Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need Your Opinion (Again!) ASAP

I need Your Opinion (Again!) ASAP

For more information about these ducks go here http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...threadid=45771

Someone at the Pet store used to get ducks and raise them in her kitchen and then set them free at her grandparents pond. She did this for years and then stoped. They deced to start up again and plan on getting, get this 2 DUCKS!! She is willing to rescue my two, train them to be wild and help them to be free, but is this a good idea? I'm a little un-certain, it would be GREAT for them to be free, but can they learn? And what about incounters with wild ducks? She said that it is legal as long as they do it on private property (When she was lil her parents called the Wildlife Fish and game people to see if it would be ok before they started)

What are your opinions???

Ash
    Last edited by Aspen and Misty; 03-17-2004 at 08:06 PM.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I think it may be a good idea, but then again I know nothing of this girl or her family. If they'll be in good hands, sure.

If it fails that they're able to become wild, i'm sure there's someone willing to keep them as pets.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

The girl is SUCH a great person. She is a animal lover, she just loves all animals. I think she would be perfect. I'm going to tell her that if they for any reson don't make it out in the wild, that she can call me and I will take them back.

The only thing is I have no idea on how well ducks do going from being captive to wild.

Ash

Those ducks are never going to survive in the wild. They are going to be used to humans unlike wild ducks, and most of their wild instincts are gone. I'd say those ducks only have a 40% chance of surviving if that. Ducks and geese imprint and if they imprint on something other than their own specie, they are never going to make it in the wild.

Not only that but she is messing up the environment big time by doing that because it knocks the environment out of balance, hard to explain, but if you were into wildlife/waterfowl conservation (like me) you'd get a better idea of what I am trying to say. Captive raised animals can harbor diseases that wild animals do not carry and there is always a chance that the captive animals will give their disease to the native species in the wild, I'm sure you can figure out what happens then.

Never release captive raised animals...
    Last edited by Desert Arabian; 03-17-2004 at 08:51 PM.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

LMAO! I printed out what you said YLL and I read that to my dad and he said, "Who is releaseing ducks, you shouldn't do that." and said the girl we are going to give the ducks to and he said "No, she is going to keep them in the barn and in a pen." when he said release he ment let them live on the farm Geez, LOL! Him and his wording, ok, so this is definitly the home for them then, they will have a famr to live there day's out on and a nice wamr (heated) barn!

Ash
    Last edited by Aspen and Misty; 03-17-2004 at 09:05 PM.

posted by YellowLabLover
    I have raised and released many of doves and other birds along with squirrels and bunnies. I think it's the right thing to do. I always take them to a place far away from people. It's man who is hurting these animals by taking their land, we need to help them.

posted by Aspen and Misty
    I have the chance to rescue 2 ducks from a meat farm. This person has 17 thousand ducks.
    posted by YellowLabLover
    They are going to be used to humans unlike wild ducks
    Those ducks aren't used to humans, they live in a meat farm.

I say do it.

Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
    LMAO! I printed out what you said YLL and I read that to my dad and he said, "Who is releaseing ducks, you shouldn't do that." and said the girl we are going to give the ducks to and he said "No, she is going to keep them in the barn and in a pen." when he said release he ment let them live on the farm Geez, LOL! Him and his wording, ok, so this is definitly the home for them then, they will have a famr to live there day's out on and a nice wamr (heated) barn!

Ash

OOOOOH, OK! *smacks head*

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I won't know the whole story till she calls me, hopefully tonight! But yea, bad dad

Ash

I should have worded it better: unless you are a professional and/or are trained on what to do, how to do it, etc. do not release captive raised animals- you most likely are doing more harm than good...

It's man who is hurting these animals by taking their land, we need to help them.
    Yep, that's why my father and I are members of conservation groups (Ducks Unlimited).

