Thread: poultry bones

poultry bones

I know this has been discussed before, but, I'm just really nervous about feeding poultry bones to my dog. I don't know what it's going to take to convince me, but, for some reason, I really want to hear what people's thoughts are on this. Is there an alternative? I mean, right now, I'm giving Finn meat and eggshell powder and, he gets beef bones to chew on. I'm just seriously unsure about the poultry bones. It's just the one thing with the raw diet that I can't seem to get my brain around. Any experiences, advice, suggestions, websites, testimonies, whatever....please.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I don't and won't ever feed my dogs any bones. I know many people feel differently. I know many people think it's safe, but I don't. Bones can break and splinter, causing pieces to be sharp. This can and has (according to my vet) pierced a dogs stomach or intestines. The result is an emergency surgery for those poor dogs. Even tho chicken wings are softer than other bones, I still will never feed them. Maybe you should talk to your vet. Also do some research, look for facts, not opinions. I or anyone can give you our opinions, but for your peace of mind please spend some time and research it fully.

I don't know alot about raw diets(I want to learn more), but don't they recommend grinding the bones up somehow? That was always my impression, and I could easily be wrong here......tom

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

Raw bones are fine.

Cooked bones are dangerous.

My dogs eat all kinds of raw meat and bones, and I have small dogs. They love it, their teeth and coats are great, and I've never had a problem.

If you want to try it, start with chicken wings or necks once a week. Or get a big beef knucklebone for them to chew. Not a huge commitment, just see how you feel about it.

But, if you never feel comfortable about raw bones, then don't do it. Millions of dogs live perfectly happy, healthy lives never having touched a bone.

I don't believe that one way is "right" and the other "wrong". Do what works for you and your dogs.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

While doing research for raw feeding, I asked our vet if he's had any problems so far with raw bones. He told me that he has never dealt with injuries due to raw bones. He has, however, dealt with bone damages..just not from raw bones. That's just one vet though. I'm sure there have been damages due to raw bones though...just, our vet hasn't dealt with them so far.

If you don't feel comfortable with feeding raw bones, you could do what Tom suggested. I'm still not so comfortable with feeding raw bones and if I don't become comfortable by the time I decide to go back to raw feeding, grinding is always a possibility. Grinding the bones won't give the added bonus of clean teeth but you could also get clean teeth with the recreational bones that are less likely to splinter.

Just remember, there are risks with everything. Nothing is 100% safe but if you're smart about it and do your research, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Dogs can (and have) choked to death while eating kibble..well, according to what I've read. It's not very likely that a dog would choke to death on kibble but, it's still possible. Same goes for raw bones. If you're doing the right things, it's not that likely to happen but still possible.
    Last edited by binka_nugget; 03-28-2004 at 09:13 PM.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

My ex's dog died a slow painful death because of a bone stuck in his throat. I don't feed my dogs bones.

Thank you Wolfie!

I've been researching, and, getting both sets of perspectives. I just want to make sure that Finn gets the nutritional benefit of the bones, and, as far as the teeth cleaning aspect, I do brush his teeth every night. I also let him chew on bones, just not poultry ones. And, he gets his calcium from the eggshell powder. I'm all over the raw diet, I just can't get past the idea of the bones splintering. I'm still reading, though, and, I appreciate all of the replies on here.

Thanks, Dogz!

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Originally posted by guster girl
    And, he gets his calcium from the eggshell powder. I'm all over the raw diet, I just can't get past the idea of the bones splintering.
    No worries. I'd be feeding raw right now if we had something to grind the bones. I'm not comfortable with feeding chicken bones but I'm comfortable with everything else.

Are you making sure he gets his phosphorus too? I think I've read that bones are supposed to have the correct (or near correct) phosphorus/calcium level.

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    No worries. I'd be feeding raw right now if we had something to grind the bones. I'm not comfortable with feeding chicken bones but I'm comfortable with everything else.

Are you making sure he gets his phosphorus too? I think I've read that bones are supposed to have the correct (or near correct) phosphorus/calcium level.
    I thought it was phosphorous from the meat part of the raw meaty bones? ugh. I don't know now! Yeah, but, I thought it was meat = phosphorous and eggshell powder = calcium. I swear I read that somewhere. And, where I read it said a good p/c ratio was (at least for a puppy) six spoonsful eggshell powder to one pound of meat. maybe wrong? I'll keep looking!

Thanks, Dogz!

I have no idea..LOL. I just heard that bones are almost balanced in terms of Calcium/phosphorus levels..so I guess it's possible that the meat is the accounts for the phosphorus level. *shrugs* I've never been so confused in my life LOL.

I'm still reading.... Maybe someone will read this thread and give us some clarity.

Thanks, Dogz!

There's a lady at our dog park who feeds her Anatolian sheperd raw chicken and raw chicken bones all the time. She has told us a number of times that raw bones are ok, cooked bones splinter.

Her dog has had a vast improvement on her raw diet. The dog was a poor starving abuse case before, but now she is right around normal weight for her age and has a wonderful coat. She's quite healthy now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your pup's diet.

R.B. - Bailey (pit bull/lab mix) (08/?/2002 to 02/02/2005) and Guinness (chow/sheperd mix)

poultry bones

I've been browsing PetTalk for a long time, but have been motivated to register so I could offer my suggestion for how to feed poultry bones to dogs.

I would never give raw chicken bones to dogs - not worth the risk. However, our family eats a lot of chicken, so I save all the bones and pressure cook them for several hours. When even the toughest bone can be crushed in my fingers, they are ready to add to my dogs' dinners.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, the bones can be simmered for a long time to achieve the same result. I frequently simmer a potfull all day, turn it off at night, and start it up again the next morning, adding water when necessary. Again, when the bones crush easily, they are ready for use.

The bones can be collected in a bag in the freezer until there are enough for a batch, and later, the crushed bones can be frozen in small containers.

Hope this helps!

I feed raw poultry bones to my dogs. They love them and I've never had a problem with them. I do supervise them when they have them though. In fact they just had half a turkey neck and some chicken necks for dinner last night.

I think it is all a matter of comfort level. If you are not comfortable feeding the bones then don't. Personally I am not comfortable with raw pork bones. I don't know why, I'm just uncomfortable with the idea. So my dogs don't get pork bones. I am also uncomfortable with the idea of feeding just raw meat to my dogs, even when adding calcium to the meat because I am afraid that I wouldn't get the ratio right. So if I was worried about the bones I would probably feed them ground. But that's just me. Obviously you do not feel the same and you should do what is in your comfort level.

Grinding the bones won't give the added bonus of clean teeth
    I have heard (from someone who has been feeding a raw diet for years, and who I go to when I need advice) that the enzymes in the raw meat actually help clean the teeth as well, even if you grind the bones. I'll try and find out more about that. Of course as has been mentioned recreational chewing bones will help keep the teeth clean.

I hope this helps, and good luck with whatever you decide.

*Thanks Ashley*