Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsettling news

Unsettling news

I was talking to my daughter tonight and she was talking about their next Biology project... disecting kittens!

I am sick to my stomach thinking about this. I HATED every minute of disecting my fetal pig, and innocently figured that schools dropped this from their curriculum... after all, they droped the blood studies we did. I also thought that there was such a back-lash about this project that they stopped it due to public demand. I did not learn anything that carried into my life... the only people that would benefit are those that want to go into science or medicine. That might be about 10% of the kids.

Ugh.

to save wear and tear on keyboards....

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ght=dissection
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

We're disecting cats, fetal pigs and frogs this year. Last year we disected a cow eyeball and a squid.

I don't have a problem with disection as long as the animals were not killed or totured for the purpose of it.

*EDIT* Oops, Richard posted the old thread.

Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
    We're disecting cats, fetal pigs and frogs this year. Last year we disected a cow eyeball and a squid.

I don't have a problem with disection as long as the animals were not killed or totured for the purpose of it.

*EDIT* Oops, Richard posted the old thread.
    sorry!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

She has every right to refuse to dissect a cat. If I were her, I protest.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Really now, how is a cat any different from a squid? Either one is a dead animal, and it isn't our place to assign one more value than another.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I was the only one in the school that in 9th grade refused to dissect a frog. And then in 12th grade I was the only one who refused to dissect a rat. I was (and am) morally against it - I believe that we shouldn't kill animals just to dissect in high school science classes. It has already been done, it's not helping anything, and students don't come away from it with much other than another grade in the gradebook.

Of course I'm also a vegetarian, and really into animal rights (but not like those crazy peta people or anything!). I believe that animals all have feelings, and to kill them, for any reason, is wrong.

But then there's the fact that there's meat in dog food... but I try not to think about that. Guinea pigs are vegetarians though! *hugs my piggies*

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Originally posted by WolfChan
    Really now, how is a cat any different from a squid? Either one is a dead animal, and it isn't our place to assign one more value than another.
    No, but we shouldn't be dissecting ANY animals - I really don't see the use in making bored highschool biology students do it. Future vets - yes, biology students who mostly go onto other fields, no.

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

Then again, even for future vets...there are so many better alternatives at this point.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I think it's pretty sad that schools have to resort to dead kittens for disections.. that's just wrong. I can understand for the fetal pigs (for my school anyways) They get them from the slaughter houses, so the mother pigs were already dead. I've never heard of disecting cats in BC, but then again, who knows what school standards are anymore..

Gracias to Binka for ze lovely sig!

Then again, even for future vets...there are so many better alternatives at this point.
    I'm hoping to be one, so that's the reason I am ok with disections. I don't really know how else you're supposed to learn this type of stuff without hands on experiance

Gracias to Binka for ze lovely sig!

look up "alternatives to vivisection" on google. Dissections should really be a thing of the past by now, they aren't needed anymore.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

And once again I ask, why is a cat that was PTS at the HS any worse than a fetal pig? That's what we used in my HS. (Of course, I graduated early so I never actually had to cut up a cat, or anything for that matter...)

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Im afraid, we are going to be disecting animals too this year. And cats are one of them. Man, what will I do?

And once again I ask, why is a cat that was PTS at the HS any worse than a fetal pig? That's what we used in my HS. (Of course, I graduated early so I never actually had to cut up a cat, or anything for that matter...)
    I don't think there's any difference. I HATED cutting up the fetal pig... and I had to do it TWICE - once in highschool and again in college. ugh. I never have used the information, and never will.

I feel as if this is a lesson better left for a student that seriously wants to pursue a career where this information would be beneficial. It is really hard for me accept that this might have any useful purpose in life... all I can remember is how awful I felt when out teacher instructed us to skin the pig.... that was the absolute wosrst thing I've ever had to do. So now, if ever I need to skin something, I know how to. Gee, yippie. That's so very useful.