Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs Hamster

Mouse vs Hamster

Hi guys!

I might be able to get either a mouse or a hamster My mom just has to get my dad to agree. I was wondering if you were to get one which would you choose? (or prefer) And why. Thank you for your help

Oh yes! What kind of food do you feed and what kind of veggies/fruits do they generally like?

Thanks again

(And for anybody wondering, I get my ratties next year )
    Last edited by Tiah; 03-29-2004 at 09:48 PM.

Whoops that should be "VS" not "FVS"

Gosh, I would just research how long each kind lives, and which called to my heart. I have fond memories of both Speedy the mousie (my big brother's mouse when I was a little kid) and Vadim, our Siberian Dwarf hamster.

I had mice for a long time, I once had 25 of them at the same time. They make wondeful pets, but why are you holding out on the rats? Hee hee! Can't help but ask. I would get ratties before I ever got a hamster or mouse. But I am bias

I say mouse! LOL! I once had 25 at the same time, they were fun, and cute!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Oh trust me I have been researhing- I just can not decide LOL

I'm holding out on the ratties cause my dad "Says-So" meh, what ever, he's my dad- I listen to him LOL

I had hamsters when I was a teenager and now I have mice. I like both. Either would make a good pet. I do want to add that I too like rats the best.

Between mice and hamsters, I would say just go with your gut instinct. I think they're both about the same honestly. I, like several others, prefer rats, though. They're just more fun to handle and usually sweeter and cleaner and smarter, too. Although, I loved my little hamster girl, Tawny. I once had a psycho girlie mouse that I named Norman. But, she wasn't your average mouse.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

hamster.... cough cough**
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I'd chose Hamster.

I'm not sure about all mice, but my biology class' mice poop ALL the time. Constantly.

The Hamster has never pooped once when someone was holding it.

Plus, no offense to those who have them, but I think hamsters are way cuter.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I would go with a mouse. In my experience they're just more sociable. That may just be me though.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I've never had a mouse, but I have had little hamsters many times. I will admit that I never considered a mouse, gerbil or a rat because of their tails! Just a weird quirk of mine, I guess! But little mice and gerbils are so cute to me and so active!

Every hamster I have ever had was sweet and I have never been bitten. The issue that made us finally decide not to have anymore is that they don't live very long, unfortunately. And it broke our hearts to lose them at 2-3 years old. I'm not sure of the lifespan of a mouse, but I do know that gerbils tend to live a bit longer than a hamster.

Good luck with your decision, and with your dad!!!

In elementary school I had mice. In fact mice were very popular back then among many of my peers. They were very cute and friendly. When I was about 16 a boyfriend gave me a hamster for a gift. Unfortunately it bit me HARD. The boy saw it happen and felt terrible. That little guy went back to the pet store.

Originally posted by WolfChan
    I would go with a mouse. In my experience they're just more sociable. That may just be me though.

Nope, not just you. I've owned both for years now and currently have one mouse and three hamsters. I've owned both dwarfs and syrians and I would difinitely pick a mouse anyday over the hamsters. Mice are MUCH more socialable than hamsters. Plus, you are less likely to be bitten if you wake them during a nap.

Here's some info on my house mouse Fred:

http://www15.brinkster.com/luckies4me/Fred.html
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Mice are a little more smelly, but if you take good care of them and their cage this really isn't an issue.

Get whichever animal jumps out and says, "TAKE ME HOME!" That's how my husband and I got our first mouse.

I say go with a syrian hamster (teddy bear, golden, black bear etc), because mice are social and like to be kept in groups, whereas syrian hamsters like to be left alone.
    I've been BOO'd!