Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rat home - cage or tank?

rat home - cage or tank?

Right now, I've got my hairless girl, Luli, in a wire cage. It's got the bottom level with her water bottle and wheel, and, then there's the second level with her bedding and this round cubby hole thing that she eats her food in, and, there's a loft type level above that where her food bowl is. My boyfriend just bought a new terrarium for his ball python and has a 35 or 40 gallon tank that he is going to let me use for Luli if I want it. It's a long rectangular tank. I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on whether rats prefer tanks or wire cages or if anyone has photos of how they have their rats or any other small animals set up in tanks. Just for some ideas if I decide to move her into the tank. Thanks guys!

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Rats have very sensitive respiratory systems and so they do better in wired caged because they are well-ventilated. I'd just make sure that the wires aren't too thin so that she doesn't get bumblefoot. I try and keep the wires on one of my cages covered, but the little brat uncovers them. Some rats do prefer tanks though. I think it's because they are warmer and they seem more comfy..
    I've been BOO'd!

Well, I was just looking at the thread about your animal's cages and really liked one of the set ups I saw, so, I pm'd the poster about it. But, I don't know.....I don't want to jack up Luli's respiratory system, that's for sure. She's alone anyway, and, she's out of her cage enough, I don't think she's suffering for room. But, I do plan on getting at least a couple more rats, and, would really like to make a cage for them when I do. I just don't think Luli would respond well to another rat after so long being by herself. She had a buddy, but, she died. Her name was Gwynnie. She was also hairless.

Thanks, Dogz!

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

What about a tank with a cage topper? Then you get both, and with nice ventilation!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by WolfChan
    What about a tank with a cage topper? Then you get both, and with nice ventilation!
    Where would I get or how could I make a cage topper? SOrry, I'm cage-ignorant.

Thanks, Dogz!

Petco sells tank toppers and so does Martin's Cages-www.martinscages.com. I bought one at Petco for $30.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

only hurt or nursing rats should be in a tank.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    only hurt or nursing rats should be in a tank.
    If the tank had a topper on it, it would be ok. BUT- if I remember correctly, you can only get toppers for 10 gallon tanks.

I think that since one rat will be housed in a very large tank it would be ok, especially if you spot cleaned the cage every day and cleaned it thoroughly every week. If there were two or more rats I wouldn't advise it because the urine will build up faster.

$0.02

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

The tank is 40 gallons I think. And, I clean every day anyway, so, that part wouldn't be a problem. I'm looking at just building a wire cage anyway. I just thought that more room and the ability to make levels in the tank to give her more climbing room would be good. But, I wasn't aware that they would experience respiratory problems. I'm going to call my vet, too. there's a lady that works there that rescues rats and she is very knowledgeable. Just getting lots of opinions.

Thanks, Dogz!

If you want to get a lot of rat people opinions then I highly suggest you join Rats Rule and make a post about it there.

Go to: www.goosemoose.com/rfc I am registered as Crazy4Rats, Cass (luckies4me) is on there too, along with 5,000 other rattie owners.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

My boss has 9 rats right now. She has done rat rescue for many years and has had many many rat in the past. She has always kept them in a wire cage. She had told me that a rat should not be kept in a tank.

If the tank had a topper on it, it would be ok. BUT- if I remember correctly, you can only get toppers for 10 gallon tanks.
    No, you can get a topper for any size tank. We have a topper for our 50 gallon, wide tank. Along with 5 other large tanks. You should be able to get a topper for any size tank.

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    If you want to get a lot of rat people opinions then I highly suggest you join Rats Rule and make a post about it there.

Go to: www.goosemoose.com/rfc I am registered as Crazy4Rats, Cass (luckies4me) is on there too, along with 5,000 other rattie owners.
    Thanks, I joined and posted the question.

Thanks, Dogz!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Rats have very sensitive respiratory systems and so they do better in wired caged because they are well-ventilated. I'd just make sure that the wires aren't too thin so that she doesn't get bumblefoot.
    In all the many years I have kept rats I have NEVER had a rat with Bumblefoot and all my rats have been on wire cages. Bumblefoot is now thought to be mostly genetic, with animals having a predisposition of it running in the lines. I would not worry about Bumblefoot. Even if housed on a flat surface, if any animal gets a cut and staph bacteria grows they will get Bumblefoot anyway.

As far as the tank, considering she is hairless a large enough tank would be just fine for one rat. I usually do not recommend tanks, but with a large tank cleaned fairly often it should cause no trouble at all. Her having no fur and no furred company does make me a little concerned she may be getting cold, which is why I think the tank may be best until you get her a friend. Or, you can add lots of baby blankets or other snuggly items so she can warm herself. I know my doe Wrinkles can get cold fairly quickly, which is why she is constantly looking for clothes to steal and bring into her cage. If she has none, she actually bundles up her bedding in her mouth and brings it to the top shelf so she can have something to keep her warm.

Tanks are not as bad as people make them out to be and they do serve a purpose. If the tank is large enough you are getting a good amount of air circulation. Granted, not as much as having the rat in an open cage, but they should do just fine. I've known many people who keep rats in large tanks and none have had serious health issues from it at all. I use tanks for all my mothers and babies, and they stay in them for 6 weeks, and not once have any of my does suffered side effects. The key is good hygiene. Tanks are also great for quarantine as well, which if you keep her in the cage and decide to get her another rat, it would make a great quarantine cage in itself.

As far as tank toppers are concerned, a ten gallon with a tank topper is much too small for one rat, let alone two. I do not recommened tank toppers at all, unless they are powder coated. They tend to be very dirty, having the urine leak down the tank and it's a constant clean up. I use my tank topper for recently weaned babies who are unable to go into the bigger cages until they have grown some and are into their new homes, which isn't long. They do however, make larger tank toppers. They are fairly easy to make homemade and if you need help making one let me know.

As far as aquiring new rats I don't think you would have much of a problem with introductions if you take things slow, since she has had rat company before and girls usually get along just great. I just throw my new girls in together and have never had a problem. Just make sure the proper quarantine is done, as in another house with a different air space for at least two weeks, 4 is recommended. When that time comes and you would like more info on quarantine and intros just contact me.

Meanwhile, if you want to check out my cages online you can go here:
    http://www15.brinkster.com/luckies4me/About_Us.html

Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. This is my Rattery site, and there are other things on there that may be of interest to you.

BTW, I am typing all this while my new ratty runs around under my sweatshirt!
    Last edited by luckies4me; 03-30-2004 at 09:13 AM.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by luckies4me
    In all the many years I have kept rats I have NEVER had a rat with Bumblefoot and all my rats have been on wire cages.
    I said make sure the wires are not too thin, because I've read that wires of a certain size have a habit of causing or worsening bumblefoot. I did not compare her to your rats that might be walking on wire that is a normal size.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I said make sure the wires are not too thin, because I've read that wires of a certain size have a habit of causing or worsening bumblefoot. I did not compare her to your rats that might be walking on wire that is a normal size.

Hrmm, I have never seen wire cages where the wire was too small. In all the cages I have used the wire was the same width. Do you have a link that says this? Again though, I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing is to NOT have wire that is capable is inflicting wounds or scratches, which is how the bacteria invades in the first place.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.