Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New dog..

New dog..

Hi! My family is thinking on getting a new dog, because... our dog we have right now is very aggressive, and he bites my brothers when he has food. We've tried to stop it, but nothing really works. So I think we're getting rid of him...

Anyway, my brother wants a pomeranian because his friend has one. I however, would like a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I want to know if these breeds, or any others, would be suitable for these qualifications:
    -Small/meduim size
    -Ideal for small house
    -Low/moderate energy leve
    -Low/regular maintainence
    -Friendly/non-aggressive

The youngest in the house is 8 years old, so there are usually small children around. The oldest is 18, so there are also usually older children around.
    Thanks in advance.

PUG.

They are great dogs. My pug is very friendly to children of ALL ages. My pug named Otis always hangs out with my three year old cousin. They get along great.

Although, before you decide on a dog breed, you NEED to do a lot of research. Pugs do have health problems, and they may cost a lot of money with thier veternarian bills.

Also, you may want to try looking at your local shelter to find a dog that would fit your lifestyle. You could visit the dog and get to know one that you like.

Good luck!

Thanks!

The few breeds I was thinking were: Pom, Corgi, Pug, Boston Terrier, and Chihuahua.

I think we're going to go to the shelter though, anyhow. The local shelter just burned down Almost 60 animals died... I think it was only 13 that lived. But the living ones were transported to the shelter only about an hour away.

What kind of dog do you have now? How old is it? How long have you had it? Have you tried obedience training, etc?

I agree, a visit to a shelter would be best, as there are probably plenty of mixed-breed dogs that fit that description.

Riley is a basenji, he's 2 years old, and we've had him since he was 3 months. There are no obedience classes near us, unless we want to drive 1-2 hours away. [Plus, my parents don't want to "waste" money on it]

If your parents are set on getting rid of him, contact Basenji rescue. http://basenji.org/rescue.htm has a list of people by state.

If there is still time, go to the library, get a book on dog training, and work with the dog you've got. He's young, and most likely just needs training. I am serious. Owning a Basenji is not for everyone, but they can be great dogs. The library is free, they can't object to that cost.

Every dog should get some type of training, there's no way around that.

Thanks. I'll see if the library has anything. But he's bitten my brothers numerous times, and he's tried to bite people just because they opened my door. Half of my family is afraid of him, including my Dad. :\

That's why you NEED to train him.
    You may need to buy a muzzle for him ( one that doesn't hurt or anything) at first. It sounds like he is out of control, through no fault of his own, he thinks he is the alpha dog - the boss of the family. You need to correct this, establish yourself as the "top dog." You need to probably keep him with you, on a leash. Train him with simple, basic commands. Does he have a crate or a special place he likes to be? The sonner he is trained, the happier he will be, honest!

It sounds like he thinks he's the alpha dog. I'd do everything I can before getting rid of him and bringing another dog in. I know we have a couple of trainers here, maybe they could help you if you post this problem in dog behavior.

One thing that could help is NILIF. NILIF stands for "Nothing in life is free". Basically, if your dog wants a meal, it must do something for you (ie: sit). If your dog wants a pat on the head, it must sit. Everything he wants, he has to earn. Start on basic obedience. Down could be a great tool for you. I had an extremely dominant Sheltie back in September. He nipped and growled at anyone who asked him to down. After NILIF and practicing obedience, he accepted the fact that he couldn't be alpha. Down is a submissive position because the dog is lowering itself while you are towering over it. Work on sit, then make him down for meals and such..and he should start getting a bit better. If he's downing without a problem later, chances are, it's very possible to become alpha over him.

Also, whatever you do. Don't alpha roll him (rolling him on his back). Some people may suggest it but in my opinion, it's a risky thing to do with a dominant dog. I find it too pushy and would rather become alpha by earning his respect rather than using physical force. Just my opinion though.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Re: New dog..

I have three Boston terriers and they just love people, but they are alittle territorial, and don't care for other dogs to use their fence to pee pee on. They are easy to clean, and they shed very little, they weigh approx. 22 lbs, and love treats....they are wonderful friends to me....love to run and ride in the car. And they sleep with me, and love to be covered up, they can't take extreme cold weather. They have the smooched noses, but I like that.
    Thank you for letting me tell you about my pets.
    Yvonne Cox from Ohio
    Originally posted by complex-simplicity
    Hi! My family is thinking on getting a new dog, because... our dog we have right now is very aggressive, and he bites my brothers when he has food. We've tried to stop it, but nothing really works. So I think we're getting rid of him...

Anyway, my brother wants a pomeranian because his friend has one. I however, would like a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I want to know if these breeds, or any others, would be suitable for these qualifications:
    -Small/meduim size
    -Ideal for small house
    -Low/moderate energy leve
    -Low/regular maintainence
    -Friendly/non-aggressive

The youngest in the house is 8 years old, so there are usually small children around. The oldest is 18, so there are also usually older children around.
    Thanks in advance.
    Yvonne Cox

Thank you all, so much! I'll try to NILIF, thanks again!

No problem! Good luck!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

How are things going with your basenji? I really hope you all are able to work with him. They're incredible dogs! But, yeah, someone already mentioned this. But, any dog you get is going to think it's the alpha dog and bite and intimidate until the family gets together as a team and sets rules down for everyone to follow. Consistency is the key. Everyone has to be the alpha dog over the canine. Please update us!

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Any Word????
    How are things going with your Besenji????
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Good luck with your Basenji, they are one of my favorite breeds, and also one of the primative breeds, which can make them hard to understand and live with. Great dogs but they are not for everyone.
    I'm sure there are plunty of people and basenji rescues out there willing to work with this dog, so if things don't work out for you guys, please get him into a good basenji specific rescue. There is a high chance that your local shelter/humane society will simply put him to sleep since he has a record of biting.

If you need any more help training him, or placing him let me know.
    "If you won't rescue, don't breed"