Thread: I need your opnion

I need your opnion

I have the chance to rescue 2 ducks from a meat farm. This person has 17 thousand ducks. He said he would give me 2 cause he knows how I like to rescue animals (I was joking aroudn with him one day)

These ducks have never swam in water, seen outside or touched grass.

Should I get them and contact this local man who will then care for them (we don't have indoor facilities to house them) or should I let "nature" take it's course??

I'm so torn.

Ash
    Last edited by Aspen and Misty; 03-16-2004 at 12:26 PM.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I think you should atleast rescue 1 if not 2. Im sure you could give them a GREAT new home! Have you talked it over with your parents and stuff?? If you arent allowed then you should help find another good home.
    ~*~green_chameleon_girl~*~
    R.I.P Rex
    - _HeAtHer_-

Thanks MANDAMOO!!!!

If it is ok with your parents & you have room & money to care for them I would say to get them!!!!!!

You can always make a sort of dog house for them to go into when the weather is bad.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Oh, that's sad. Poor duckies - I'd definately take them - but only if you can keep them youself. Like lv4dogs said, you could build a pen with a dog house in it for them. Good luck!!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

I used to have ducks. Great animals. If you let nature take its course, they'd probably get eaten by a wild animal. My ducks were only outdoors (but stayed in a pen during the night) and never flew away. They had their own kiddie pool that they loved to splash in. The only flaw about having ducks is that they're very messy. They poop everywhere and they have very gross poop lol. My ducks ate chicken scratch, I think it was, as well as lettuce, snails, and earthworms (which they loooved). I'm so glad you're kind enough to rescue some of these wonderful animals. If your parents aren't ready to set up a pen for them maybe you should give them to the guy you said you know who can take care of them. I'm sure that they would love to step in or splash in some shallow water, such as in a kiddie pool, even though they've never seen water before. Ducks take to water pretty naturally. Good luck!! Keep us updated on what you decide to do and what happens with the ducks.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I'd contact the possible home first, and then get the ducks! If you get them first and the sanctuary person says "no" then you'll be in a predicament. I had a rescued duckling for some years. Jemimah was hatched right out of the shell and then swept into a river where some friends and I were hanging out years ago. I was wading in the water when I spotted a tiny thing floating, and scooped a newborn duckling out of the water! When a bird hatches from an egg they imprint on the first thing they see, so I became mama to this tiny fluffball. I tried numerous times to release her into her natural environment with other mallards, but she always thought she was human and would tremble in fear at the other ducks! Poor thing! We had her for a good eight years before she passed away from natural causes. Go for it if you can rescue a few ducks from someones plate! You'll feel better for it!

Rescue places for ducks

http://www.geocities.com/petducksrus/

By all means give the guys a fighting chance. Ducks make great pets and even a adult duck will bond with you and make you part of the flock. See the site above and the corresponding ones as well. We have listed places where ducks are welcome in many locations around the states. RUN don't walk and get those darling ducks.
    Nibbles

Nibbles, I wasn't aloud to adopt them if I didn't have a home. I spent 3 hours on the phone last night talking to 3 diffrent people, I've called 3 rescues and a local pound. I've emailed 6 rescues and none of them to could them. Then, I finally got ahold of a rescue, a horse rescue no less, who would take them! If you think I've been "walking" at all, then you're wrong! It's been run run run ever since I've heard about them!

So I have 2 sweet duckies in the kitchen, they are all nice and clean from there VERY FIRST BATH, ever! They are having a great time being loud, quacking, LOL. They are sweeties to! A little hard to catch, but once you have them they will fall alseep! If I could keep them I would in a heart beat, but my dad says no

Here is a link to some pics

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...threadid=45907

They will be leaving tonight for there Rescue!

Ash

They look like pekin ducks. They looked as if they weren't as waterproof as they should be. Now that they get to bathe maybe they will do more preening to waterproof. They are sooo special. I only gave you the sies for the duck resuers incase you needed one. These people are all about ducks and they give ducks and geese wonderful homes and lives. So if you need them they will help. They always can give you information on food helth and breed. I'm glad they got a new permanent home. If they have questions they can go there too everyone is welcome.
    Nibbles

AWWWWWWWWWWWww the pics are adorable!
    ~*~green_chameleon_girl~*~
    R.I.P Rex
    - _HeAtHer_-

Thanks MANDAMOO!!!!