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

releasing hand raised ducks

Hi,

we have one duck. We found her in our woods when she was about 2 months old. She had been attacked by something and was pretty messed up. My husband helped me bring her inside and I raised her back to health -- (2 1/2 months in the guest bathroom gives the word "guest" a whole new meaning!! )

Anyway, I've joined a bunch of duck info lists and done a bunch of reading since then. One important thing I learned: DO NOT RAISE DUCKS FROM BABIES AND THEN RELEASE THEM ... you might as well just kill them the quick way if you plan to release them, because it's a slow death sentence.

Most domestic ducks aren't adapted to live in the wild. ie: they don't fly.

When you raise a duck from a baby, it will imprint on YOU -- it is the sweetest thing -- the duck thinks you're "momma" and will follow you and rely on you ... and love you!

Our Quackers was too old to imprint on us, but we have DEFINITELY bonded! She lives in a converted, secured dog kennel with all the perks (kiddie pool, heater in the winter, etc) She also comes out to play in the yard when my hubby or I are out there (we live in the woods and there are coyotes, fox, hawks and more -- so she is NOT out in the yard without us). She also comes inside to visit, but prefers to be outside.

Once she was recovered people asked why we didn't "let her go". That's funny! Go where? This is her home! She's had ample choice to leave -- but all she does when she's out of her pen is to run around after hubby, me, our dog or one of our cats! She is part of the family. She relies on us now. If we brought her to a local pond and dumped her, she'd be dead.

I'm sure there are professionals who know how to raise animals in a "natural" way -- to prevent reliance and imprinting. But, just thought I'd share this for otehrs who think they may be doing a duck a favor by raising it and then "setting it free" on a pond. It's no favor!

Hey -- if you want to see photos or our duck, check our my weblink:

http://home.comcast.net/~d.kney/

Thanks!

deb
    I love ducks! They quack me up!

quackersduck,

Cute duck, handsome doggie. Cool hat.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

OH YEAH ... the hat MAKES the outfit, dontcha think???

Gimme enough snow and I'll wear just about anything out there!!

brrr ..... speaking of snow ... we are getting MORE today ... what gives??

Poor little Ms. Quack does NOT want to leave her pen ... I offered .. .several times, but she is all snuggly .... brrr....

deb
    I love ducks! They quack me up!

As some one who has worked with thew fish and game dept for years.you had better check with you local dept. as in most states it is illeagal to raise and release unless you are a licensed game farm. There are many carriered diseases form domestic to wild game . Even if your ducks appear healthy you don't know what they may carry . We just had a guy turn loose his deer and it cause a problem as they had a mouth disorder that cause the death of a small herd that as tax payer we had gotten started in a area again. all had to be KILLED.
    It's a noble and nice idea to try to help nature regain balance but it has to be done in the proper way or it can be even more devastating to the wild population.

Originally posted by Corinna
    As some one who has worked with thew fish and game dept for years.you had better check with you local dept. as in most states it is illeagal to raise and release unless you are a licensed game farm. There are many carriered diseases form domestic to wild game . Even if your ducks appear healthy you don't know what they may carry . We just had a guy turn loose his deer and it cause a problem as they had a mouth disorder that cause the death of a small herd that as tax payer we had gotten started in a area again. all had to be KILLED.
    It's a noble and nice idea to try to help nature regain balance but it has to be done in the proper way or it can be even more devastating to the wild population.
    Amen.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

***AS I HAVE SAID, WE WILL NOT BE RELEASING THE DUCKS, THE WOMEN IS KEEPING THEM IN A PEN OR IN A BARN AT ALL TIME, THESE DUCKS WILL NOT BE GOING WILD, THEY WILL BE PETS***

That is soo cute! I have some questions if you don't mind me asking!

We were considering buiklding a pen in our back yard (it would have wire fence around it then wooden fence around the whole yard, we also have no predetors but dogs in our neighborhood) We would get a kiddie pool for them to swim in of course. Do you have to clean up his pen? Like pick up poop? How has he adjusted to the winters? Does he have a house in his pen? How much does it cost (monthly) to keep him? Where do you get your food??

Thanx a bunch!

Ash