Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog rescues

Dog rescues

On sunday i went to a local dog shelter to find a companion for my other dog. When we got there, they had us fill out an information sheet for liability reasons. As my mom was filling this out, there was a family that had to get rid of their 10 month old beagle puppy. As they left, one of the shelter employees handed me the puppy, Lady, so I did. I feel in love! But this was all coming to a crashing halt!
    As my mom gave back the info. sheet, the employees asked my mom one question:where do you keep oyur dog? My mom answered in the garage/ backyard. The employees where horified! (we got our other dog there) they could not believe that we kept our dog in the backyard! They practically told us, except the words, that we abusede our dog by keeping him in the backyard. All of this was going on while I was holding Lady, that we were planning on getting. But, because we kept our dog in the backyard, we could not adopt a dog from them.
    Then they had the nerve of asking why we did not keep him inside, we answered because he is really hiper. they answered with- keep him in a crate
    I am soory, but I am not going to put my dog, why is afraid of cages because he was abused, in a crate, that would just make him nervous and stressed! then they went on saying that they can take Manny away because my mom signed a contract stating that the dog would be inside. Well soooorrrryy, god you must be so full of yourself that you are willing to take away a loved pet form a family that has loved and cared for him for 3years and has payed for the vet bills and the training and all of the devices that we used when he barked at nothing.
    As we were leaving, the one employee came out to our car with this to say: why don't you get adog from the animal shelter because they do not care where you keep your dog.
    This is what just sent me into a rage/ ball of mush. these people have just told me that I abused and hated my dog because of where he sleeps. I would die for my dog, just like any other dog owner. I love my little Manny-Doodle, and noone will take him away from me.
    Thanks for reading my sorrow, but I just needed to get this off my back!

I'm sorry the shelter worker upset you, but they were probably just thinking about what would be best for the dog. Dogs need lots of contact with their 'pack' (aka humans ) and maybe they though you weren't going to spend enough time with your dog or something? I don't know...

Do you have a fence or something to keep your dog in your yard? As long as he's safe in your yard and has shelter and love (and food of course) then you're not a bad dog owner. In fact getting another dog would probably help him out by giving him company when you're not there - and someone to play with.

If your dog is really hyper he needs exercise. Try walking him and playing with him a lot to tire him out. Then maybe you'll be able to bring him in the house later.

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Wow, well, I don't agree with keeping dogs in the backyard, but, that's just my personal opinion. A crate is a great idea for safety and comfort reasons, and, there are ways to acclimate a hyper, scared of cages, dog to a crate, but, I know it takes a lot of time. I know that they had every right to refuse you as far as adopting Lady, but, they could have been nicer to you. Again, I disagree with leaving a dog in the backyard, but, I don't think it was appropriate or professional for the employees/volunteers to go off on you the way they did. They should have just politely refused the adoption, and dealt with the situation more pleasantly. That sucks that you had to go through that. I hope Lady gets a good home, though, and, that you are able to rescue a dog from somewhere that isn't as rigid as far as the backyard rule.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

All my 4 dogs, including Border Collie, are mostly indoor dogs. They just go out in the backyard to go to the bathroom and play. I'd never be able to stand my dogs being only outdoors because I see my dogs like family. I mean, you wouldn't lock your brother or sister or kid out of the house.. So I'm with guster girl, but I do still think it was wrong of the employees to tell you off like they did. They could have been nicer about it.

Also, dogs are usually really hyper at first (because they're really happy) but do settle down for the most part indoors. Maybe you could play with your dog in the backyard for a bit to tire him out and then let him come in and chill inside the house afterwards? I don't know.. Just a thought.

I'm sorry they were so harsh to you. But, I guess they had every right to not adopt out the dog. I guess they're just really careful when they adopt out a dog.

What exactly do you mean by hyper? Does he run like crazy? Chew things? After living with two border collies (cousin's bcs) and two shelties, I can honestly say that a tired dog is a good dog. With hyper dogs, regular exercise and practicing obedience can help alot. If my dogs seem a bit antsy and hyper, I either take them for a long walk, practice obedience or play some games that require them to think. It really helps alot with the more "on the go" dogs.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Ok, well I'm one of those bad guys I guess. Because I deny people on a daily basis for that exact same reason. I do it in a very nice way, but they still get spitting mad. Then they start complaining to anyone within earshot and exaggerating about the whole thing.

