Thread: Does anyone know?

Does anyone know?

Anything about sugar gliders?

My mom and dad are thinking about getting a couple of them. And wanted me to see if anyone knew anything about them?

If you know of any information about them or know of any good sites I can go to. Please feel free to tell me of some. Thankyou.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

Get a female, the males have a strong oder. They are nocturnal, so we feed ours at night. She likes almost any fresh fruit or vegetable. Yogurt and meal worms are also a favorite. They don't usually like new people, and will bark at them, it's best to get one as a baby. They are marsupials and are from Australia. A bird cage makes a great home for a sugar glider, not a tank. Um, I don't know what else to add. What do you want to know? Ask questions and I'll try to answer them.

I'll ask one of my co-workers tomorrow, she has one. She has told me many many times she would not recommend them though. Their diet is very difficult to make properly, they're VERY VERY nocturnal, and they need an enormous amount of space. (She bought hers an aviary!)

For the right person they can be a LOT of fun, but I'd recommend doing a TON of research.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

One of my friends has one & he also does not reccomend them to an unexperienced pet person. They are fairly difficult to feed properly & yes they need an enormous cage. The bigger & taller the better. I know he says to get them as a baby as they can be difficult to handle if they are not familiar with you already.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Ok, I just found some site on google. From what I've read they say they do alot better if there are two of them.

I'm going to do alot of researching on them, well much as I can. I just hope my mom doesn't decide to go out and get one or two anytime soon.

I feel really stupid for asking this. But a unexperienced pet owner? Does that mean some that has no experience with any pets at all? Or small animals or what? I mean what do they consider a unexperienced owner?

My mom and dad have/had: guinea pigs,fish,birds,turtles,dogs,and cats. My mom is a very good pet owner she takes very good care of her pets. Vet visits,feeding, and other stuff that the animals may need. Its not like she doesn't know anything about them.

Again I'm so sorry for the stupid question.

http://petoftheday.com/search/search...y&mr=200&pr=ON

Read the pages for the Sugar Gliers that have been Pet of the Day - some have a lot of information that might be of help.

What about a flying squirrel? They are a lot of fun and are so cute. They are very simular to a sugar glider, however eaiser and more rewarding. They are more friendly and altho they too are nocturnal they will come out durring the day. Our flying Squirrel, Popeil loves people, and when you open his cage (no matter what time of the day) he will come out to see you. He is such a sweetie. They are the same size as a sugar glider and eat similar, but not completly the same.

Originally posted by Tina
    I feel really stupid for asking this. But a unexperienced pet owner? Does that mean some that has no experience with any pets at all? Or small animals or what? I mean what do they consider a unexperienced owner?

My mom and dad have/had: guinea pigs,fish,birds,turtles,dogs,and cats. My mom is a very good pet owner she takes very good care of her pets. Vet visits,feeding, and other stuff that the animals may need. Its not like she doesn't know anything about them.

Again I'm so sorry for the stupid question.
    I really would not recommend a sugar glider as a first, second, or even third "small fuzzy" type of pet. You will not get any affection out of them, they rarely bond to humans, and even after years of work my co-worker's still bites her visiously at every opportunity. In my opinion, they are "get a pair and watch them interact at night" type of pet.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Thanks for everyone's help I'm kinda of thinking my mom may have changed her mind or she may be just waiting to talk to my dad.

If she does end up with one or two I'll let you all know. And of course share pictures.

You may want to also check with local regulations concerning owning sugar gliders ... I know they are illegal without a permit in some places.

I agree with what everyone said ... not the easiest pets to keep. Plus, they are FAST. They can jump like a flying squirrel, and easily cross a room in a split second. VERY hard to catch if they ever get out.

My friend had a pair for a while. They are indeed absolutely adorable ... but as was mentioned, not cuddly or affectionate. They spent all day in their hanging fabric pouch, sleeping ... and if she tried to get them out they would bite her.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien