Thread: volunteering at my shelter!!!

volunteering at my shelter!!!

i have been trying to volunteer at my ocal shelter for a long time. i finally just went in and filled out an application. it took them 6 weeks,but they finally called me!!! i am going in for an orientation(sp) today! i am so excited!

just thought i'd share.i can't seem to tell enough people!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Wonderful!! I'm so happy for you. It's a wonderful feeling knowing you're helping.

I know I love volunteering at our little shelter. I've come to love the long termers (will live out their time at the shelter) and really miss the ones who get adopted even though I'm happy to see them find good homes. We had one youngster go out this last week and one of our really long termers will go at the end of the month. Then there are the 18 puppies and two moms that have been reserved and will go sometime in April.

Congratulations Lute! I am so happy for you the animals there, They get to have someone nice to care for them and you get to share your love with them.

Thankyou for sharing. I am so happy for you!

Congrats! You're gonna love it!!!

i just got back and i can't wait till i go back! i had fun with just the hour i spent there.i took two dogs on a walk. the first one was a large brown dog that had obviosly never been on a eash. she kept pulling and i had to losen it up. the second one loked like a large beagle.he just ran in circles. he was very funny.you can see him here...link his name is Dozer.unfortinatly he dosnt have much time left.

they said i could come in any time and help. i can't wait till i go back.

Congratulations on your new position. You do seem to have
    a real love for dogs and I'm sure you'll be a great help at the
    shelter. Good luck in your new job.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thanks
    i DO love dogs .i even drive my own family crazy.they think im way over my head thinking i can train shelter dogs to help make them more adoptable.lol

Congratulations Lute! What lucky dogs and cats to have you there to comfort and care for them! Already two puppers have known your love. I hope and pray little Dozer makes it Working at a kill shelter takes a very special type of selfless love and courage. Thank you so much for helping these deserving creatures

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

yea,i dont know what i'm gonna do when a dog that i get attached to gets put to sleep! any advice?

Originally posted by lute
    yea,i dont know what i'm gonna do when a dog that i get attached to gets put to sleep! any advice?
    I don't know about other shelters, but at the one that I volunteer at, the dogs that are available for adoption are not generally pts. If they are there for any extended period of time, we try to get them into a foster home or place them with a rescue organization. My guess is that is the only dogs you will be allowed to have any contact with are the ones that have had a behavior evaluation. In the last year, I have only known of one dog that I had actual contact with that ended up euthanized. Unfortunately he developed kennel stress and began to lunge at people. We worked hard with him, but in the end there was no alternative. Most times the dogs that are euthanized are in the isolation wards due to aggression issues or health issues or court cases. Even when a dog is put down, the staff generally do not advertise which dog was euthanized and the reason behind it.

I just try to concentrate on the dogs that are up for adoption and try to give them some attention and training to reduce their stress and increase their liklihood of getting adopted.

One thing I have learned is that you cannot second guess the decisions made by the shelter staff. They have the knowledge and experience working within the system that I could never fully understand. I just try to work with them to help the animals. Let's face it, people in animal care are never in it for the money - the pay sucks.