Dogs are pack animals. Putting a dog in a backyard/garage because it is hyper is not a good idea. Why not try agility or something similar to work off some energy and get some training in at the same time? Why not take the dog through obedience so you can learn how to relate to and work with the dog? Why not make your dog a part of the family before bringing in another dog to throw in the backyard? If you have behavioral issues with the current dog, adding another dog is the last thing you need to do at this point. You need to fix the hyperness first.

If you interact with your dog daily, providing mental and physical stimulation and training, he will not be too hyper to be inside.

I hope you don't think I'm being harsh, but I really don't think you are realizing that the shelter workers care about the dog's well-being.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I know of two homes where the dogs are kept in the backyard.

First home is next door to me. Meg is a GSD who is in the shed for, it seems to me, most of the day. The rest of the time she is let into the garden, and never, or rarely, taken out for a walk. It breaks my heart.

Second home is a street or so away. Barry has two working Springer Spaniels, Jesse and her daughter Emma. They do spend time in the house most days but live outside. He has fitted out his shed really great and attached a run, they are safe and warm (he puts a heater in when it is really cold!). He takes them out for a walk at least 3 times a day, a bit less maybe when they have been working. Feeds them well and gives them lots of love and affection. They really are happy and healthy dogs.

Speaking for myself I would not ever keep a dog outside. But if someone chooses to do so, for whatever reason, and they do it properly, as Barry has, well, not fine, but okay. But when it is like Meg ..... she is barking/whining right now , to me that is just so wrong.

Does the dog ever come in or does he live his whole life outdoors?

Nothing breaks my heart more than to see a dog outside crying to get in and be close to the family it loves.

I'm in an apartment and I don't have a backyard to just let my dog out too, so I have to do that extra work of taking her for long walks and letting her tire herself out. She's a husky mix and boy is she ever energenic. She's in a crate when I'm at work or else she'll chew the house down to the foundations.

The shelter was only looking out for the dogs well being. Some rescues/shelters do home visits.

Some shelters would never allow me to adopt from them because I don't have a yard. That's okay by me. They are only looking out for the dogs well being.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I agree with everyone.

Most dogs are hyper, maybe you should have got a less active breed. They all need exercise, and also need to be with their owners and be warm and not lonely.

My personal opinion is I don't think there is any point in people owning a dog if they are just going to keep it outside.

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I have to concur with the rest of the replies.

And I know I may come off bad here, but if your Mom signed a contract before regarding your other dog stating he would be kept indoors, and then did not keep with that, that is just the same as breaking a legal promise. It seems to me that the shelter is very concerned for the dogs' well being. They do not know you personally at all, and they see so many dogs that sit abandoned in a back yard or shed with maybe a bit of food and water and that is how it lives its life. They don't know your family personally, and how are they to take your word that your dog doesn't live that way, when your family has broken their agreement in the first place to keep him inside?

They may have seemed nasty to you, because they were threatening to repossess your other dog, but they are only doing their job. Many many purely outdoor dogs are victims of neglect. Not all, of course, but too many are, and the shelter has to assume the worst, especially if the contract is broken.

*edit* Another thought, when they talk about crating, they do not mean shutting him up in a crate day after day, several hours a day... that WOULD be abuse. I think a really good idea for you would be to research a bit on crating and other behavioral issues. A crate used properly should be a dog's den, and an indication to the dog that it is time to sleep awhile in a safe, secure place. Most after being properly crate trained, prefer to sleep in their crate. When my Tasha was a puppy, she would sleep in there with the door open, of her own choice. It is not to be used like a 'cage' at all.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by DogLover9501
    My personal opinion is I don't think there is any point in people owning a dog if they are just going to keep it outside.
    Exactly.

I volunteer for a rescue group and we never adopt out any of our dogs to people who do not keep them in the house. We advocate crate training, which ALWAYS benficial to the dog. If they're afraid of it, you help them overcome those fears.

If a dog is hyper your job is to wear him/her out, not just turn them loose in the backyard to wear themselves out. Dogs don't wear themselves out, instead they act out in destructive ways.

