Thread: Teeth

Teeth

I have a question about my Brittany's teeth. My Brittany is almost 5 years old. She is a normal dog that chews on bones, greenies, and other chewable toys that keep her teeth somewhat clean. The Vet the other day suggested to have a complete cleaning of her teeth. She would be put under and her teeth would be plaque free. Is this worth doing? Is it needed to keep her teeth healthy? The cost is $115 which is a discounted special they are running this month. Any suggestions on this would be helpful.
    Brook

I say its worth it. The plaque will come back if you don't do some routine maintenance to the teeth though (chewies, brushing, etc). If you're not sure she REALLY needs it, you could get a second opinion from another vet. It may be better to do it before she gets into her older years.

I think I paid around the same price for my Poodle's teeth to be done. I hated the first day when he was so groggy, but his teeth looked great and he still felt good enough to rip into the dental treat container the vet had given us!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Cleaning Teeth worth it!

It may be expensive but worth it. I just adopted a 10 year old dog and he would not eat. His breath smells awful. I could not figure out why he would not eat. I looked into his mouth and alot of his teeth were missing!!!
    Now I have to add water to his dry food and have it soften before he can chew it. I can tell he is pain when he tries to eat milkbones.
    IT is SOOO worth preventing this condition. Brushing a dogs teeth is one of the best overlooked but necessary health care we can provide to our dogs. Maybe try to brush your dogs teeth after this on a weekly basis. You may want to shop around for a cheaper price as well. Hope this helps.

Scooby - Bless you for adopting an older dog!!!!!!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Thanks ally!

I also have 2 other adopted dogs. The ten year old has cataracts, going blind and deaf, and may have a cancer spot on his head! I changed his name to "Dirtnap" so I would not get attached. Well, now I am attached and he listens to the name!