Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malamute with floppy ears ?!

Malamute with floppy ears ?!

I have a 2-year-old malamute and her ears are still down. I don't know what to do. She is a mix, but she doesn't even look like anything. Is it too late to do something about it?

Renats

Is it a necessity to have her ears erect?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

It's part of the breed, if there is something that I can do without injure to the dog, I would like so.

No, there's really nothing you can do but love her the way she is! In breeds like German Shepherds, they sometimes "tape" the ears upright when they are puppies so the cartilage doesn't get "broken" and the ears grow upright, but that has to be done when they are young pups, and still growing.

I bet she's pretty anyway, what color(s) is she?

I concur with Karen. There's nothing you can do but love her like she is.

My dog had erect ears, but injured the one so now it's floppy. It just makes her unique.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

You say she is a mix right, well what is she mixed w/? it may be a floppy eared dog. You say she looks like nothing besides a malamute, well she does look like something else, some breed w/ floppy ears.
    When they are young puppies you can try to tape the ears up w/ special tape but for it to work it basically depends on the size (tall & thickness) of the ears. Occasionnally you will get a purebred erect eared dog & the ears just won't stay up.

I would just leave her be, she is in natural stage, why would want to change that?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Maddie is a malamute/wolf mix, supposedly. She has the coat and markings of a malamute, the face and leaness of a wolf, and the colors are a little weird. She used to have a lot of brown as a puppy that is now turning into a light tan, although her ears are brown still. Most people who don't know the breeds thinks she looks like a german sheperd. I'll try to post of picture of her, she is gorgeous and so smart too.

I was just wondering about her ears, I love her not matter what. Although she does lives with my ex-husband who wants to give our dogs up, and I live in a tiny apartment and work all day. I have them with me for the weekend, but they have no room to run. It's sad, but I might have to give her up, it breaks my heart.

First of all, I just wanted to say welcome to PT! I'm amazed--somebody else from Utah!

I'm so sorry to hear about the situation you and your dogs are in. I know how malamutes/huskies are, they go crazy if they can't run! I hope everything works out ok!

Here's a picture of Maddie, although not a very good one. We were laying in the sun this weekend as it warmed up a bit here in SLC.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is it possible that she's wolf/mal/something else? I saw something else other than wolf and mal. But anywho, there's not alot you could do right now except for maybe cropping her ears at the vets but, I think that'd be too painful for her.

My youngest Sheltie is supposed to have tipped ears but they're natural cause we didn't know what to do with them so now, they're floppy but he's just as adorable.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Is it possible that she's wolf/mal/something else? I saw something else other than wolf and mal. But anywho, there's not alot you could do right now except for maybe cropping her ears at the vets but, I think that'd be too painful for her.

My youngest Sheltie is supposed to have tipped ears but they're natural cause we didn't know what to do with them so now, they're floppy but he's just as adorable.
    I too thought I saw somthing other than just mal & wolf, the ears, the muzzle, the coloring.

he is a doll though. I'd take him anyday LOL
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

So what else do you guys think she might be? I'm curious now..
    Her father was the one who had wolf in him and he was all white actually. Her mother... I can't quite remember her but she did look like a malamute/husky type and was black and white.

i think it looks like he has GSD in him.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Originally posted by lute
    i think it looks like he has GSD in him.
    I see GSD, lab and of course the malamute/wolf

do you have any full body shots?
    he is a cutie

I see the wolf/mal and maybe some shepherd and lab as well. I actually immediately thought of Aussie when I saw it but I'm not sure why..maybe it's the ears.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]