I have 2 EXTREMELY hyper dogs that I wear out each evening. We go for walks, play fetch (Chetser can do this for about 45 mins), work on tricks and obedience (you'd never know if you met then, though ) and they get lots of chewies, too.

Humane Society/Animal Shelter Rules different

The Humane Society shelters have different rules for adopting. It is much easier to get an animal from the City Animal shelter. I don't go to the Humane Society to adopt at all. Their rules are too stringent and don't relate to reality. Here there rules are that cats are NEVER to go outside. (Cats need grasses to eat for their digestion) Dogs MUST have FENCED in yards. What if I live on a farm and it is a hunting dog? Hello - Reality!!!
    The City Animal shelter is friendlier and warmer. You almost have to be stripped search to see the animals at the Humane Society. They bring the pet to you. I once saw their "cages" and they were kept much nastier than the City Shelter. The dogs were soaking wet and the cages had crud all over. It smelled horrible. I wanted to adopt the dogs just to get them out of those conditions!
    The City animal shelter now has the animals spade/nuetured prior to adopting. They treat them with shots. They also will follow up if you haven't gotten your dog spade/nuetered within the 30 days of adoption and verify the conditions. They do request a fenced in yard but no crate. You must also get a license for your pet and have a Vet's name.
    You can also adopt pets from your local Vet. Some people will drop of their pets at the Vet and not pick them up. Check with your local Vet to also find good homes. I hope next time you have better luck. I know I did.

If your mom signed a contract when she got your first dog, that the dog would be kept inside, I'm sorry to say this, but they can take that dog away. It's called a breach of contract.
    The local resuce organization here goes through a lot to match up a dog with the right home. My neighbors adopted a dog from them last year, and had to sign a ton of papers. When we adopted Abbey from the Beagle rescue, it was the same thing.

I can't imagine leaving my dogs outside all the time. Yes, my yard is fenced, and totally secured, but I want them in here with me because they are my family.
    I don't understand why anyone would even want to get a dog if they want to leave it outisde all the time. That is a concept totally lost on me.

I don't think the shelter you were at did anything wrong--they do have the dog's best intentions at heart, and that's what is important.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I have to agree with everyone else here.

Your dog might not be hyper if it was accustomed to being indoors. It would still be energetic, but might not hyper.

It seems to me as if your resentment towards your dog's behaviour is more hurtful to him than a crate to help him through his problems would be. Crates are miraculous. They give a dog a safe haven and a sense of security. If your dog is too hyper, then maybe you should have considered a different dog, when you were in the adoption process, that would be more suitable to your own lifestyle. It just bothers me that a member of the family has to be outside day-in and day-out.

Alot of times there are dozens of names on a waiting list for dogs at shelters and rescues. To find the best one possible, they are goign to do things like this. They might not be saying that it's terrible for you to keep your dog outside, but they might be saying that there is a better more suitable way to keep your dog, and somebody else does it, and that's the reason they pick one person and not another.

To be honest, they have every right to take your dog. By signing a legal contract, your mother stated that the dog would be kept indoors. Because you are now breaking the law, they have the ability to take away your dog, or even make a law suit against you. I'd read the forms more carefully next time.
    Last edited by wolfsoul; 03-24-2004 at 03:06 PM.
    I've been BOO'd!

Re: Humane Society/Animal Shelter Rules different

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo-Doo
    . Here there rules are that cats are NEVER to go outside. (Cats need grasses to eat for their digestion) Dogs MUST have FENCED in yards. What if I live on a farm and it is a hunting dog? Hello - Reality!!!
    I am sorry. I really have to disagree with you here. I think perhaps your concept of reality isn't what most people's are. Cats do not NEED grass to assist in digestion. They do enjoy chewing it however. It is very easy to grow the appropriate grass in a small container indoors.

As to the fenced yards....I see NO reason whatsoever that ANY dog should be chained by the neck for ANY reason. And if you lived on a farm then you would have plenty of room to fence in a section for a yard. Also kennels can be purchased at any home improvement center that can house dogs without them being chainedif you have a smaller yard or need less expensive housing. So to quote.....HELLO...Reality!

I think strict rules in the shelters are the one way that we can try and protect our animal friends from abuse and neglect. A very small but simple way. And a contract is a contract.

Denyce
    Last edited by Denyce; 03-24-2004 at 03:16 PM.