Thread: I didn't see it coming!!

I didn't see it coming!!

This weekend i went to our lake house. I had went over to a ladys house and forgot somthing by her door. The next day i was walking by and i saw it. I saw her dog by it but it had been so nice the day before. and when i was trying to get my thing is grawled at me. Then tryed to bite my leg it hurt my leg and turned it black and blue. i never got it back either lol. When i told my friend she was laughing
    >'.'< I love cats >'.'< they are so cool>'.'< yes they are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

call animal controal and get it setteled.

Maybe the dog became attached with whatever you were picking up. Or maybe there was something of the dog's that was nearby and it thought that you were going to take it. Or the dog just could be very territorial and not like people around when the owner isn't.

This is tricky for you!

How did you tell the lady about the incident? Did you say it like you thought it was amusing and you were not hurt or upset? Did you tell it like it was? - scary, unexpected, painful and unacceptable!

You may need to ask her to come to your house, show her the bruises and tell it straight - the dog will end up hurting someone badly and they will take it further. It will affect how you feel about going to your neighbours house and that is not something you want to happen.

The dog is doing it's job, gaurding territory that it feels it is responsible for. In my view the dog should not have that amount of responsibility and will become a liability if this behaviour is allowed to continue.

Tell your neighbours about this site and encourage them to have alook and maybe even ask advice!

The dog is protecting his property, he was doing what dogs do.
    You should have waited for the owner to come back and retrieve what you needed. You were taking a risk going on their property whether you know the dog or not. they are alone and so they go into that protect mode.

Who's at fault

I think this is a combination of misunderstanding. I assume this dog is allowed to run "free" since sounds like a country setting. Your timing may have been "off" to come by for the visit. Next time wait for the dog to be further away from the house to make contact. Your more likely on less sacried ground there.
    Where you walking straight toward the dog? NEVER walk toward a dog and into it's eyes at the same time!!!!!!! This is an aggressive move by you. They will bite and attack. Always walk backwards slowly and no eye contact when getting near an aggressive dog.
    Always let the dog sniff you or your hand prior to petting. Let the dog know who you are. Next time your with your friend have the dog smell you in their presence. The dog will understand you are a friend to the owner.
    You have every right to let your friend know about the bite. However, you most likely would not win a lawsuit since you were technically "trespassing" and not viewed as a welcome guest at the time of the visit.
    You and this dog need to make friends. Slow things down a bit and learn each others behaviors. That way you can both pass eachother without harm.