Thread: spayed

spayed

We are planning on getting both of our Boston terriers spayed next month as we don't plan on breeding them and since it is healthier for them. I am worried about possible complications but the vet said there was a blood test that could be done to minimize the chance of something bad happening during the surgery. Does anyone know what the blood test checks for? How could a blood test tell if complications could arise in surgery? They are both under two years old and in good health but I can't help being concered. I've never had any pets go through surgery. Also, should I get them both done at the same time so one wouldn't be trying to play with the other during recovery. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Jessica

CONGRATS on getting them spayed! Hooray! I am sure they will do just fine! But pre-surgical bloodwork is a good piece of mind & also can alert you of any problems that may affect your dog. They test for multiple things (depends on the actual panel you or your dr. chooses) but it ussually includes heartworm test (although a seperate test, should be performed on all dogs especially before anesthesia),they pretty much make sure all the vital organs are working properly like the kidney, live, panceas & thyroid, it also ussually tests for glucose & electrolytes.
    here is a good site w/ some valuable info:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/pha/cp.html

good luck & again thamkyou for being a responsible owner!!!!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

lv4dogs, thank you again for the info. both of the sites you recommended on my threads were very helpful. I'm sure they will both be fine during their surgery. I guess I'm just a worrier, especially when it comes to my girls. They're my babies

Jessica
    Last edited by lovemybostons; 03-17-2004 at 06:14 AM.