Thread: Oops, open mouth - insert foot.

Oops, open mouth - insert foot.

I had a man come to the house today to measure for new windows in the sunroom. I noticed the other day when I first met him that he is missing most of three fingers on his right hand. Anyway, as he was leaving today he stopped in by the living room and commented on our decor. I made the comment that I had cat proofed the room because I have throws over the furniture and I had placed something in the floor around the corners of the furniture so Ripley wouldn't stand there and sharpen his claws on it. He asked if I hadn't declawed my cats and I said "oh no! I would never do that to them" and he asked why not and I said "because that's like cutting off the ends of their fingers at the knuckles". He quickly held his hand up in my face and said "it hadn't hurt me any". I about died!!!! I still told him I wouldn't want to hurt my cats like that.

I just called my husband at work and told him and he's probably still laughing at me. Oops!

From Decker with Love

Well, at least you won't have to worry about him clawing the furniture when you aren't looking...

---------------------------

A man came into our emergency room with all ten of his fingers cut off...He was very distraught and was crying. When the doctor reasssured him that, with the progress made in Orthopedic and Mircosurgery, there would be no problem getting his digits reattached.

With that news the patient began to cry louder...
    The doctor prepared to get the gentleman to surgery when he asked the patient to have faith in his abilities.

The patient began to wail even louder and told the doc that he would never be able to reattach his fingers.

"Why not?", the doctor asked.

"I don't have them with me, How was I supposed to pick them up???"
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

That's a hoot. Sounds like he has a pretty good sense of humor.

Isn't it funny how when we KNOW we SHOULDN'T say something, it pops out anyway!

I am sure he must be used to remarks or questions, and he sounds like he took it well.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

LOL!!!!!!

Sounds like something I'd say! He's probably laughing about it now himself.

My uncle's partner did almost the same thing last summer.

They had us and a guest at their house for dinner. Kyle lost his legs at age 16 from a skiing accident (he is now in his late 40's) . We were all eating dinner and it came out that Kyle saved all his toothbrushes. No particular reason why, but he keeps them all on the counter in the bathroom, he says he likes looking at all the pretty colors. George then joking asked "Do you also save your toenails??!!" Instantly George realized what he had just said, and became a deep purplish-red. Without missing a beat, Kyle looked up at him and said "Yes, I probably would, if I still had them!". There was a (long) moment of silence then we all burst out laughing. George was SO embarrased, but Kyle managed to ease him of the pain.
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

LOL!!!! It certainly sounds like he has a good sense of humor.....and by the way...I am notorious for opening my mouth and inserting my foot.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

I would have a hard time not coming back with a smart mouthed comment like...."Yea well you still have 7 working ones".

Denyce

I was talking with a friend and used the expression "I'd give my right arm for....." Later I remembered his son was born missing his right arm. He didn't say anything but I was mortified.

Ooooh, these stories remind me of the time I had a flat and went to get the tire replaced. The lady behind the desk was obviously crying. Her eyes were all red and puffy and you could see stains through her makeup. I asked if she was ok and she explained that her dog was sick last night and passed away in the night. He was young and she had no idea he was seriously ill. I felt terrible for her and murmured a few words of support and understanding.

The wait for my tire was longer than expected, so I sat and read the magazines. Then I got bored with that and tried to strike up a conversation with her. I thought I might try to cheer the poor lady up. So I decided to tell a funny story about something or other. I must have said cliches like "Sick as a dog" and "I could have died" several times! I was mortified (oops there I go again!) but I didn't want her to to notice my thoughtlessness.... I think she was just half listening (thankfully)

My husband on the other hand was listening and kicked me every time I said one of the bad cliches.

We are so used to all , or most people having all thier digits and being whole , that sometimes we dont not stop , to think , when we speak , to those sadly , who are diasabled! Iam missing a finger , and sometimes am asked what ahppened , and I always try to have a sense of humor about it , saying that the cats , just couldnt wait to be fed!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Originally posted by catmandu
    We are so used to all , or most people having all thier digits and being whole , that sometimes we dont not stop , to think , when we speak , to those sadly , who are diasabled! Iam missing a finger , and sometimes am asked what ahppened , and I always try to have a sense of humor about it , saying that the cats , just couldnt wait to be fed!
    Gary, I had no idea! I'm glad you have such a good sense of humor about it. I love your "explanation"