Outdoor cats tend to “take care of business” in the neighbor’s yards and gardens. I don’t expect any new or startling solution to my dilemma. Perhaps just some sympathy.

Lizbud, Tiger is a wonderful cat. He “belongs” to my wife’s mother. He is a powerful cat. He leaps to the top of that cabinet from the floor. He’s a sweetheart and given that he’s young and mom is in her mid-80’s means I may end up “inheriting” him. I’ve known him since he was a kitten and I love him. We could not possibly take him before Sparky passes on. Sparky cannot tolerate other cats and I would be reluctant to introduce this kind of conflict into her last days. I’m glad you enjoyed my profile and my photography. Peace…

I Think you know in your heart what is the right thing to do, and have probably already made your mind up , I just hope it all works out for you and Topaz continues to be loved and cared for. cheers.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Welcome to Pet Talk!

Thanks for including pictures of Topaz and Sparky...they sure are cute.

I like the idea of having the new homeowners "inheriting" Topaz. Hopefully they are as caring as you are.

I don't have any other ideas other than those offered here. Do you think Topaz would like living in the colony? How does he do around other cats?

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll be the best option for Topaz. It seems like you really care for him.

Take care,
    Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Re: Topaz the Conundrum

Originally posted by ubiquitous
    There is another issue that those of us with outdoor (or indoor/outdoor) cats prefer to overlook. Outdoor cats tend to “take care of business” in the neighbor’s yards and gardens. I don’t expect any new or startling solution to my dilemma. Perhaps just some sympathy.
    Two solutions to outside toileting.

Provide a litter tray for him, we have several for our cats inside.

For your case this could be in a shed, garage or out building

OR

Dig an outside toilet for him. Dig a hole in the ground, metre square and a couple metres deep filled with safe sand. He will use this area to toilet in. Just turn over with a spade frequently.